Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

porsche extended warranty worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2008, 07:01 PM
sako
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default porsche extended warranty worth it?

I am buying a 2006 porsche 911s and was wondering if the extended porsche warranty is worth it and how much would be a good price to extend the warranty 2years/100k miles. I have a warranty on my MB from warranty direct and they have been pretty good so far. Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 12-14-2008, 07:25 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 249 Likes on 220 Posts
Default Depends upon if a major repair bill would hurt you financially...

Originally Posted by sako
I am buying a 2006 porsche 911s and was wondering if the extended porsche warranty is worth it and how much would be a good price to extend the warranty 2years/100k miles. I have a warranty on my MB from warranty direct and they have been pretty good so far. Any advice would be appreciated.
Worst case would be the engine died and you have to replace engine. I don't know what it costs, but its not cheap. WAG around $15000.

OTOH, a 2 year, 100,000 mile warranty is really just a 2 year and a few thousand miles waranty unless you plan on driving the car 50,000 miles over the next two years and actually do drive that much or close to it.

Problems are almost always mileage related not time related and unless you rack up lots of miles, to the point any warranty expires on miles and not on time you've not gotten full use of the money you paid for the warranty. Warranty companies count on most warranties expiring on time and not miles so they actually write coverage for a reasonable amount of time and miles. (Admit it: That 100,000 mile number caught your eye, eh?)

To close, it depends upon the rep. of the company offering the warranty (though if offered from Porsche that removes the rep issue) and what is covered, under what conditions and restrictions. Pays to read the fine print *before* you fork over the money.

And unless you are sure you're going to keep the car to the end of its warranty (extended service is a better label) period a plus is if you can get a pro-rated refund of the unused portion of hte coverage or pass the coverage on should you sell the car privately -- helps sell the car to have a good warranty/extended service plan that goes with the car -- or even dispose of it as a trade-in.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 12-14-2008, 07:53 PM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I think it's worth it. I bought my Carrera S w/the extended warranty. When I sold it, I got a prorated refund. Hard to lose in that case...
Old 12-14-2008, 09:17 PM
sharmat
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Are you all talking about CPO warranty or 3rd party warranty. I would't go for for the 3rd party type.
Old 12-15-2008, 03:12 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

It is like most. if not all, insurance policies in that the odds are in favor of the insurance company making money and you losing money. If the majority of people who bought extended warranties came out of the deal ahead, then the people backing the insurance/warranty, such as Porsche would be out of business. I guess it comes down to how much it eases your mind to have the extended coverage.
Old 12-15-2008, 03:39 PM
sbpsu354
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm a big fan of CPO warranties. The one on my Audi A6 4.2 saved me on a number of occasions. A simple seat bracket cost $1k plus labor to replace. With the Audi CPO program, I was only $50 out of pocket. The CPO program costs an Audi dealer approx 1200 to 1800 per car depending on the vehicle. If the cost to the dealer and thus the customer for the Porsche CPO is similar, then it's worth it to me. My 03 996 is a CPO car, and the peace of mind is great!
Old 12-15-2008, 04:07 PM
BobbyB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As with most insurance policies, it's a gamble if you'll need it. With these cars, I would say there is more than a 75% chance you will use it. I've used after market warranties with good success with and now I have the new and improved warranty thru Porsche. No deductible, just bring it in and go.
Old 12-15-2008, 04:18 PM
triode
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 19 Posts

With the parts & labor prices on these cars, plus the well-documented IMS and RMS issues, I would not be without the factory CPO coverage.
Old 12-15-2008, 04:44 PM
DanJK
Racer

More than a 75% chance? I don't buy it. Literally.

2k - 3k or more for a couple years of warranty.

Did I drop into the 996 forum on accident? IMS?

I would put the money for the warranty in the bank.

I do tend to agree that you can recover some of a CPO on resale. But that is different story.
Old 12-15-2008, 04:54 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 291 Likes on 146 Posts

I just bought my car with it

$1,800.....worth the peace of mind to me
Old 12-15-2008, 05:00 PM
vyper340
Pro

Originally Posted by DanJK

I do tend to agree that you can recover some of a CPO on resale. But that is different story.

I agree! It's generally not a good idea since the odds are that you will not need it or if you do the item may not be covered. If those companis paid out more than they didn't they wouldn't make any money.
Old 12-15-2008, 05:38 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Let me make sure I'm understanding this right (correct me where I'm wrong)...

CPO = Certified Pre Owned? This would be a warranty on a used car purchase, from the manufacturer.

Extended warranty would be warranty coverage that kicks in after the CPO or factory new car warranty expires, correct?

Who has purchased that? I plan on keeping the car for a long, long time. It its know the car will develop certain expensive problems 6-10 years down the road, I should do the math on the warranty cost and repair costs and see what make sense.

For the new car warranty, if it doesn't break in the first year, its probably good from the factory in terms of material/workmanship. The extended warranties are about covering the 'bad design' issues that cause premature failure in parts, right?
Old 12-15-2008, 07:13 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 249 Likes on 220 Posts
Default CPO is certified pre-owned and is offered from the manufacturer... It helps...

Originally Posted by Minok
Let me make sure I'm understanding this right (correct me where I'm wrong)...

CPO = Certified Pre Owned? This would be a warranty on a used car purchase, from the manufacturer.

Extended warranty would be warranty coverage that kicks in after the CPO or factory new car warranty expires, correct?

Who has purchased that? I plan on keeping the car for a long, long time. It its know the car will develop certain expensive problems 6-10 years down the road, I should do the math on the warranty cost and repair costs and see what make sense.

For the new car warranty, if it doesn't break in the first year, its probably good from the factory in terms of material/workmanship. The extended warranties are about covering the 'bad design' issues that cause premature failure in parts, right?

dealers move used cars and at a higher profit than otherwise. It is supposed to be a good warranty/extended service plan though. There have been more than a few posts detailing serious problems and with CPO present they were taken care of.

There doesn't seem to be much abuse of this CPO by dealers slapping the CPO label on a piece of cr*p and passing it off as CPO. Still just because a car is CPO labeled doesn't mean one should skimp on his PPI and evaluation of the vehicle.

An extended warranty/service plan either available from Porsche (if Porsche offers such a thing and I've never been driven to find out) or from some 3rd party company usually runs concurrently with any other coverage. Like factory warranty.

Say if you were to buy a 7 year, 100,000 plan, it would start at same time car put into service, which means if you bought car 4 years ago and had put 40,000 miles on it, and then bought this 7/100K plan the coverage would run for just the next 3 years and 60,000 miles. But check the fine print. There may be exceptions.

Just because nothing occurs in the 1st year of ownership is no sign there's not a serious problem. Many owners have reported serious engine problems years after purchase and of course long after car out of warranty coverage.

Problems seldom are time related. Most are miles related. A car bought new and allowed to spend most of its warranty period in a garage racking up just a few thousand miles a year until the warranty expires due to time may develop a serious engine problem as the miles accumulate.

I've read some pretty sad letters by used Porsche owners who sought out a low mileage well-cared for car and paid a premium for it only to have a serious engine problem develop a problem that was no longer covered because the warranty expired.

There are exceptions but generally you are better off simply banking the money you'd pay for any extended warranty and if something does go wrong tap that money. That is the odds are with the warranty company, otherwise it couldn't offer the coverage at the relatively low prices these plans sell for.

Sure, there are some owners who've had thousands of dollars of repairs covered by an extended warranty. But for most of us -- I bought an extended warranty years ago for another brand of car and never had any claim that was covered...-- we pay the money and never ever have any need of the coverage. There is only the peace of mind benefit, which is not to be dismissed.

If the thought of a large repair bill keeps you awake at nights, buy a quality warranty/extended service contract from a reputable company -- but be darn sure you know what you are buying and from whom.

You spend the money up front but at least you know the extent of how much money you have at risk going forward.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 12-15-2008, 08:51 PM
BobbyB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DanJK

You don't buy it? You don't buy that there is more than a 75% chance you will use the extended warranty once the factory warranty runs out? I certainly did, I didn't have many repairs but of the repairs I had, they more than paid for the extended warranty, including an IMS. Add to that a few other repairs, that totaled much more the cost of the extended warranty. Then when I sold the car, I sold of the price paid, returned. I paid less than $2k. Plus the CPO warranty (at least I was told the ones they are selling now) work just like the original factory warranty.
Old 12-15-2008, 09:02 PM
BobbyB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally I thought Porsche CPO cars came with the extended warranty from Porsche. Then I learned that a CPO car only meant that the car had been checked out and passed their inspection. If you wanted the extended warranty, that's an extra cost and until this year only the warranty only covered certain things. Now Porsche's extended warranty for CPO cars covers everything the original factory warranty covers.
However, Porsche dealers also sell extended warranties not affiliated with Porsche. As others have said, read the small print, these could be a little tricky.

Quick Reply: porsche extended warranty worth it?