Porsche Drive-Off Assistant

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 09:52 PM
aigle836
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Porsche Drive-Off Assistant

Hello,

Just got my new 997.2 Targa 4S Aquablue, Full interior natural leather with sport seat, manual 6 speeds. Really, Really like it. Just got one issue: Porsche Drive-Off Assistant. I have been driving manual all my life, and my area is quite hilly. I just keep fighting the brakes from the Drive-Off Assistant !! The brakes are taking a tad more than a second to come off when starting on a hill. Is there a way to turn this Assistance off ? It is such a nuisance !
Thanks.
Old 05-27-2009, 10:15 PM
Hockeyman11385
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

While I can't help you with your problem, someone will eventually say "Post Pics" of your car so I will do it.

POST PICS!!!

I love Aqua Blue.
Old 05-27-2009, 10:38 PM
az911s
Intermediate

The delay in release initially seems quite long when you first get the car - but you will get used to it after a while. Just view it as a brief opportunity to get ready to hit the gas - "poor man's launch control". I have no idea if it can be disengaged though - sorry.
Old 05-27-2009, 11:40 PM
jyslou
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by aigle836
Hello,

Just got my new 997.2 Targa 4S Aquablue.
Hi Aigle, good to know another new Targa 4S owner. I got mine last month. Congratulations on your acquisition, welcome ... and PLEASE POST PIX! I would love to see the Targa 4S in Aquablue.

BTW, I totally hear you on the hill assist delay. I too have a 6MT but live in Chicago so lucky for me hill assist never EVER comes on in everyday conditions...

(unless I'm deliberately stopping on a garage ramp to test it, which I have done on a few occasions just to see what it's like)

Based on my limited experience with it in my garage ramp tests, I hate the thing! It is slow in the release. And I couldnt find anything in the manual about turning it off or modifying it. IMHO, there's just too much tech assistance in these new cars. If I wanted tech wizardry, I'd a gotten a PDK

I used to live in San Fran for many years where that hill assist in everyday traffic would have annoyed me to no end. Isn't that what the hand break is for?? IMHO, if a car rolls back on an incline that means the driver needs to pay more attention or to practice more, period.

(sorry for the rant... I never thought I'd become the old fogey complaining about "progress"... please post some pix of your new targa for an old fogey)
Old 05-28-2009, 02:07 AM
ds2k1
Racer

Hello,

Just got my new 997.2 Targa 4S Aquablue, Full interior natural leather with sport seat, manual 6 speeds. Really, Really like it. Just got one issue: Porsche Drive-Off Assistant. I have been driving manual all my life, and my area is quite hilly. I just keep fighting the brakes from the Drive-Off Assistant !! The brakes are taking a tad more than a second to come off when starting on a hill. Is there a way to turn this Assistance off ? It is such a nuisance !
Thanks.
I live in SF and I love it. At first, it took a little getting used to. Now that I'm used to it, I appreciate it. Give it a chance. Quit fearing and resisting change, people!
Old 05-28-2009, 02:30 AM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

guessing this is new for .2? never even heard of it.. besides those VW commercials
Old 05-28-2009, 03:33 AM
vexed
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Our driveway slopes down and we back into the garage, when I took a 997.2 home it was fighting me trying to back down, only later did I realize why.

I wonder if you put the car in neutral and foot off the clutch will the car roll? Otherwise I will have to gas it in reverse to back in, not a good thing since there is a rock wall on one side.
Old 05-28-2009, 04:21 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm not sure of how its implemented, but I'd think if you select reverse gear (no need to drop the clutch in reverse), its not going to engage (at least that is how I'd design it).

On going forward, I would think you can drive out of it.. that is, apply gas and 1st gear clutch to push the car forward and it will release. Or does it really hold the entire time interval? I would swear you can drive out of it, but it took some time getting used to the fact that there is that break resistance I need to push against with the clutch/gas to get it to disengage before I start moving forward.
Old 05-28-2009, 05:08 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 393 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by Minok
I'm not sure of how its implemented, but I'd think if you select reverse gear (no need to drop the clutch in reverse), its not going to engage (at least that is how I'd design it).

On going forward, I would think you can drive out of it.. that is, apply gas and 1st gear clutch to push the car forward and it will release. Or does it really hold the entire time interval? I would swear you can drive out of it, but it took some time getting used to the fact that there is that break resistance I need to push against with the clutch/gas to get it to disengage before I start moving forward.
You mean... if you select reverse there's no need to set the auto-brake... but that's only true if you reverse down slope. If you reverse up slope...
Old 05-28-2009, 06:36 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Ah the technology.....
Tried it at a PSDS drill on the T4 hill..it worked.

Essentially, the entire Drive-Off Assistant
function depends on the position of the
vehicle on the hill and the desired direc-
tion of travel as well as the selected gear.
If the vehicle is stationary facing uphill
with a forward gear engaged, the Drive-
Off Assistant can be activated by press-
ing the operating brake sufficiently. The
function is deactivated when the vehicle
is put into reverse gear in order to park
the vehicle for example. The Drive-Off
Assistant can only be activated in reverse
gear if the vehicle is facing downhill.
As soon as the vehicle comes to a stop
on a hill by specifically using the brakes,
the hydraulic brake pressure selected by
the driver prevents it from rolling forward
or back for as long as the driver presses
the brake pedal. When the driver releas-
es the brake pedal, the Drive-Off Assis-
tant maintains the selected brake pres-
sure on all four wheels for about 2 sec-
onds. The brake pressure is then
reduced slowly.
The brake pressure is also reduced when
taking off directly on a hill if the driver
accelerates (on vehicles with Porsche
Double-clutch (PDK)) or accelerates and
releases the clutch (on vehicles with
manual transmission) immediately after
releasing the brake pedal, thereby build-
ing up sufficient drive torque.
The Drive-Off Assistant is not needed in
areas with very slight inclines (up to
approx. 4 - 5%). Since the vehicle only
starts moving slowly in such areas when
the brakes are released, the driver can
easily move off in a controlled manner
without the Drive-Off Assistant.
Old 05-28-2009, 06:42 PM
vexed
Racer

Now I am a bit confused. I emailed my Sales Consultant and he said:

The drive-off assist detects if the vehicle is braked to a halt on an incline doesn't matter which way the car is oriented. If a gear is engaged (any gear) brake pressure is maintained for 2 seconds from the time the foot brake is released. The pressure is reduced earlier once sufficient revs have been generated (PDK). On a manual car the pressure is reduced if the accelerator is depressed and the clutch is released. I have not had any customers express issue with the system but maybe if you have a steep driveway it may take some getting used to the system.

Sounds like my plan of putting the car in neutral and rolling back into my garage should work since the system is triggered by having the car in gear.
Old 05-28-2009, 09:10 PM
aigle836
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey Guys !

Thanks for the answers. I promise I will post pictures, but I did not get around to take any yet ! :-)

I am trying to get used to it. I usually am pretty open to new stuff, but I am having a tough time with this. Especially in my driveway which got a good angle.

The system comes on, either forward or backward. It also comes on if I move forward (in first gear) stop, put it in neutral, release the brake. It takes about 2 seconds for the brake to release. It then goes down a few feet in neutral. I put the brake on (still in neutral) and when I release the brake it does it again ( 2 seconds before it releases).

When I go around in my driveway ( to change direction) I also stall both ways, always fighting the brakes. I really really hate it !!! I look like someone who can't drive manual !!!!!
When you do small movements on a hill, it is really troublesome !
I have to find a way to disable this thing !
Old 05-28-2009, 09:15 PM
vexed
Racer

Hey Guys !

Thanks for the answers. I promise I will post pictures, but I did not get around to take any yet ! :-)

I am trying to get used to it. I usually am pretty open to new stuff, but I am having a tough time with this. Especially in my driveway which got a good angle.

The system comes on, either forward or backward. It also comes on if I move forward (in first gear) stop, put it in neutral, release the brake. It takes about 2 seconds for the brake to release. It then goes down a few feet in neutral. I put the brake on (still in neutral) and when I release the brake it does it again ( 2 seconds before it releases).

When I go around in my driveway ( to change direction) I also stall both ways, always fighting the brakes. I really really hate it !!! I look like someone who can't drive manual !!!!!
When you do small movements on a hill, it is really troublesome !
I have to find a way to disable this thing !
Darn that is exactly the experience I had backing down into my driveway. I wonder if you can fool the system by pushing the gas pedal.

Please update us when you find a good solution. Thanks.
Old 05-29-2009, 02:08 AM
997sRider
Track Day

I don't like the feature too. It's been couple of months and still catches me by surprise sometimes. It's only useful if you are on very steep hill and someone is couple of inches from your bumper. When you are in neutral it doesn't engage. I just roll down my steep driveway everymorning. I think it engages only in forward gears.
Old 05-29-2009, 03:16 AM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

i understand its easier than the conventional but the convention way takes like 3 seconds to learn and do right.. just be quick with feet, use right foot to do both brake and gas while releasing clutch, or use ebrake to assist in worst case scenario's.. this system sounds like more suited to women drivers (oops)

Quick Reply: Porsche Drive-Off Assistant