Sponsored by:

Anyone Regret Buying a PDK?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 02:27 PM
civerson4
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Anyone Regret Buying a PDK?

I am a 993 cab (weekend car) and Cayenne (daily driver) owner, looking to join the 997 club. The 997 will be my wife's daily driver. She is an MD with a 20-40 minute commute, mostly on freeways. Her previous car was a 6 speed.

We are both dedicated "6 Speed" drivers (with the exception of the Cayenne), and had focused solely on driving and looking at 6 speed 997's....then we drove a PDK and were impressed. Really impresed. It certainly is light years beyond the tiptronic tranny.

As we analyze what is the best way to go with the 997, I'm looking for opinions/advice from former 6 speed owners that made the switch to a PDK. Do you feel less "involved" driving the PDK? Do you miss the interaction with the clutch/transmission? I realize this really is a personal dilemma, but am looking for any thoughts anyone wants to share.
Old 03-15-2009, 02:36 PM
westlaker
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is her commute stop/start in traffic?
Old 03-15-2009, 02:37 PM
westlaker
Instructor

Sorry. Just re read. Go with the stick.
Old 03-15-2009, 02:56 PM
civerson4
Rennlist Member

Commute is freeway--but So Cal (Orange County) traffic. Certainly not a 65 MPH commute.
Old 03-15-2009, 03:10 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

From everything I have read in the magazines and here on Rennlist, the PDK sounds like a great tranny. However, if your wife is used to the 6 speed in her current car and has no issues with using a 6 speed in "slow down" traffic, then I would say get another 6 speed.
Old 03-15-2009, 03:16 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 393 Likes on 269 Posts

The OP is asking opinions from previous 6-speed manual drivers who switched to PDK, NOT opinions from drivers who do not have PDK.

I'm also interested in replies matching the OP question.
Old 03-15-2009, 04:10 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

I am a "hardcore" 6 speed owner (and advocate). I have driven the PDK on the track (PSDS); and my next car will be PDK, I was very impressed and came to it with a negative bias.

Not quite the experience you were looking for, but trust your judgement. It is that good.
Old 03-15-2009, 04:40 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

PDK is an awesome transmission and will allow you to drive in auto mode or manual mode. Either in auto or manual you or PDK will be able to up and down shift (rev matching) faster than you or anyone can with a 6 speed.

I owned 6 speed Vettes and Boxster S before. The only reason I could see someone buying a 6 speed over the PDK is:
* you still want to work on heel and toe technique
* you are into the nostalgia of a manual tranny
* you can not afford the $4000 PDK option

If you do get the PDK be sure to order the Sport Chrono PLUS option. This option unlocks the true potential of PDK.
Old 03-15-2009, 05:14 PM
jlinmd
Racer

Originally Posted by mdrums
PDK is an awesome transmission and will allow you to drive in auto mode or manual mode. Either in auto or manual you or PDK will be able to up and down shift (rev matching) faster than you or anyone can with a 6 speed.

I owned 6 speed Vettes and Boxster S before. The only reason I could see someone buying a 6 speed over the PDK is:
* you still want to work on heel and toe technique
* you are into the nostalgia of a manual tranny
* you can not afford the $4000 PDK option

If you do get the PDK be sure to order the Sport Chrono PLUS option. This option unlocks the true potential of PDK.
+1

I initially wanted to order a 997 with 6 spd for June delivery. I test drove both 6 spd and PDK +/- Sport Chorno Plus back to back, and still wanted a 6 spd, even though I was extremely impressed with PDK with SCP.

Well...end of February came and PCNA lowered the money factor and incentivized their launch cars, which all had PDKs. I pulled the trigger and got the Porsche Racing Green C2S with PDK/SCP. I'm now into my first week of ownership with over 800 mi, and I have absolutely no regrets.

The PDK tranny is sooooo telepathic, it knows exactly what to do. It anticipates your every move and it does them very well and very quick. I went to grab some coffee this morning on the way to work, and I put the tranny in D and Sport and let it do its thing. When I'm on the highway or want to do some spirited driving, I put it in M and go through the gears myself. And I am not ashamed to say that I've tried Launch Control twice now, but only half-assed, yes I know at only 800 mi, because I couldn't handle how FAST the car was and the extreme G's it was pulling. I had to release the throttle at 50.

Anyway, I'm in love with the PDK and I'm glad that it came with the car that I initially didn't intend to buy. You, I mean, your wife will not regret having the PDK in the daily driver. Trust me, I don't wish to have a manual in DC traffic and I'm a pretty hard-core manual tranny guy.
Old 03-15-2009, 06:12 PM
RED HORSE
Race Car

Received 128 Likes on 70 Posts

My previous two 911s were both 6 speed and my current is a PDK. I have always been biased towards manual transmission cars, but am pleased with the PDK and would repeat the decision without hesitation. Currently have 4,600 miles on mine and like/enjoy it more every day. No track time for me, but a combination of highway and city driving.
Old 03-15-2009, 07:15 PM
Bill_C4S
Burning Brakes

From 6spd GT3 to C2S PDK SCP...and what do I think?

The versatility is impressive, trundle to going ***** out....this is a gearbox that will match your mood. Assuming you've checked to see which mood you are in...

And there in lies the rub or learning curve. For example, favourite on ramp, nail throttle (brain in auto SCP mode - car in manual) thinking I am about to rocket through the gears on my way to an impressive (zero skill, max computer) acceleration run.....only to discover that I am testing the rev limiter.

So the diversity of options has its drawbacks...but assuming your brain is engaged and you know what you have (and want) it is a remarkably adept gearbox. An impressive piece of engineering. Frankly Porsche got it right first time - and yes dorothy, if you can learn then even the steering wheel mounted triggers have their charms.

Still would I get a track dedicated 991 GT3 with PDK or manual?.....now that's a tough question. Not sure yet....but I suspect so.
Old 03-15-2009, 07:25 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 401 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by PogueMoHone
I am a "hardcore" 6 speed owner (and advocate). I have driven the PDK on the track (PSDS); and my next car will be PDK, I was very impressed and came to it with a negative bias.

Not quite the experience you were looking for, but trust your judgement. It is that good.
Wow that's a tall statement coming from you Colm. Interesting.

I'd like to do at least one session with a PDK car in April at Barber just to see what it's like. Then again, I love manual trannies and the only time I was without one I was miserable. To each his own.
Old 03-15-2009, 07:39 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 255 Likes on 119 Posts

FWIW, I am with Colm and waiting for my 997 C4S (my daily driver) with PDK. I drove PDK on the street and on the track and I loved in in both environments. I'm keeping my GT3 mind you ....but I suspect manual trannys are on their way out.

Best,
Old 03-15-2009, 08:25 PM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I love my C4S with PDK, but I am ALWAYS going to be a manual transmission guy at heart. My next Porsche (whether I keep the C4S or not) will be a manual.
Old 03-15-2009, 08:29 PM
boolala
Race Car

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
....but I suspect manual trannys are on their way out.

But their adherents, regretably, are not.

Quick Reply: Anyone Regret Buying a PDK?