Sponsored by:

Thinking of getting a C2 non S

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2009, 02:14 PM
afridi
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Thinking of getting a C2 non S

Came from an E46 M3 (owned for 4 years and tracked)
E36 M3 (tracked and moderately modded)
Now in a Cayman S. 2007 with upgraded plenum/exhaust and softronics software.

Can get into a 997.2 non S non-PDK.

For anyone who has driven both the Cayman and the 911....is it worth the jump. Will I really miss having a C2S on the track?
Old 04-25-2009, 03:55 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by afridi
Came from an E46 M3 (owned for 4 years and tracked)
E36 M3 (tracked and moderately modded)
Now in a Cayman S. 2007 with upgraded plenum/exhaust and softronics software.

Can get into a 997.2 non S non-PDK.

For anyone who has driven both the Cayman and the 911....is it worth the jump. Will I really miss having a C2S on the track?
Go for it. It's certainly more powerful than any of your previous vehicles (if they were stock).

Why do you want to sell the Cayman?
Old 04-25-2009, 08:05 PM
afridi
Racer

Hear too much regarding blown engines, spun bearings etc. Most with track use and a few without.

Just don't have any trust in the car.

Also the knowledge that the Cayman was probably crippled by the bean counters to fit it in a particular slot kind of puts me off a bit.

If there was a Cayman race series, I would have stuck with it.

But I'm too nervous whenever I take it out to the track.

Last edited by afridi; 04-26-2009 at 06:51 PM.
Old 04-26-2009, 11:30 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I think your concerns are totally unfounded. I run with many Cayman S on the track and haven't heard one owner complaining about issues. My guess is a Cayman S and C2 are going to be basically equal on the track, with the C2S ahead due to engine and brakes. As to the Cayman being crippled by bean counters, in what way? It's as much a Porsche as any other and to most realistic enthusiasts represents a far superior design than the 911 due to the mid engine layout. If you are nervous taking the Cayman out on the track, then you will be nervous taking a C2, C2S, or any other Porsche.
Old 04-26-2009, 12:12 PM
zizu
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by afridi
Also the knowledge that the Cayman was probably crippled by the bean counters to fit it in a particular slot kind of puts me off a bit.
Don't listen to Jeremy Clarkson too much. He doesn't like Porsche...

Is the Cayman capable of more performance? Sure, but it would be more expensive.
Old 04-26-2009, 04:25 PM
tejoe
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My latest P-car is an 06 911S moded to about 400HP. I was dying for the 997.2S PDK, test drove several, and I think it's great, but my interest has waned. All that said, you have a great track and autoX car and I'd never consider getting rid of it for a nonS 09.
Old 04-26-2009, 06:15 PM
afridi
Racer

I have taken the Cayman out a number of times on track and it is fairly quick, no doubt. On the Caymanclub site there are a number of owners who have had major problems tracking their car. Power steering over heating, spun bearings, brake failure. These are also not people who dont know what they are doing and I don't think its driver error. Locally in town, people I know, Porsche fans usually tell me the M97 engine is weak and prone to failure. It seems the new direct injection engines have addressed the major weaknesses of the previous gen engines.

http://www.planetporsche.net/cayman-...e-failure.html

Cayman S (1st Gen) hp/displacement = 86.7
Cayman = 90.7
997S = 93.4
997 = 90.2
GT3 =115

Anyway, I probably would prefer a GT type car anyway. The Cayman rattles and feels cheaply put together. My dealership hasn't been able to remove the noises. I really have got tired of the car pretty quickly.

While the 997 S would be my car of choice, I cant afford that right now. I can afford a non-S and was wondering how people who have tracked it feel about it. Regrets they didn't buy the S or whether they have a ton of Caymans they have to pull over to give point by's to.

I really don't have confidence in the Cayman. However it is hard to go back to the BMWs as they are pretty heavy and rather ugly looking cars nowadays.

Last edited by afridi; 04-26-2009 at 06:53 PM.
Old 04-26-2009, 08:21 PM
equ
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My guess is that save for the GT's, the cayman would make a better track toy than a 997. The 997 is a bigger, faster and more everyday friendly car. The cayman is not very fast, but it feels like it's halfway to a motorcycle (only lotus and a few cars feel like that). The 997 feels great, but does not give that toy feeling.

Quick Reply: Thinking of getting a C2 non S