Sponsored by:

Replacing stock shocks

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 10:25 PM
geoff w
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing stock shocks

2005 Carrera, tip, no PASM, 49+K miles, stock suspension, street use only. Four wheel alignment earlier this week at Johnson's Alignment in Torrance and was told a front shock was worn but not leaking yet. Dealer service said shocks not covered by warranty as they are a wear item.

Any recommendations whether to just get new OEM shocks, or replace all around with Bilstein HDs? It's my wife's daily driver, so PSS9s would be a total waste. Are the Bilstein HDs essentially the same a stock, or a noticeable improvement?
Old 01-01-2009, 11:24 PM
996toomey
Three Wheelin'

Received 46 Likes on 21 Posts

I was doing a search on Ebay yesterday for springs and ran across some OEM takeoffs for very reasonable price if you want to go that route.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/_Car-...1%7C240%3A1318
Old 01-02-2009, 12:25 PM
geoff w
Advanced

Originally Posted by 996toomey
I was doing a search on Ebay yesterday for springs and ran across some OEM takeoffs for very reasonable price if you want to go that route.

Thanks for the pointer. I don't know anything about working on suspensions, so will be paying to have the work done. At that point, I figure I'll buy new, with full warranty, so there's no questions if there is a problem about whether it's related to defective parts or installation.

Has anybody had to replace their stock 997 shocks with similar street shocks, or does everybody go with something for the track? Or is my car so much higher mileage than typical for a 997 at this point?
Old 01-02-2009, 10:21 PM
NYNick
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I've got 'em, I think!

Buy them from me! I've got all four shocks from my 2003 996 Cab4, plus sway bars if you want them, from when I put the X74 suspension on it when I had only 3000 miles on the car. Check with the dealer to see if they'll fit your car.

My car is gone, but the shocks are in my garage. How's $950 plus shipping sound? pm if interested.

Nick
Old 01-04-2009, 08:43 PM
cvazquez
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Bilstein HDs ride is a noticeable improvement, however, they are harsh compared to the ride smoothness of the OEM. IMO would only change the one going bad and not all fours.
Old 01-04-2009, 11:56 PM
geoff w
Advanced

Originally Posted by cvazquez
The Bilstein HDs ride is a noticeable improvement, however, they are harsh compared to the ride smoothness of the OEM. IMO would only change the one going bad and not all fours.
If not as smooth as OEM, is the improvement in handling? Overall ride?

Thank you - you're the first person who seems to know what the difference is!
Old 01-04-2009, 11:59 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

At 49k miles the shocks are definitely worn even though only one may be "shot". The rears take the brunt of carrying the weight, while the fronts carry it under braking and turning. Considering that mileage I would replace all 4. At the very least replace the front 2 as the car will feel unbalanced with 1 new and 1 worn with 49k....
Old 01-05-2009, 12:01 AM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by geoff w
2005 Carrera, tip, no PASM, 49+K miles, stock suspension, street use only. Four wheel alignment earlier this week at Johnson's Alignment in Torrance and was told a front shock was worn but not leaking yet. Dealer service said shocks not covered by warranty as they are a wear item.

Any recommendations whether to just get new OEM shocks, or replace all around with Bilstein HDs? It's my wife's daily driver, so PSS9s would be a total waste. Are the Bilstein HDs essentially the same a stock, or a noticeable improvement?
What did Steve suggest?

PS: What is the cost of OEM vs the Bilstein HD's?
Old 01-05-2009, 12:25 PM
geoff w
Advanced

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
What did Steve suggest?

PS: What is the cost of OEM vs the Bilstein HD's?
Steve (Alarcon) suggested the Bilstein HDs - replace all 4 - and said the car would ride much better. They quoted $1,716 for the parts, but shox.com has F/R listed for $939. Install is extra, and he'll redo the alignment as part of the deal. Bilsteins come with a lifetime warranty, OEMs have the regular Porsche 2 year parts warranty (I assume).

I haven't talked to the dealer about cost. My regular service advisor was off last week. I also need to see what Sunset charges for the OEM shocks.

I have found tons of information on installing the PSS9s, but essentially nothing on replacement shocks, which is surprising, since so many 911s are only driven on the street

Quick Reply: Replacing stock shocks