Sponsored by:

what happens after june 1st...

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 10:39 AM
Trader220
Rennlist Member

Received 91 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by ds2k1
Difference is that airline tickets are purchased in an antiseptic, take-it-or-leave-it kind of environment...you either buy them online or on the phone, typically, and there's no haggling, no relationship, no value-add from the sales person. As a result, the airline doesn't try to play you...they just tell you the price at any given time of day and you can pay it or not. What pisses people off about car salesmen is that they have a tendency to try to play to each person's weakness and lack of information...they're manipulative. The less informed you are, the more they try to squeeze out of you using practices (tricks) you don't understand. They've got a million different ways to screw you that aren't transparent...the airline doesn't. Thus, there's inherent manipulation built into the system...caveat emptor. Well, it tends to **** people off when someone cozy's up the them, pretends to be their friend, says they're working their hardest to get you the best deal, etc., only to find out later that that very same "friend" was really a wolf in sheep's clothing and that the person that came in right before or after you got a better deal simply because they couldn't squeeze them in as many ways. Any relationship like that breeds distrust. Airlines don't have that same dynamic.

If sales people could simply say, "today the price of a Porsche is $___...would you like one?", then there would be less distrust and loathing. But they won't do that because they know that they don't have to. Some customers will be savvy and informed enough to get a better price, but there's also a sucker born every minute that will come along and pay a lot more. So you don't show your cards. Who really wants to play poker when buying a car?
Everyone in the world is out to get you and screw you and steal your money, there are ZERO honest sales people in the car business.
Old 06-05-2009, 02:06 PM
ds2k1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Trader220
Everyone in the world is out to get you and screw you and steal your money, there are ZERO honest sales people in the car business.
No, no...not what I meant at all. Don't protest so much, man, I'm not making any personal comments here. I'm simply pointing out why I think people don't really trust car salesmen and why it's a different dynamic than purchasing an airline ticket. Like any profession, there are good salesmen and bad ones. I have no opinion as to which side of that equation you fall. Merely pointing out a dynamic in the purchase and sale of cars that tends to breed distrust and hard feelings. You can play it that way or not, but it doesn't change the fact that it's a very common dynamic in your business. If you're the good kind, good on ya.
Old 06-05-2009, 02:38 PM
Trader220
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ds2k1
No, no...not what I meant at all. Don't protest so much, man, I'm not making any personal comments here. I'm simply pointing out why I think people don't really trust car salesmen and why it's a different dynamic than purchasing an airline ticket. Like any profession, there are good salesmen and bad ones. I have no opinion as to which side of that equation you fall. Merely pointing out a dynamic in the purchase and sale of cars that tends to breed distrust and hard feelings. You can play it that way or not, but it doesn't change the fact that it's a very common dynamic in your business. If you're the good kind, good on ya.
I guess not everyone sees it that way, you're basically saying guilty until proven innocent. IMO thats a crappy way to go through life.
Old 06-05-2009, 02:52 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Howard-I don't think he's saying that at all mang.

We sell cars. Lot's of people think they're A) better B) Smarter C) make more money then we do) and overall are just D) a Higher Life Form.

This place has gotten really hostile as of late. I'm not making excuses for myself as I've 'pitched in' my own fuel on this fire. But apparently it's open season on car salesman/sales people ect.

But ds2k1 means no harm.
Old 06-05-2009, 02:53 PM
ds2k1
Racer

Originally Posted by Trader220
I guess not everyone sees it that way, you're basically saying guilty until proven innocent. IMO thats a crappy way to go through life.
Hey, I'm a lawyer...I know a little bit about the topic. How many people start off trusting lawyers? Is it my fault that a lot of bad lawyers created a dynamic that causes people to distrust or even hate lawyers and the legal process? Certainly not. But that dynamic exists, nonetheless. Your profession has that same stigma, my friend. Many bad lawyers created this reality, just like many bad car salesmen created your reality. All we can both do is our best to try to change things in our own spheres of influence. Like I said, if you're one of the good ones that believes in transparency, not playing games, and really working [I]on behalf[I] of your clients, and not looking at them as ignorant dollar signs to be squeezed, then you're helping to change the dynamic of your profession. And if that's you, then, like I said, good on ya. But I can safely say that a good 75% of the car salesmen I've personally suffered through are helping perpetuate the very ****ty dynamic you're working hard to change. And with that said, I've also worked with a lot of really ****ty lawyers that continue to make us all look bad. C'est la vie.
Old 06-05-2009, 02:57 PM
ds2k1
Racer

Originally Posted by Likemystoppie?
Howard-I don't think he's saying that at all mang.

We sell cars. Lot's of people think they're A) better B) Smarter C) make more money then we do) and overall are just D) a Higher Life Form.

This place has gotten really hostile as of late. I'm not making excuses for myself as I've 'pitched in' my own fuel on this fire. But apparently it's open season on car salesman/sales people ect.

But ds2k1 means no harm.
Thanks. I absolutely mean nothing personal. I don't have any reason to think any of the fine sales professionals here in Rennlist are anything other than top notch and credits to their profession. And I think I'd be laughed right out of here if I, as an attorney, was ever claiming to be a "Higher Life Form" than anyone else, except for perhaps the terrorists...even then I'm sure I'd get a few arguments...
Old 06-05-2009, 03:25 PM
Trader220
Rennlist Member

Fair enough, my apologies then. In my case it gets worse! For 16 of my 20 years on Wall Street I was in a profession more mistrusted and hated then Lawyers and car sales people, I was a market maker on the floor!!! Walk into a crowded room of "investors" and scream market maker and see what happens.
Old 06-05-2009, 03:56 PM
stevebmd
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i have to plead ignorance...what is a market maker? I am just a dumb doc...
Old 06-05-2009, 04:09 PM
Trader220
Rennlist Member

Market makers are the guys you see on TV when they show futures and options pits. They're the guys who set the bid/ask for those products and they're the people that all the retail investors and wannabe traders scream are ripping the public off. I spent 16 years on 3 different exchanges, great convo piece... "yea I used to be a MM and a hedge fund manager, since I sold that business I have been trying my hand at cars sales" People run for the exits
Old 06-05-2009, 04:11 PM
brendo
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i spoke to 5 dealers when i bought my car. i talked about pricing, and product. they were fair and reasonable wrt exposing their costs. Three of them seemed like organiziations with whom i'd like to do business. in the end, i bought off the lot, added a few options (PSE, center painted console). my salesman wishes i'd paid more, i wish i'd paid less. in the end, i got a great product at a great price.

at no point, did anybody accuse me of being superior to them, call me a douchebag, or use any of this bull**** vitriol.

in my business, there are probaby 100x more forums where people discuss our products than porsche. if my empolyees responded in the manner that some of the sales reps respond here, we'd terminate them at the end of the day. period. if my customers came in with the attacks we the porsche reps see here, we'd be pissed, but certainly respond differently.

i just left a customer call where the customer wants to pay $18k for a $132 solution. that's not going to work. i didn't insult the guy though. hey, i'm sorry we won't be selling to him. i don't blame him for trying.

this forum is made up of the most educated, enlightened enthusists in the porsche ecosystem. get used to it. getting asked hard questions and responding professionally isn't for everybody apparently.
Old 06-05-2009, 05:28 PM
DanJK
Racer

Originally Posted by brendorenn
i spoke to 5 dealers when i bought my car. i talked about pricing, and product. they were fair and reasonable wrt exposing their costs. Three of them seemed like organiziations with whom i'd like to do business. in the end, i bought off the lot, added a few options (PSE, center painted console). my salesman wishes i'd paid more, i wish i'd paid less. in the end, i got a great product at a great price.

at no point, did anybody accuse me of being superior to them, call me a douchebag, or use any of this bull**** vitriol.

in my business, there are probaby 100x more forums where people discuss our products than porsche. if my empolyees responded in the manner that some of the sales reps respond here, we'd terminate them at the end of the day. period. if my customers came in with the attacks we the porsche reps see here, we'd be pissed, but certainly respond differently.

i just left a customer call where the customer wants to pay $18k for a $132 solution. that's not going to work. i didn't insult the guy though. hey, i'm sorry we won't be selling to him. i don't blame him for trying.

this forum is made up of the most educated, enlightened enthusists in the porsche ecosystem. get used to it. getting asked hard questions and responding professionally isn't for everybody apparently.
Fair enough. I don't disagree with you. But I will say this forum is not your place of business and its not Chris's. It's a goofy car forum. I think the bar is set a little lower than it is at each of our respective "show rooms". A fair amount of mixing it up only makes it a little more interesting. Just one guy's opinion - YMMV.
Old 06-05-2009, 05:34 PM
brendo
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^ agree. we may have differences in our defintions of "mixing it up" though :-)

personally i love the humor, smart *** remarks, etc.
Old 06-06-2009, 12:18 AM
djcxxx
Three Wheelin'

Received 348 Likes on 176 Posts

I've bought four Porsches in the last 10 years. I generally sell myself so I'm not in the dealership to be persuaded. People have to make a living just like I do. I don't like being taken to the cleaners on price, but I will pay extra for good service as it is a commodity that has value. I typically paid close to MSRP because I order the car instead of taking what's on the lot and I'm prepared to pay for having it my way. I'm up front and tell the salesman that I won't pay for "add ons" or "market adjustments" and a reasonable trade or a couple of grand off the top is satisfactory. I'm not in the car business and I don't care to squeeze the last drop of blood out of deal, because that's a sure sign I can't really afford the car in the first place. On a $120K car that will be worth half in a few years anyway (I go in knowing this, doesn't everybody?) it's not worth taking $3-5K away from the guy lowest on the totem pole. Who do you think gets paid last and least? Commerce that is predatory, on either side of the transaction, does not result in sustainable business. We are living through that fact right now.
Old 06-09-2009, 11:36 AM
apmarks
Cruisin'

I made my deal under the wire. All the dealers (3) told me once the deal was gone, they were back to the old interest rates on leases anyway. I bought a CPO two years ago, then traded it in ( that market is also soft), but the lease deal was good- 2009 Targa 4 with PDK.
Old 06-09-2009, 11:43 AM
Trader220
Rennlist Member

New rates and residuals were released for today, the deals for now are gone big time

Quick Reply: what happens after june 1st...