Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone Regret Buying a PDK?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 03:35 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

I want to add one thing for those getting a PDK car....

order the Sport Chrono PLUS....that option will unlock the true performance of PDK.
Old 03-16-2009, 07:52 PM
jlinmd
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
I want to add one thing for those getting a PDK car....

order the Sport Chrono PLUS....that option will unlock the true performance of PDK.
Amen! It's a totally different beast!
Old 03-16-2009, 08:02 PM
DRJMK
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

PDK for me. I test drove a C2S and C4S with PDK, then the manual. I love it(PDK)! Now, can I determine whether or not to get the C2S or C4S? I am leaning towards the C4S. I don't live where there is alot of snow or bad weather, but the drive of the C4S was very 'planted'. Kinda like driving the Turbo...
Old 03-16-2009, 09:25 PM
jfr0317
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 63 Posts

I certainly have no regrets getting PDK on my 09 C2S. In fact, that's the primary reason I traded in my 07 C2S 6-speed manual. I have driven mostly manual transmission cars since I was 14 except for various SUV's and my current pick-up truck. The 09 is my fifth Porsche, and all 4 previous ones were manual transmission-equipped. While the manual is absolutely great in light to no traffic, especially on a winding road, I was hardly ever getting a chance to do that with my 07, and trust me, it is no fun driving a manual in Houston traffic.

With my new 09, the PDK not only takes away the tediousness of continually manually shifting in stop-and-go traffic, but it is fantastic for allowing me to quickly maneuver when an opening presents itself.

It would still be nice to have a manual transmission-equipped car to play with, but I am getting far more use from the 09 C2S PDK than I ever did with the 07 C2S and really now almost look forward to my daily 22 mile one-way commute.
Old 03-16-2009, 11:24 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,372 Likes on 794 Posts

I don't care how quickly it shifts or how perfectly it rev matches, there is nothing, and i mean nothing, more rewarding than banging two perfect heel/toe downshifts right before turn in with your own skill, and not some microprocessor.
Old 03-16-2009, 11:28 PM
jfr0317
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
I don't care how quickly it shifts or how perfectly it rev matches, there is nothing, and i mean nothing, more rewarding than banging two perfect heel/toe downshifts right before turn in with your own skill, and not some microprocessor.
I have no doubt that is indeed great, but I can think of several things more rewarding than "banging two perfect heel/toe downshifts." Of course, they aren't automotive related.
Old 03-16-2009, 11:43 PM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
I miss the logic. You have doubts about a 2-pedal solution... and if ordering a GT3 (of all 911 models) you would order it w/ PDK?

The choice here is a 2-pedal solution vs a 3-pedal solution. Do you want to use a clutch and rev match or not? Other than that the PDK wins, because it will shift better than any human can manually.
Hi ADias,

I plan to keep the 6 speed club coupe for fun/trip driving, and add a PDK GT3 for fast track driving. No logic issue, only financial issue...
Old 03-17-2009, 12:14 AM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
Sure there is.

How about a Porsche (PDK) that the "wife' feels comfortable in, so you can work your way up to a separate RSR and .. sequential shifting?. That way she gets to share the (and your) enthusiasm along the way.
Old 03-17-2009, 02:20 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by PogueMoHone
Sure there is.

How about a Porsche (PDK) that the "wife' feels comfortable in, so you can work your way up to a separate RSR and .. sequential shifting?. That way she gets to share the (and your) enthusiasm along the way.
Perfectly said!
Old 03-17-2009, 10:06 AM
jk335
Instructor

I've driven the cars with the dual automoatic clutch, and really wanted to adopt the new way of driving. It takes time to reteach yourself how to use the new gear box. If you are used to the 6 speed, it will be a learning curve.

That said, I am goign for a 6 speed manual. There's something sweet about engaging the car into first gear and lifting the clutch off the pedal. It's a facination I have had for many years. I can afford the config of PDK. But on a toy of this caliper, it's a coin toss.

Pick the transmission you feel can change your world. If PDK excites you which you say it does, go for it.

Porsche will never discontinue the 6 speed manual. Too much tradition, and 6 speed lets you shift into stupid situations the PDK does not allow. like 6th to 2nd. I tried doign it, and the system beeped To tell me it could not

Last time i checked, i was the driver and hate being corrected.

Go with your heart man. PDK is wonderful and a 1000 percent upgrade from TIP.
Old 03-17-2009, 10:54 AM
lgascoig
Racer

I have PDK and sport chrono +, now 1100 miles. I'm gradually getting used to PDK. Driving the car in manual mode in sport or sport+ is engaging and definitely very fast, faster that I could drive stick. I still think I'd get a manual next time but it's hard to say.

Next car I get will most likely be a Cayman S for the wife and she wants manual.

After that, probably a Corvette.
Old 03-17-2009, 02:42 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 393 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by jk335
...Porsche will never discontinue the 6 speed manual. Too much tradition, and 6 speed lets you shift into stupid situations the PDK does not allow. like 6th to 2nd. I tried doign it, and the system beeped To tell me it could not...
Could it be that should you had done that 6-2 shift under the same conditions in a manual tranny you had caused a type 2 over-rev?
Old 03-17-2009, 03:23 PM
Marco8
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As we know PDK can be run in either auto or manual. But in manual the computer is there to save you from yourself (auto upshift at red line, and auto downshift not to lug the motor). This safety net manual never gets you to the true spirit of a 6 spd manual (right or wrong, its my decision) and there lies the rub. Do I need training wheels, well you got them regardless...

That being said the PDK from any performance perspective will give you an edge over a 6 spd manual. The 6 spd manual allows for a more personal connection to your car. Which is most important to you?
Old 03-18-2009, 01:45 AM
ettsn
Pro

Originally Posted by ADias
Could it be that should you had done that 6-2 shift under the same conditions in a manual tranny you had caused a type 2 over-rev?
...or scattered transmission and engine bits in a breadcrumb trail behind your 911?
Old 03-18-2009, 02:24 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 126 Posts

This is starting to look a little like the Boeing versus Airbus cockpit configuration discussion. Airbus, being wholly computer controlled, tells you what you are allowed to do. Boeing lets you do anything--even if at first it seems absolutely insane. (How they got to land Flight 1549 in the Hudson with an Airbus 320 is beyond me,--they must be writing better code!)

Quick Reply: Anyone Regret Buying a PDK?