Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

for those of you who are cyclists...

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2009, 05:40 PM
davemon
Track Day

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

I've had a Specialized Roubaix for a few years... whichever the lowest end model in the range that was still full carbon was at the time. I've got bad wrists and neck from computer work so the bike fit me very well and coming from recumbents (gave them up when I moved into the city) it was the most comfortable thing I could find that had that nice zippy feeling. I tweaked a few parts to get the fit "just" right and love the thing. Then again I am pretty chill now and my 200 mile days are something in my past and not in my future. I really need to get out on it more but find myself doing mcu more running as it is just easier in the city.

Enjoy the ride!

Dave

Originally Posted by allegretto
after 21Yrs of being away, i went to the store for two-wheelers for the 5 yr olds.

Lord, the new bikes are so trick. bought a Specialized Roubix first, but went to have it fit and switched to a custom.so different, so fast, so comfortable.

it would seem that some/many here may share the disease and i wondered what sophisticated tastes that chose 997's (shameless attempt to avoid being OT) such as you would prefer to ride.

sorry if this is too OT, but i wouldn't dream of posting on that forum...
Old 06-27-2009, 07:02 PM
brendo
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I tricked mine out a bit - i especially love the basket on the front.
Attached Images  
Old 06-27-2009, 07:11 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 405 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by brendorenn
I tricked mine out a bit - i especially love the basket on the front.
Brendan,
Do those two small wheels in back help lay the power down?

In all seriousness, this is an interesting thread! Hell, my two bikes are both Trek and they're 15+ years old and work great. Cool pics.
Old 06-27-2009, 07:23 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sethm2
I own 2 bikes both custom sizes.

Road- Serotta Mevici with Sram Red and a wireless SRM. The bike is riding on Zipp CSC wheels for training. WOnderful bike and light.

TT- Guru Crono full Dura Ace with SRM wireless as well. Training wheels HED bastogne. Racing wheels Zipp 404 with disc cover.

I love my 50/34. It is a great when paired with 11-26.
why didn't you go Meivici AE for your TT?

do you have a link for the wireless shifter, sounds interesting. kind of PDK for a bike.

i was told today that i shouldn't go 50/34 unless i do a lot of hills and forget the 11-XX, stay with 11-25 since i will be headed to Wisconsin and will be thankful if i hit any hills with a headwind!
Old 06-27-2009, 07:23 PM
Hauser_III
Racer

I've got a Cervelo R3 with Corima aero wheels, a mixture of Campy Record and Campy Chorus components, a 50-34 compact crank with Q-rings (elliptical chainrings made by Rotor Cranks USA) and an 11-23 cassette. It's a really good machine---much better than the engine that's powering it, unfortunately.
Old 06-27-2009, 07:29 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Hauser_III
I've got a Cervelo R3 with Corima aero wheels, a mixture of Campy Record and Campy Chorus components, a 50-34 compact crank with Q-rings (elliptical chainrings made by Rotor Cranks USA) and an 11-23 cassette. It's a really good machine---much better than the engine that's powering it, unfortunately.
was just looking at the R2 and R3 today (beautiful bikes!). he said he sold more R2's because they tended to "fit" more riders (the guy is fanatical about fitting and it sure made a difference for me). do you agree?

yeah, i'll never be a good engine anymore, but i can do my best...
Old 06-27-2009, 07:57 PM
sethm2
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

why didn't you go Meivici AE for your TT?

do you have a link for the wireless shifter, sounds interesting. kind of PDK for a bike.

i was told today that i shouldn't go 50/34 unless i do a lot of hills and forget the 11-XX, stay with 11-25 since i will be headed to Wisconsin and will be thankful if i hit any hills with a headwind!

SRM is a power meter. It is a great device for building power on the bike and pacing.

Whoever told you to forget the 50/34 is incorrect. I know many many people who use them. There are many gear choices you can pair it with. You will find many rollers in WI. I have friends who have done Ironman WI (madison) and the course is tough. You will find headwinds anywhere.

My bet is if you use a standard crank and an 11-25 you will struggle climbing, unless you are a very string cyclist.

Good luck.

Also, the AE was not available and Serotta make great road bikes not TT.
Old 06-27-2009, 08:32 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

nothing insane here.. my main hobby is watches.. as far as bikes i do not compete so i feel as long as it works the way i want and is nice and light and fits me well its good to go..

have the jamis ventura Elite (pedals have been changed out, pic is from right when i got it)

the cat likes it too,
Old 06-27-2009, 08:55 PM
DCP
Burning Brakes

Whoever told you to forget the 50/34 is incorrect.
Just so that there is no confusion. What I said was that he should forget my negative comments about the 11-21 cassette if he was getting compact gearing on the crank. I don't think there is anything wrong with a 34-50.
Old 06-27-2009, 09:00 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

SRM is a power meter. It is a great device for building power on the bike and pacing.

Whoever told you to forget the 50/34 is incorrect. I know many many people who use them. There are many gear choices you can pair it with. You will find many rollers in WI. I have friends who have done Ironman WI (madison) and the course is tough. You will find headwinds anywhere.

My bet is if you use a standard crank and an 11-25 you will struggle climbing, unless you are a very string cyclist.

Good luck.

Also, the AE was not available and Serotta make great road bikes not TT.
oh, he just said unless i do a lot of hills the 53/39 is better. that the 50/34 is better if i am doing hills. either that, or he said Campy makes cogs to 29 if i want to go crazy. as with cars, all the choices make for many hours of consideration. it has taken me literally decades to refine my tastes and skills in cars... now bikes... again!!!

i thought the SRM was one of those electric shifters (i told you guys i've been out of it for over two decades). i'm very interested in a power meter, i'm a real data freak, it helps me set and hopefully attain goals. but someone told me unless i intend upon competing i should just do T and D comparisons and leave it at that. i take it you disagree?
Old 06-27-2009, 09:38 PM
jimmermd
Instructor

53/42 with long crankarms. get a second wheel so that you can have long and short gears for different rides.
Old 06-28-2009, 01:36 AM
brendo
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Coochas
Brendan,
Do those two small wheels in back help lay the power down?

In all seriousness, this is an interesting thread! Hell, my two bikes are both Trek and they're 15+ years old and work great. Cool pics.
that is my AWD bike . i also have a Trek Madone on the wall there. i don't ride it much since i got sick a few years ago but with the compact crank, i ate up more than a few hills here in Seattle...
Old 06-28-2009, 07:46 AM
sethm2
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

oh, he just said unless i do a lot of hills the 53/39 is better. that the 50/34 is better if i am doing hills. either that, or he said Campy makes cogs to 29 if i want to go crazy. as with cars, all the choices make for many hours of consideration. it has taken me literally decades to refine my tastes and skills in cars... now bikes... again!!!

i thought the SRM was one of those electric shifters (i told you guys i've been out of it for over two decades). i'm very interested in a power meter, i'm a real data freak, it helps me set and hopefully attain goals. but someone told me unless i intend upon competing i should just do T and D comparisons and leave it at that. i take it you disagree?
No offense on the 50/34 comment to anyone but there are too many people killing themselves when a compact will do the trick. Hills are relative to everyone if you are just getting back into it I would suggest the compact it will make your life easier.

You have the correct view of a power meter it is the best training tool if you have the coin. Time and distance tells you nothing other than time and distance. A power meter tells you how hard you are working and most importantly keeps you honest. For example if you want to hold 250 watts for 20 minutes well then that is what you do. It is not possible to do that with T+D. If you decide to get back into it a power meter is a must. It is the best and most efficient way to build powah ie Speed on the bike. If you search the web there are tons of resources ie plans etc. The two types to consider are SRM which is crank based, you can use any set of wheels and POwertap which is hub based it gets built into the hub of a wheel. Each have their pros and cons I prefer SRM but they are more expensive.

Most important is get out there and ride! Is there a better day than 50 mile ride in the am and then off in the C4S for a nice cruise?
Old 06-28-2009, 10:33 AM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 828 Likes on 543 Posts

yeah,

got a Serotta Meivici w/ Super Record all over. !
Ben builds great bikes, enjoy!

Super Record?????????????????
you put stuff from the 70's on a modern bike?????????
or do you mean Record?

either way, you've got a winner.

be safe

Craig, ( ~ 3 miles from Campy USA in Carlsbad)
Old 06-28-2009, 10:40 AM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 828 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by DMoore
Bikes are my true weakness. I raced Masters for a number years, although I was never anything more than pack fodder. My favorites are lugged steel frames. My collection:

Brian Baylis, full Campy Record
(This bike won best paint and best lugs at 2007 North American Hand Built Bicycle show)
Brian Baylis, full Campy Record
(an older criterium frame from the 90's)
Richard Sachs custom, full Campy Record
Orbea Orca, full Campy Record
(my race bike from a few years ago)
Abici TT, full Campy Record with Zipp disk and Nimble trispoke wheels
(my time trial bike)
Ciocc Mockba '80, full Campy Super Record
(my fully restored first good race bike, bought new in '84)
Santana Moda, full Campy Record OR
(antique MTB)

DMoore
'09 C2S PDK (launch model)
'08 Audi S4 Avant (the bike hauler)
do we know each other?
i know BB well and enjoy riding my 97 Special, and other things............

Do you keep the Baylis' and the Sachs' in separate rooms?

an Audi Avant? you B@stard
i'm still making due with a Subie OBK.

cheers

Craig

Quick Reply: for those of you who are cyclists...