Sponsored by:

Unknown stain inside rear

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 09:56 PM
JEFF80
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Unknown stain inside rear

Photo shows a stain that appeared on the rear interior of my 997 Cab. You are looking at the driver's side in the photo but the same identical stain, same exact pattern, appeared on the passenger side at the same time (the stain is what looks like the shadow in the center).

Not sure what it is or how to get it out if that is possible. A damp cloth did nothing.

It had been at the dealer a few weeks before I noticed this for it's first service.
I know it wasn't like this when I brought it in and I don't think it was like this when I brought it home from service but I can't be sure.

I'm speculating that they used some type of lubricant for the cab that leaked out because there was (and still is) beads of an oily substance around the bottom rubber ledge of both doors.

Any thoughts on what it is and what to do about it? Thanks
Attached Images  
Old 06-02-2009, 10:07 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dunno, maybe the window was left open.

but wow, the title of this thread... was that intentional???

Originally Posted by JEFF80
Photo shows a stain that appeared on the rear interior of my 997 Cab. You are looking at the driver's side in the photo but the same identical stain, same exact pattern, appeared on the passenger side at the same time (the stain is what looks like the shadow in the center).

Not sure what it is or how to get it out if that is possible. A damp cloth did nothing.

It had been at the dealer a few weeks before I noticed this for it's first service.
I know it wasn't like this when I brought it in and I don't think it was like this when I brought it home from service but I can't be sure.

I'm speculating that they used some type of lubricant for the cab that leaked out because there was (and still is) beads of an oily substance around the bottom rubber ledge of both doors.

Any thoughts on what it is and what to do about it? Thanks
Old 06-02-2009, 10:55 PM
hello911
Intermediate

funniest title of the year!
Old 06-02-2009, 11:07 PM
abe
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Boy, almost looks like somebody spanked the monkey in the car...do you have teenagers?
Try one of those UV lights....if it glows green, let someone else clean the thing.
abe
Old 06-02-2009, 11:18 PM
braden
Intermediate

i read that thread title and laughed my *** off. only funnier part was the descritpoion of the oily substance left behind. And Abe thats classic
Old 06-02-2009, 11:19 PM
braden
Intermediate

i know cab owners love their cars, but isnt that taking it too far?
Old 06-03-2009, 12:18 AM
abe
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Dear Jeff80,

Not that I make a "model" rennlist citizen....but it would be nice if you introduced
yourself, stroke us a little (maybe wrong choice of words), tell us how great this site is before just jumping in.
If you have not figured it out...we are just joking with you and don't let this first experience turn you off (turn on off...their I go with the wrong words again).
Anyway, welcome and I hope the stain gets cleaned. Don't have a daughter named Monica do you?
abe
Old 06-03-2009, 05:08 AM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by abe
Dear Jeff80,

Not that I make a "model" rennlist citizen....but it would be nice if you introduced
yourself, stroke us a little (maybe wrong choice of words), tell us how great this site is before just jumping in.
If you have not figured it out...we are just joking with you and don't let this first experience turn you off (turn on off...their I go with the wrong words again).
Anyway, welcome and I hope the stain gets cleaned. Don't have a daughter named Monica do you?
abe
Poor Monica! I had dinner with Dr. and Mrs. Lewinsky (her parents) a few years ago, and being a very proud dad, I was talking on and on about my daughter. Suddenly it dawned on me that maybe daughters was the wrong choice of subjects, so I abruptly started talking about the wine.
Old 06-03-2009, 07:07 AM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 405 Likes on 210 Posts

Great title.
I thought it was from a colonoscopy finding.
Old 06-03-2009, 10:44 AM
blk on blk
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

i was expecting the rear stain to be much darker.
Old 06-03-2009, 08:58 PM
JEFF80
5th Gear

I did think long and hard about the title.
I'm glad it was enjoyed but it didn't help me get to the bottom of the problem yet. Someone must have an idea and no I didn't leave the windows open ??
Old 06-04-2009, 02:15 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 126 Posts

Having a similar car I checked mine out thoroughly. While I have natural brown, I would still expect to see something like that (tan is very unforgiving). The only thing that could be doing this consistently on both sides may be the wind stop device. Do you ever have have it mounted? Have you ever spilled anything on it? That's as far as I can imagine. Is the leather marred at all, or is it simply on the surface? A good leather cleaner should take that off.
Old 06-04-2009, 03:30 AM
boolala
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JEFF80
I did think long and hard about the title.
You thought long and hard about the title?

This is getting more interesting by the minute....
Old 06-07-2009, 10:49 PM
JEFF80
5th Gear

"The only thing that could be doing this consistently on both sides may be the wind stop device. Do you ever have have it mounted? Have you ever spilled anything on it? That's as far as I can imagine. Is the leather marred at all, or is it simply on the surface?"

Wind stop has not been mounted recently. Last time it was installed was 6 months prior to stain appearing. No spills. Leather is not marred at all, this is simply on the surface. I'll take a few more photos this week to see if it helps anyone identify.

I'm theorizing that when car went in for first checkup, the roof gets opened and closed and lubricated, and some lube oozed out down both sides the first or second time the roof was opened afterwards.
The car is an '08 997S Cabriolet.
Old 06-08-2009, 12:58 PM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts

"I'm speculating that they used some type of lubricant for the cab that leaked out because there was (and still is) beads of an oily substance around the bottom rubber ledge of both doors."
It looks like the stain is in line with the edge of the rear window. Maybe they used Rubber lube/preservative on the seals around the windows and doors? Is there any showing up on the windows around the edges?

Quick Reply: Unknown stain inside rear