Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Unknown stain inside rear

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2009, 03:16 PM
stumil
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

I did think long and hard about the title.
I'm glad it was enjoyed but it didn't help me get to the bottom of the problem yet. Someone must have an idea and no I didn't leave the windows open ??

Please let me know when you get to "the bottom of the problem".
Old 06-08-2009, 03:48 PM
todd.
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There's Something About CAB.
Old 06-08-2009, 07:06 PM
MBX5
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is only my second post, but I have been a lurker for a while and this, by far, is the funniest thread I have ever seen.
Old 06-08-2009, 11:42 PM
Kevin K
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jeff,

You said you tried a damp cloth to no avail.

That area of the car is not a natural material - it's a vinyl derivative, which means it isn't porous. Most stains should come out unless they remove (and thus lighten) the color on the plastic.

Most of us have a favorite cleaner/"protectorant" - Vinylex by Lexol is a popular one.

Try some of these and see what happens. Let us know.

Kevin
Old 06-08-2009, 11:51 PM
kauai_diver
Straight to Video
Rennlist Member

was that stain the result of an immaculate conception?

sorry hmm i have nothing useful to add here, move along now...
Old 06-08-2009, 11:58 PM
Le Chef
Three Wheelin'

Default I think Dan has found a clue...

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Do you ever have have it mounted?
It could kind of explain why the stain is there.
Old 06-09-2009, 04:21 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin K
Jeff,

You said you tried a damp cloth to no avail.

That area of the car is not a natural material - it's a vinyl derivative, which means it isn't porous. Most stains should come out unless they remove (and thus lighten) the color on the plastic.

Most of us have a favorite cleaner/"protectorant" - Vinylex by Lexol is a popular one.

Try some of these and see what happens. Let us know.

Kevin
In my car, and I venture to suggest, any with full leather, that area is leather. Clearly the dealership should have exercised more care or restraint in that area if they were lubricating something back there. Most of that stuff can be removed but I would put the responsibility back on them, just in case it's problematic. (If I had to choose, I would use a light colored turkish towel, with some brake cleaner sprayed on the rag).
Old 06-09-2009, 10:30 AM
Kevin K
Instructor

Jeff,

If the area is leather, then my error. Sorry. Not sure if you have a full leather interior or not and as has been discussed recently the various surface materials can be difficult to discern. I've had my car three years and I'm still not entirely certain of what a particular trim part is made of.

I wouldn't have thought of brake cleaner as something I'd try but Edgy01 is more expert at that than most. There are some excellent leather cleaning products on some of the sites - www.properautocare.com is one of them. You can also find some good choices for cleaning and protecting other areas of the car.

I know how **** one can be (sorry, I had to throw that in) when it comes to any marring on a new car, but I do think you'll succeed in getting this cleaned up.

Kevin
Old 10-03-2009, 06:37 PM
JEFF80
5th Gear

Smile

Took me a while to get around to this but I've successfully removed the stain in my rear. I tried a couple different products. The one that worked was Meguires Gold Class Rich Leather Conditioner (found in my area at R&S Strauss). Really had to work it in but now you can't tell the stain ever existed.

Didn't have to resort to it but the counter person at the store recommended I heat up the solution for a few seconds in the microwave before applying it for best results.

My dealer was also very gracious about the matter when I informed them of the problem. Of course they said it was highly unlikely that lubricant dripped out from service, or that they were the cause of it, but they did offer to detail the car and do their best to remove it. I dealt with it on my own simply due to the time involved with having to bring into the shop.

Jeff
Old 10-03-2009, 06:41 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 126 Posts

Thanks for coming back and reporting on the resolution. That's what this forum is for,--for learning.
Old 10-03-2009, 06:42 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 405 Likes on 210 Posts

Glad you fixed it. I'm sure it was a pain in the rear.
Old 10-03-2009, 09:36 PM
talkinghead
Rennlist Member

Jeff, is the stain right below the fold area where there is the break in the plastic edging that covers over the side window glass?
This brings up a question I was wanting to ask....do you CAB owners find that you have leakage points,and if so where? Assuming that there is an exposure for leakage, what treatment would you suggest to prevent the staining that occured with Jeff's car?

Old 10-03-2009, 09:52 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by JEFF80

I'm theorizing that when car went in for first checkup, the roof gets opened and closed and lubricated, and some lube oozed out down both sides the first or second time the roof was opened afterwards.
The car is an '08 997S Cabriolet.

Didn't have to resort to it but the counter person at the store recommended I heat up the solution for a few seconds in the microwave before applying it for best results.

Jeff
STOP, you're killing me!

Oh, yeah, Welcome to Rennlist a.k.a. Phunny Pharm!
Old 10-04-2009, 10:38 AM
JEFF80
5th Gear

talking ahead---please see photo on pg. 1 of the thread for location
Old 10-04-2009, 01:16 PM
talkinghead
Rennlist Member

talking ahead---please see photo on pg. 1 of the thread for location
I didn't remember where the fold point was on the roof/window intersection, but I thought it might be a clue as to the source of the contaminant.

BTW, it's talkinghead (singular) as in David Byrne and the Talking Heads, one of my favs!

+-

Quick Reply: Unknown stain inside rear