Sponsored by:

new car bugs or advice: awaiting delivery

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 07:34 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 126 Posts

Hey,--I'm just reporting what they tell you over there!
Old 01-25-2009, 02:01 AM
tx targa
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 37 Posts
Default avoid short trips...

I saw the avoid short trips advice. Is that just for new engines? I'm seriously thinking of getting a 05 or 06 997 as my only car (besides my wife's sedan) My commute to work is 7 miles (round trip) I would barely be warming up the car to and from work and running to lunch, etc.

When my 911 SC was my daily driver my independent mech used to tell me I needed to get it up to "operating temperature" more often.

How are 997's as short trip daily drivers? Would I be hurting the car?

Thanks,
tx targa

79 911 SC targa
01 Audi S4
Old 01-25-2009, 02:53 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 393 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by tx targa
I saw the avoid short trips advice. Is that just for new engines? I'm seriously thinking of getting a 05 or 06 997 as my only car (besides my wife's sedan) My commute to work is 7 miles (round trip) I would barely be warming up the car to and from work and running to lunch, etc.

When my 911 SC was my daily driver my independent mech used to tell me I needed to get it up to "operating temperature" more often.

How are 997's as short trip daily drivers? Would I be hurting the car?

Thanks,
tx targa

79 911 SC targa
01 Audi S4
Take the long way... short trips are bad for all engines.
Old 01-25-2009, 12:04 PM
grease
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
If the engine comes broken in... why keep it under 5kRPM?

I do agree that it's the whole car not just the engine that needs to be broken in. And that implies no steady state cruising at high speed on the autobhan (should something be off suspension-wise or elsewhere), thus implying not running high RPMs. I think that's why they say no more than 4kRPM for 2000 miles.

I do think though that a moderate engine break-in is a good thing in any case, as I do not believe the engine is broken-in from the factory. Heck, these engines continue to change and continue to open up all the way to 10k or even 20k miles. Drive moderately with varying RPMs. Not an easy thing to do for 2000 miles especially if those miles are long road miles. I also think that the engine should be moderately exercised with short romps progressively higher for very short periods of time with the oil at proper operating temp.
I agree that the engine is not near broken from the factory. The day after we picked up our '09 C2S Cab from dealer in Austin, TX we drove out to Phoenix, Az area to visit our daughter and family for Xmas, and then, of course, back to Austin - total approx 2400 miles over same route. The mileage out was 23.5 mpg, back was 25.5 mpg. This was with cruise control on both ways. The only difference - prior to driving back we let air out of the tires! The dealer had set the tire pressures a little over "full load" and the 911 rode like a truck. brought it down to 33/39, and we still got better mileage.

As an engineer, this means to me that some moving parts got " clearanced" a little better by the "internal machining" process going on inside the engine, transmission, driveline, and wheel bearing components.

BTW, Porsche recommends highway driving for first 2000 miles in the Owners Manual.

I strongly trust Porsche's recommendations on break-in - any company that can develop and build a car and engine as masterful as the 911 has my full attention. This car is a keeper, I expect to drive it for well over 100K miles.
Old 01-25-2009, 03:01 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 393 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by grease
I agree that the engine is not near broken from the factory. The day after we picked up our '09 C2S Cab from dealer in Austin, TX we drove out to Phoenix, Az area to visit our daughter and family for Xmas, and then, of course, back to Austin - total approx 2400 miles over same route. The mileage out was 23.5 mpg, back was 25.5 mpg. This was with cruise control on both ways. The only difference - prior to driving back we let air out of the tires! The dealer had set the tire pressures a little over "full load" and the 911 rode like a truck. brought it down to 33/39, and we still got better mileage.

As an engineer, this means to me that some moving parts got " clearanced" a little better by the "internal machining" process going on inside the engine, transmission, driveline, and wheel bearing components.

BTW, Porsche recommends highway driving for first 2000 miles in the Owners Manual.

I strongly trust Porsche's recommendations on break-in - any company that can develop and build a car and engine as masterful as the 911 has my full attention. This car is a keeper, I expect to drive it for well over 100K miles.
A long road trip is a quick way to do the break-in. However, it is not easy to vary RPMs when driving long stints on the interstate at constant speed.

Quick Reply: new car bugs or advice: awaiting delivery