Sponsored by:

Interior Cleaning and Conditioning - Full Leather

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2009, 04:24 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 291 Likes on 146 Posts
Wink Interior Cleaning and Conditioning - Full Leather

I am looking for some recomendations for cleaning and conditioning products for the seats, dash and door panels on my car. I have a full leather interior.

I tried search but did not come up with a great answer
Old 04-18-2009, 05:01 PM
MLindgren
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sonus
Old 04-18-2009, 05:38 PM
helispud
Pro

Received 50 Likes on 21 Posts

I was trying the same search yesterday (but the search funtion was not working) as I remembered Deanski recommending Woolite for leather cleaning.

Today I typed in WOOLITE in the search box and found what I was looking for.
Old 04-18-2009, 05:57 PM
Phil G.
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I use Lexol cleaner and Zaino Leather in a Bottle for conditioning. For other non-leather interior parts, Einszett Cockpit Premium is wonderful stuff - zero gloss and great matte finish.
Old 04-18-2009, 06:23 PM
mal28
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Zaino easy to use, non greasy, great smell
Old 04-18-2009, 06:27 PM
Jerry Fisher
Instructor

sonus as suggested above. Great stuff.
Old 04-18-2009, 06:33 PM
hikejohn
Advanced

in my opinion Leatherique is the absolute best...Lexon etc pale in comparison...its water based...used right just pushes out dirt and contaminents
Old 04-18-2009, 07:22 PM
iron e
3rd Gear

Another vote for Sonus. Easy to apply and the matte finish is exactly what you want.
Old 04-18-2009, 08:01 PM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 190 Likes on 107 Posts

Do NOT condition your dash. The leather is specially made for the dash, tight and dry as it needs to be. Conditioner can easily cause problems there.

In fact, minimal conditioning is needed on most Porsche leathers. Cleaning - easy. Go with a small bit of gentle suds with warm water FIRST, then wipe down clean and buff dry. See how it looks first. If it needs more, use gentle formulas and test for color fastness. I've used 'em all. Lexol works fine, as do most of the others mentioned. Just don't go overboard with the chemicals.

Then consider Lexol conditioner applied lightly BY HAND. Let sit 5 minutes, then buff. I've done this for years on Porsche vehicles, and the leather is good as new, clean and perfect.

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Old 04-18-2009, 08:54 PM
Jlangmd
Racer

1+ for Zaino.
Old 04-18-2009, 09:42 PM
_Nathan
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Leather cleaning = essential
Leather conditioning = unnecessary and potentially harmful

What actually does the damage to leather is the build up of dirt and oils which together with friction will break down the finish on the leather. The key to keeping the leather in good condition is keeping it clean. Leather "conditioners", which contain oils and waxes, cannot penetrate the finish on the leather. They remain on the surface and attract more dirt and oils thus in the long term doing more damage than good.
Old 04-18-2009, 11:33 PM
JW911
Three Wheelin'

Received 352 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by _Nathan
Leather cleaning = essential
Leather conditioning = unnecessary and potentially harmful

What actually does the damage to leather is the build up of dirt and oils which together with friction will break down the finish on the leather. The key to keeping the leather in good condition is keeping it clean. Leather "conditioners", which contain oils and waxes, cannot penetrate the finish on the leather. They remain on the surface and attract more dirt and oils thus in the long term doing more damage than good.
Completely disagree. Leather being a natural animal based material will dry over time from dry air, heat, and sunlight. I have kept several cars' leather looking and feeling new by regular conditioning. Leather dries out and loses moisture and then then it will begin to crack and the surface finish will deteriorate. And the leather treatment definitely penetrates the leather. It is quite obvious that it is being absorbed.

I used to use Lexol with much success but have started using Zaino due to feedback from this forum. It works great and has the distinctive Porsche factory leather smell.
Old 04-19-2009, 01:01 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 126 Posts

Probably not popular today, but I still use Hide Food on my full leather interior (natural brown, aniline vat dyed). I use it at least twice a year in my climate. Some areas may need it substantially more, or less. I treat my dash, too. I have a heck of a lot of cattle in my interior.
Old 04-19-2009, 01:37 AM
mossjn
Advanced

My cab is only a one year old so I don't know the long term implications of these products. However, I use Zaino with UV protectant. With my top almost always down here in CA, I cannot believe that the leather (I have full leather) would not get damaged in a significant way if it didn't have UV protectant on it.

Is this not the case Eric, the plug guy?
Old 04-19-2009, 03:36 PM
Da Hapa
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Izzone
I am looking for some recomendations for cleaning and conditioning products for the seats, dash and door panels on my car. I have a full leather interior.

I tried search but did not come up with a great answer
You have full leather but you haven't specified if you have the natural leather or not....

From the research that I did here and on several other boards, Sonus is an excellent product for cleaning and conditioning the leather in your Porsche. However Sonus was formulated for "coated" leather and isn't necessarily the best choice if you have natural leather. My research led me to Leatherique for my natural leather and the results so far have been excellent.

Good luck.

Quick Reply: Interior Cleaning and Conditioning - Full Leather