Bluetooth hands free profile__what phones

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 04:53 PM
GreggT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Question Bluetooth hands free profile__what phones

I'm 'phone ignorant' sorry (our other cars have their own systems, etc) ... but the wife's new 997.2 was ordered with PCM Voice Control (671) and Bluetooth interface (619) ... and the spec says the phone needs to support BlueTooth HandsFree Profile 1.1 or higher.

Any suggestion on a good phone that fits that capability? (small for the purse )
And .... is a phone that has BlueTooth capability the same as a phone that supports BlueTooth HandsFree Profiles?

TIA for any suggestions

Last edited by GreggT; 01-13-2009 at 05:09 PM.
Old 01-13-2009, 05:06 PM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 72 Posts

I use one of the original iphones and the pairing was quick and easy and my address book is displayed on the nav screen when I want to make a call. Easy and a great feature.
Old 01-13-2009, 05:24 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 393 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by f4 plt
I use one of the original iphones and the pairing was quick and easy and my address book is displayed on the nav screen when I want to make a call. Easy and a great feature.
Can you dial hands-free, i.e. via voice recognition?
Old 01-13-2009, 06:21 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Bluetooth is the radio interface specification. The profiles are software specifications that determine what sort of data can be exchanged. Just check the the phone's you are looking at for hands free profile. I would say almost any bluetooth capable cell phone will support the Hands Free Profile (HFP).

The trickier one is the profile needed to get the phonebook to download from the cell phone into the PCM. That profile is not always supported by every phone (Verizon/Samsung are ones I know that are spotty), so watch out there.

What I'd do (as I'm looking to upgrade my cell device as well) is validate any claims by the literature (which can be wrong - it is in Verizon's case) or the salesman (salesmen always make up stuff when they don't actually know the answer, its in their nature) by getting a test phone and borrowing it for a day so you can take it home and pair it up with the car and see that it syncs the phone book and does the HFP thing.

For me, I'm sticking with Verizon, because I need the network coverage area. That said, I need to pick a phone from their proprietary CDMA network that does HFP and Phonebook Sync. My 2.5 year old Samsung does the HFP, but not the phonebook sync.. so I'll be testing any future phone purchases before I commit.

On voice dialing.. yes you can voice dial. But given my Samsung/Verizon phone doesn't support phonebook download (contrary to the verizon wireless website PDF sheet on compatibility of the Samsung a930 with bluetooth car kits which neither Verizon nor Samsung will acknowledge the existance of or correct (the specific firmware version that is needed that no one claims to have) )... so I've not been able to test the dialing yet.
Old 01-13-2009, 06:22 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 255 Likes on 119 Posts

Any recent cell phone with bluetooth supports Profile 1.1 or better. The profile describes the feature set of the bluetooth implementation.
Sort of like Porsche = Bluetooth and 997 Carrera = profile.

best,
Old 01-13-2009, 06:42 PM
GreggT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks fellas ... I'm starting to get it.
Looks like HFP is one of about 15 BT Profiles .... the HFP's job is to bring phone functions to the car's system (the car's spkr / microphone / PCM).

I also see on that on the Profile list ... Sync Profile and PBAP (Phone Book Access Profile).

Last edited by GreggT; 01-14-2009 at 10:00 AM.
Old 01-13-2009, 06:49 PM
richc
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To get my Iphone address book to download in my '09 with Bluetooth, I moved it to my wifes Blackberry and downloaded it from her phone. I then paired up my Iphone with the car and all works well.
Old 01-13-2009, 07:13 PM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

My iphone (original) downloaded without a problem to the nav screen and is there every time I wish to access it. Now the question as to dialing hands free not entirely I press phone on the nav screen which brings up the address book. I scroll through to find the pary I want press the touch screen. I think i also have to press another button on the nav screen. when I want to end the call i press "end call on the nav screen. I leave the phone in the little cubby hole below the nav uni. Very easy and my eyes stay on the road. I think Porsche did a great job when compared to other units I have tried. I honestly don't know if it has voice recognition or not ... guess I have to read the book.

I want to try the ipod set up also . I do not keep music on my iphone but have an original ipod. Just two more improvements on the 2009.
Old 01-13-2009, 07:25 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

My iphone (original) downloaded without a problem to the nav screen and is there every time I wish to access it. Now the question as to dialing hands free not entirely I press phone on the nav screen which brings up the address book. I scroll through to find the pary I want press the touch screen. I think i also have to press another button on the nav screen. when I want to end the call i press "end call on the nav screen. I leave the phone in the little cubby hole below the nav uni. Very easy and my eyes stay on the road. I think Porsche did a great job when compared to other units I have tried. I honestly don't know if it has voice recognition or not ... guess I have to read the book.

I want to try the ipod set up also . I do not keep music on my iphone but have an original ipod. Just two more improvements on the 2009.
Can't you access the Address book and phone controls from the OBC with the lower left stalk as well??
Old 01-13-2009, 07:30 PM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MJones
Can't you access the Address book and phone controls from the OBC with the lower left stalk as well??
Don't know but I will try it tomorrow and report.
Old 01-13-2009, 08:02 PM
RED HORSE
Race Car

Received 128 Likes on 70 Posts

Not completely "hands free" but if you have the multifunction steering wheel all the iPhone (original) functions are displayed on the PCM screen but you never have to remove your hands from the wheel.
Old 01-14-2009, 09:53 PM
mstams
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Having problems with the Motorola Q9c in my new car. Phone is found and address book transfers with no issue. However, locks up when trying to dial or receive calls. Think it's the phone. Not surprised, though. Similar issues with my wife's '06 A6.
Old 01-15-2009, 10:08 AM
GreggT
Addict
Rennlist Member

OK .... still learning here but ...... the SIM card approach for phone-car interconnect....
Can someone explain that?
Am I on-track if I understand that as more of a manual swap of info between a phone's SIM and a SIM slot on a car? ....... vs wireless BlueTooth communication? .... or am I oversimplifying here?

So far .... I'm finding most phone reps have little clue what I'm talking about .... not too surprising.
I have no doubt I'll be able to sell phones when I'm done w/this
Old 01-17-2009, 06:32 PM
jgolf53
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blackberries work great

My bberry pearl with blue tooth was a breeze to set up with my new C4S, The PCM interface is easy to access address book; call ins come in nicely no glitch yet. Dialing out and scrolling thru is simple with the steering wheel controls. The only weakness of bluetooth on your phone is that it will shorten battery life when it is on. No if I could just read my emails on that PCM screen
cheers,
Old 01-18-2009, 04:22 AM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by GreggT
OK .... still learning here but ...... the SIM card approach for phone-car interconnect....
Can someone explain that?
Am I on-track if I understand that as more of a manual swap of info between a phone's SIM and a SIM slot on a car? ....... vs wireless BlueTooth communication? .... or am I oversimplifying here?

So far .... I'm finding most phone reps have little clue what I'm talking about .... not too surprising.
I have no doubt I'll be able to sell phones when I'm done w/this

SIM - you have TWO options:

1) Car phone prep - where you put your phones SIM card (or a clone of the SIM card) into the SIM slot on the PCM. Your car them becomes a clone of your own phone... its a stand alone phone (your cell isn't needed).

2) Bluetooth with SAP (SIM Access Profile). Again, the phone is the car, however, rather than you putting a SIM into the car, the bluetooth connection reads out the SIM from your cell phone and uses that to make the call, but uses the car's antenna, amp, electronics for the call.

You must have a cell phone with a SIM card to use these two methods and the two methods are two different phone preps/ options from the factory.

Third, phone option: No SIM. Then there's the regular bluetooth HFP (hands free profile) which does not use any SIM, but just connects to the cell phone, and the car is only the speaker, mic and dialing/keypad system. Any bluetooth phone can work in this capacity these days.

What ticks me off is the cell companies are tight lipped and/or ignorant about the capabilities of thier phones. Went to Verizon to see about a new phone, and they don't have loaners or free return policies anymore. Given I cannot trust their documentation for the phones (since their documentation is dead wrong about the capabilities of the current phone I have form them in this regard) I must actually test out the phone to know it works right in bluetooth mode. Amazing that the cell phone industry is still so incredibly poorly run.

Quick Reply: Bluetooth hands free profile__what phones