Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm losing my MIND! Need to turn to my RL peeps for advice! (Car advice :D)

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 12:26 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question I'm losing my MIND! Need to turn to my RL peeps for advice! (Car advice :D)

So here I am, about 3 months away from my MB lease coming up. For those of you who don't know, or remember -

I drive a 2007 E350 Sport- RWD. Had great luck with this car, and honestly it's one of the best looking sedans out there. Love the E350 engine, and she even has a great exhaust note after many hard accelorations ..

But.... here's my dilemma:

(just to get this out of the way- Yes, I want a 997, but they aren't coming down in price to the range I am comfortable with and I'm not about to lock into a $1200++ month lease - not on my humble income.- so that's out. For now; and NO, I don't get a 'demo'. -But I do get some reimbursement for my monthly payment to drive a Benz)

I'm planning on purposing to my GF- we're back on track and in full swing and on the same page. So I need to save up $$ for a ring. That's a priority.

2) Been saving up for a house too, but not that concerned with that - as of yet.

Her father owns a Nissan dealership; and I was toying with the idea of getting a 370Z for me, and a GLK350 for her. But not so sure of the practicality of the Z for me, especially since it's only a 2 seater.

So, with that I'm toying with certain ideas. And keep in mind I've been with MB since 2002. I Love their products. But sadly, I can't afford a C63, and they don't make a M/T in a fun car.

Options: 2006/07 BMW M5 with SMG. After spending time with this quirky system- I realized I like it. And it's a good in-between for the GF, and seat's 5 - if she wants to drive it.

downsides: Gas Guzzler. Off brand (I don't sell BMW, and would that - honestly - reflect badly to a potential client? I think if I explained my position that a potential client would be accepting of my logic?)

2007-08 BMW 335 Coupe 6 speed manual.

Again, downsides are it's off brand and manual for the GF (who cares lol). But it's a REALLLLLLLLY fun car and good looking.

Or.....

I stick with just a C300 4Matic sport for now, and have MB, while getting some of my monthly payment reimbursed.

I've even thought about getting into another E350 sport- i love the 09's. but it's more of the same- and actually- MB isn't offering Dealer Employee Pricing on these cars.

I dunno. I'm at a loss. I want a fun car............. but........

*sheesh I sound like one of you guys now!
Old 02-10-2009, 12:43 PM
Bob in NY
Drifting

Received 105 Likes on 47 Posts

I would think an SLK 350 would be pretty cool with a six speed and would assume you could get a good lease deal. I drove the C350 Sport when these cars were introduced and was very impressed with the performance. I considered this for my DD until I drove the E550...I think you're better of sticking with the brand you sell or get a Boxster/Cayman lease, I hear those are very reasonable now too but obviously you would know better than me.
Old 02-10-2009, 12:44 PM
rvklein
Racer

Buy yourself a Honda Civic Si (they are actually pretty fun cars) and save yourself lots of $$$$ so you can buy a 991 next time around.
Old 02-10-2009, 12:47 PM
am722
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd stick with a Merc if I were you. What about a 2005-07 E55/63? I'd have one of those in a second over a used M5. Or what about one of the new C63s?
Old 02-10-2009, 12:47 PM
Dave07997S
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Likemystoppie?
So here I am, about 3 months away from my MB lease coming up. For those of you who don't know, or remember -

I drive a 2007 E350 Sport- RWD. Had great luck with this car, and honestly it's one of the best looking sedans out there. Love the E350 engine, and she even has a great exhaust note after many hard accelorations ..

But.... here's my dilemma:

(just to get this out of the way- Yes, I want a 997, but they aren't coming down in price to the range I am comfortable with and I'm not about to lock into a $1200++ month lease - not on my humble income.- so that's out. For now; and NO, I don't get a 'demo'. -But I do get some reimbursement for my monthly payment to drive a Benz)

I'm planning on purposing to my GF- we're back on track and in full swing and on the same page. So I need to save up $$ for a ring. That's a priority.

2) Been saving up for a house too, but not that concerned with that - as of yet.

Her father owns a Nissan dealership; and I was toying with the idea of getting a 370Z for me, and a GLK350 for her. But not so sure of the practicality of the Z for me, especially since it's only a 2 seater.

So, with that I'm toying with certain ideas. And keep in mind I've been with MB since 2002. I Love their products. But sadly, I can't afford a C63, and they don't make a M/T in a fun car.

Options: 2006/07 BMW M5 with SMG. After spending time with this quirky system- I realized I like it. And it's a good in-between for the GF, and seat's 5 - if she wants to drive it.

downsides: Gas Guzzler. Off brand (I don't sell BMW, and would that - honestly - reflect badly to a potential client? I think if I explained my position that a potential client would be accepting of my logic?)

2007-08 BMW 335 Coupe 6 speed manual.

Again, downsides are it's off brand and manual for the GF (who cares lol). But it's a REALLLLLLLLY fun car and good looking.

Or.....

I stick with just a C300 4Matic sport for now, and have MB, while getting some of my monthly payment reimbursed.

I've even thought about getting into another E350 sport- i love the 09's. but it's more of the same- and actually- MB isn't offering Dealer Employee Pricing on these cars.

I dunno. I'm at a loss. I want a fun car............. but........

*sheesh I sound like one of you guys now!
Chris I say go with the 335i, much more fun and to be honest is one of the best bangs for the bucks when it comes to sport sedan's/coupes for the money. In all honesty how many of your clients actually see what you drive? You can get extremely good deals on left over 08 335i's.

Glad to see you and your girl are on the same page..me and my wife haven't been on the same page since I bought the 997. It's all your fault

Dave
Old 02-10-2009, 12:48 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Originally Posted by Bob in NY
I would think an SLK 350 would be pretty cool with a six speed and would assume you could get a good lease deal. I drove the C350 Sport when these cars were introduced and was very impressed with the performance. I considered this for my DD until I drove the E550...I think you're better of sticking with the brand you sell or get a Boxster/Cayman lease, I hear those are very reasonable now too but obviously you would know better than me.
No M/T in either the SLK350 (300HP btw) or the C350- And I have thought about the C350. That *might* be an option. But my line of thinking is, if I can't get what I want, or closer to what I want- why spend more money a month for the C Class? Why not just spend what I'm spending now on another E? Just get a C300w4.

Boxster / Cayman lease deals are over. And they don't offer any dealer employee purschase program with its salt on either of those cars. And - this is horrible- but I'm not a boxster / Cayman guy. lol
Old 02-10-2009, 01:05 PM
THPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

No M/T in either the SLK350 (300HP btw) or the C350- And I have thought about the C350. That *might* be an option. But my line of thinking is, if I can't get what I want, or closer to what I want- why spend more money a month for the C Class? Why not just spend what I'm spending now on another E? Just get a C300w4.

Boxster / Cayman lease deals are over. And they don't offer any dealer employee purschase program with its salt on either of those cars. And - this is horrible- but I'm not a boxster / Cayman guy. lol
Man, you should go work for Chrysler just kidding

Go get a BMW, I don't think your customer would see your car too often. I am not sure what your boss is going to say though.
Old 02-10-2009, 01:17 PM
Stephenkng
Racer

Chris, go for the 335i. I got a '08 for my son and it is a very nice car. I don't think you can get a better car of the bucks.
Old 02-10-2009, 01:23 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 401 Likes on 208 Posts

Hey Chris,
Why not consider a CPO'd 997? You must be in a good position to see some trade ins,...no?
Old 02-10-2009, 01:44 PM
Le Chef
Three Wheelin'

You could also consider a used C55 rather than a BMW as a fill-in until something you really want from MB shows up - like the next generation SLK.
Old 02-10-2009, 02:01 PM
Vancouver83LTD
Nordschleife Master

No M/T in either the SLK350 (300HP btw) or the C350
I can stroll down to my local dealer and get a 6 speed in an SLK350 or C350 any day of the week?
But I'm in Canada. Sucks to be you, I guess.
Old 02-10-2009, 02:25 PM
ds2k1
Racer

Sounds like you've got more important things to worry about than a kick-*** car right now (house, ring, baby(s)???). I'd first be thinking about having that down payment ready to buy a house in the next 12-18 months while house prices are really low and before things start picking up again. Then get the 997. Until then, get the cheapest car that somewhat floats your boat...lease deals on 335s are pretty sweet. And who cares what you drive? Clients coming to you for either a P-Car or a Merc aren't going to give a rat's *** that you drive a Bimmer or any other car...if they wanted a Bimmer, they'd be at the BMW dealer. Hell, they may still go there, but it won't be because YOU drive one.
Old 02-10-2009, 03:34 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Originally Posted by Dave07997S
Chris I say go with the 335i, much more fun and to be honest is one of the best bangs for the bucks when it comes to sport sedan's/coupes for the money. In all honesty how many of your clients actually see what you drive? You can get extremely good deals on left over 08 335i's.

Glad to see you and your girl are on the same page..me and my wife haven't been on the same page since I bought the 997. It's all your fault

Dave
It is ALL my fault!! - Yes I'm VERY happy about the girl situation. She's a rare find!

Originally Posted by Stephenkng
Chris, go for the 335i. I got a '08 for my son and it is a very nice car. I don't think you can get a better car of the bucks.
It is a great car!!

Originally Posted by Coochas
Hey Chris,
Why not consider a CPO'd 997? You must be in a good position to see some trade ins,...no?
Yes, but still I'd be over 50k easily for the car I'd want. Too much payment for me.

Originally Posted by Le Chef
You could also consider a used C55 rather than a BMW as a fill-in until something you really want from MB shows up - like the next generation SLK.
Honestly, the SLK is not my cup of tea. Much rather have a Boxster S. But at to that point; I'm more of a Coupe or Sedan guy.

Not a fan of the C55; and it's a slushbox.

Originally Posted by Vancouver83LTD
I can stroll down to my local dealer and get a 6 speed in an SLK350 or C350 any day of the week?
But I'm in Canada. Sucks to be you, I guess.
I would buy a C350 with a M/T in a heartbeat!

Originally Posted by ds2k1
Sounds like you've got more important things to worry about than a kick-*** car right now (house, ring, baby(s)???). I'd first be thinking about having that down payment ready to buy a house in the next 12-18 months while house prices are really low and before things start picking up again. Then get the 997. Until then, get the cheapest car that somewhat floats your boat...lease deals on 335s are pretty sweet. And who cares what you drive? Clients coming to you for either a P-Car or a Merc aren't going to give a rat's *** that you drive a Bimmer or any other car...if they wanted a Bimmer, they'd be at the BMW dealer. Hell, they may still go there, but it won't be because YOU drive one.
Good imput!
Old 02-10-2009, 04:03 PM
uzj100
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by ds2k1
+1 on this post. You're getting ready to make some of the most important decisions of your life. Now's the time to put yourself in the best possible financial situation possible. And keep in mind, money and financial issues are probably the #1 thing that cause friction between couples. There will always be another car that you'll like better--you know that
Old 02-10-2009, 04:17 PM
medtech
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

What about a Lexus IS F? I haven't driven one, but it seems like an M3 contender. Saw one at carmax for $46k.

Quick Reply: I'm losing my MIND! Need to turn to my RL peeps for advice! (Car advice :D)