Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche brings out worst in other drivers?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 02:55 PM
yemenmocha
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Porsche brings out worst in other drivers?

WTH? Twice in one drive today.

First, I'm on the entrance ramp and about to merge at highway speed and a jacked up truck decides he wants to be in front of me since the entrance ramp becomes the exit ramp for the next exit in .01 - 0.3 miles. He's exiting, so you'd figure he would be slowing down. No, he mashes the gas and gets up to 85+ to try and be in front of me. I did nothing to provoke this.

Second, at the red light with top down, another truck owner decides to strike up a rather unfriendly conversation. Again, I said or did nothing. And it's not like I have a flashy colored car.

Unbelievable!
Old 01-21-2009, 02:58 PM
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 196 Likes on 131 Posts

They figure you are rich and arrogant drivin that fancy car....same thing happens on I-95 here.
Old 01-21-2009, 03:01 PM
yemenmocha
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Almost without exception it is the truck owners who do this.
Old 01-21-2009, 04:04 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by yemenmocha
Almost without exception it is the truck owners who do this.
It happens when I'm in my Benz.

+1 on it being mostly trucks.
Old 01-21-2009, 04:11 PM
Ucube
Three Wheelin'

I don't know by traffic laws who actually has the right of way, but I always yield to the exiting vehicles whenever I'm merging on an on-ramp. As far as the unfriendly encounters, I'd expect that to be more rampant and frequent especially given the current economic environment.
Old 01-21-2009, 04:14 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

My daily driver Is Titan and I go out of my way to extend courtesies to all Porsche drivers. Is that wrong?
Old 01-21-2009, 04:32 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by yemenmocha
WTH? Twice in one drive today.
He's exiting, so you'd figure he would be slowing down. No, he mashes the gas and gets up to 85+ to try and be in front of me. I did nothing to provoke this.
Been there. There are some, dare I say many, drivers that just don't know how to merge and exit/enter well. What can you do. They need to be 'in front'. If it doesn't interfere with your driving (did he force you off the road?) then I just let them waste their gas and chuckle to myself. Typically, I use the rules I learned when I learned to drive in Germany; if the exiting car is 1/2 car or more in front of me trying to exit/enter while I'm entering the freeway, I slow down and try to to change lanes behind them. Same rule, regardless of me entering or exiting on those mixer lanes, because everyone should be near highway speed in the middle of them anyway. The reason, its just easier for the car in the back to know when they can change lanes than the car in front.. so my ducking behind them in their lane should let them know they are clear to enter the lane I was in. Both cars should be using signals of course.

Around here in the Seattle area, we have issues with people entering the interstate and wanting to accelerate and get right into the center (of 3) or left most lane asap.. for no other reason than 'because'. Puzzles me when I see it... that they have to change across 2 lanes in about 100 feet... why? Just like the drivers that come out of the left lane and hold up traffic as they try to make thier way to the right most lane... only to not need to exit the next exit at all and continue straight. Whats up with that. You have a mile to change 2 lanes.. then use it... don't do it all in 200 yards needlessly.
Old 01-21-2009, 10:40 PM
cole328
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

OK...going to be blunt here..I know i am generalizing, but WTF...if you drive a pick-up as a DD, you're likely an a-- hole....something about them all having "inverted *****" syndrome... Especially here in FL, these pick-up drivers truly are clowns.
Old 01-21-2009, 11:29 PM
Jlangmd
Racer

I haven't seen this as much in truck drivers. I have had a number of pickup drivers and the 18 wheelers yell complimentary things, have not had anyone direct bad language or gestures at me (yet). I find the trucks are every bit as discourteous when I am driving my minivan.

I think that the G35 drivers and M3 drivers are the worst. They all have something to prove.
Old 01-21-2009, 11:35 PM
swajames
Racer

Originally Posted by Jlangmd
I haven't seen this as much in truck drivers. I have had a number of pickup drivers and the 18 wheelers yell complimentary things, have not had anyone direct bad language or gestures at me (yet). I find the trucks are every bit as discourteous when I am driving my minivan.

I think that the G35 drivers and M3 drivers are the worst. They all have something to prove.
Out here in the Bay Area I'd have to say it's also the pick drivers who top the list but I see a lot of needlessly aggressive driving from E46 330i drivers and E39 540 drivers (with the odd E39 M5 thrown in for good measure). Haven't seen too much in the way of aggressive driving from M3 drivers to be fair.
Old 01-21-2009, 11:48 PM
Landy
1st Gear

The medical term is buried or hidden ***** not inverted but it still makes them dicks on the road. When gas was more expensive it kept these trunks parked. Too bad their back on the road again.
Old 01-22-2009, 12:01 AM
jsmirand
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What you'll never know is if you were driving a Toyota Camry in those exact same two situations, if any, one, or both would of also happened. Remember, even in a normal car, we still get frustrated with other drivers' actions. It may be that in a 911 we more rapidly map their actions to the car we are in, when possibly it might have happened no matter what.

I get a little more teasing from young ricers (immaturity at play, they would race a Miata if they felt a competition was at hand), and an occasional person trying to step on the gas a little harder relative to a nearby 911, but that's about all I've ever noted after 18 months of driving around Arizona in my 996 cab (beyond what I would expect in other cars).

The other danger is we get a big head - we think everyone is 'envious' of us because we like our 911s so much, and translate all reckless drivers to be about our car, when sometimes it may well be, but often, they are probably ahole (or impatient) drivers, and that's it (e.g. it ain't about us).
Old 01-22-2009, 12:02 AM
am722
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got a couple "Nice Porsh f_g!" comments from kids in trucks when I was living in Nashville. I think I had my hat on backwards both times, though, and probably admittedly looked like a d-bag. Shake it off, comes with the territory.
Old 01-22-2009, 12:22 AM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by cole328
OK...going to be blunt here..I know i am generalizing, but WTF...if you drive a pick-up as a DD, you're likely an a-- hole....something about them all having "inverted *****" syndrome... Especially here in FL, these pick-up drivers truly are clowns.
You are generalizing.

My DD in the winter, and what I sometimes drive to work in the summer, is a company 3/4 ton 4x4 diesel crewcab pickup. It's a great truck and is quite comfortable.

I drive it for a variety of reasons ... 100% writeoff, tows a big car trailer in the summer ... 4x4 in the winter with winter tires - snowstorms have to be huge to keep it off the road and it helps with perception. Customers and employees don't always appreciate a GT3 or Carrera S parked out front at the office.
Old 01-22-2009, 01:01 AM
MFC996
Instructor

Originally Posted by Crazy Canuck
You are generalizing.

My DD in the winter, and what I sometimes drive to work in the summer, is a company 3/4 ton 4x4 diesel crewcab pickup. It's a great truck and is quite comfortable.

I drive it for a variety of reasons ... 100% writeoff, tows a big car trailer in the summer ... 4x4 in the winter with winter tires - snowstorms have to be huge to keep it off the road and it helps with perception. Customers and employees don't always appreciate a GT3 or Carrera S parked out front at the office.
Amen. 'Course my other car's a Hummer so I'm sorta f*cked either way

Quick Reply: Porsche brings out worst in other drivers?