Sponsored by:

Recommendation for New Tires

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 12:23 PM
cole328
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Recommendation for New Tires

Gents - I apologize in advance, but I am not the best at using the RL search function, so thought I would post the question. I have a 2008 "S" that came with the Pierlli P Zero Rossos , 19" rims. I have replaced three sets of rears and at 22K, the fronts are now almost done, so going to swap out all four and get a new set. I really have never lked the pirelli's, as while they handled pretty well, they got noisy VERY quickly. So, am considering a switch to either the Bridgestone Potenza RE050A, or the Michelin P-sports. Leaning toward the Bridge's, as while I have heard great things about the michelin's, they just seem so darn expensive. However, may be worth the extra money if they last any longer (I am averaging about 6500 miles per rear set, inclusive of 1-2 DEs).

if it helps in your advice, car is a daily driver, and I do 2-3 DE's per year. Thanks much
Old 07-28-2009, 12:56 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 126 Posts

With DD duties, you would want mileage as a significant factor in your tire choice. Also, with year-around potential for slick roadways (Florida, and their slick oyster shell highways) you need something that does well in the wet.

Porsche AG swears by the Michelins, as something they specifically designed for the 997. However, for a DD, they are radically expensive compared to the Bridgestones. Even the Pirellis are pricy compared to the Bridgestones.

I can only comment on the Bridgestones. They came on the car, and I have replaced the fronts once and the rears twice (as is the usual standard for a 2WD Carrera). I like them because they are long wearing and have great performance,--while giving a great ride.

I have another set of wheels (18s) that came with Continentals and am not too impressed with them--but the tires may be all dried out and these not representative of that brand.
Old 07-28-2009, 02:41 PM
swajames
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really wasn't blown away by the PS2's on my 2007 S. Maybe my expectations were too high, but I don't find them to be any better than the P-Zero's that I had before and also have now on my 08 cab. I'm seriously thinking about the new RE-11 when this set is due for replacement. Getting good reviews and looks like a great tire.
Old 07-28-2009, 04:09 PM
BobbyB
Addict
Rennlist Member

I've had the best experience with the Michelins -but they are very expensive as compared to the stones. I've also had good luck with the Conti's and they've had the longest wear for me and were one of the more quiet tires. The P's tend to wear pretty fast as you've experienced. I haven't heard anything bad about the stones so I'm leaning toward them for a replacement set. Good Luck
Old 07-28-2009, 05:09 PM
lawjdc
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just installed a set of the Bridgestone RE-11's on my GT3, for street use. Previous street tires were Michelin Pilot Sport Cups and Toyo R888's. Although its too early to tell how long they will wear, they feel very, very good. Quick response but not "darty", and they have very low noise, less in fact than the Michelins. I am thinking that they are my favorite street tire. I recommend you check them out on TireRack. (no affiliation)
Old 07-28-2009, 05:48 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

If anyone's feeling adventurous I noticed that Yokohama came out with an Advan NEOVA AD08 in the appropriate size for the 911 last month (295 rear, not 305) I had these tires (previous gen AD07) on my M Roadster and they were the absolute best street tires I've ever owned. I'm chuffed to bits at the thought that I'll be able to switch to them the next time I'm up for a full set of four tires. The tread looks nothing like the last generation, but I'm optimistic they'll compare well to the AD07s.

TireRack link
Old 07-28-2009, 06:00 PM
flintworks
Advanced

Pirellis definitely get noisy. Bridgestones have a very hard sidewall and tend to ride rougher. The Michelins seem to have the best mixture of ride, noise, and performance but also have the highest price tag. Any tire you get for a 997 should have an "N" number e.g. N0, N1, N2, etc. This means it was made to Porsche specifications.
Old 07-28-2009, 06:24 PM
BobbyB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by lawjdc
I just installed a set of the Bridgestone RE-11's on my GT3, for street use.
Looking forward to your report on these tires after a few thousand miles....
Old 07-28-2009, 06:53 PM
Leader
Rennlist Member

Received 512 Likes on 160 Posts

Recently switched from Pirellis to Bridgestones. Much quieter, thank you.
Haven't noticed the ride being "rougher." So far, I like 'em.
Old 07-28-2009, 07:06 PM
p-cardriver
Burning Brakes

I went from Pirelli's to PS2s on my 19 inch wheels for summer street use, 2007 997S. I use 18 in Michelin Pilot Aplin in winter and they do great. My Michelins have about 7k miles on them now and are at 6-7/32nds so wearing very well so far. I got close to 15k miles out of the Pirellis for comparison, but used them on the track several times (at novice level).

Last fall I bought a set of 18 inch Porsche wheels with Toyo tires for track use. Those are street tires and I am through them now, so mounting up some Nitto NT01s. I know the sizes are smallish for the 997S (OK for the non-S) but they work fine for me (intermediate now) and keep me out of trouble.

I bought those from a fellow RLer - and if you look at the boards now there is another set for sale in Florida with Toyo RA1 tires ready to go (might be sold) - there is a post in this forum and a listing on the classifieds in wheels.
Old 07-28-2009, 07:10 PM
p-cardriver
Burning Brakes

I should have added that 18 in tires are substantially less expensive than the 19s and there are more choices, so that is a good route for DE use. You can switch wheels/tires in your garage and drive to the DE on the 18s if you get streetable tires like the Nittos or many Toyos.
Old 07-28-2009, 07:20 PM
triode
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 19 Posts

Go to Car & Driver online - they just did a comparo to see which if any could take on the PS2...the Michelin ended up being the best in the wet, but a couple of the others beat it in dry grip.

I personally love the PS2 but am only a lowly 996 pilot...
Old 07-28-2009, 07:52 PM
Pete Lech
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did I read that right - 3 sets on the rear in 22K miles? Wow, those must be some driving events. I have 14K miles on the Pirellis now, and they should go another 2K if I can stand the noise that long. Strictly street driving, however. Did I mention the noise? A friend took his PS2 off in the rear of his 997 at 15K due to noise, but they had some tread left as well.

You might check your alignment.
Old 07-28-2009, 07:59 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

I can't comment on the Bridgestones, because I have not owned them on a 911. I had the PS2 on my 2007 Carrera S and was not overly impressed. They are good tires, but I was not blown away by them. My 08 Carrera S has the P-Zeros, and so far, I actually like them better than the PS2. I think all of the wide high performance tires get noisy once they start to wear significantly. I was concerned that the P-Zeros would flat spot because I had that issue with a previous set, but so far, these have been very good. I do not track my car.
Old 07-28-2009, 08:08 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 413 Likes on 216 Posts

I had the PS2 on my C4S and loved them both on the track and for DD duties. I liked them so much I put a set on the Boxster and loved them.
My TT came with the Bridgestones and I'm just not convinced that they are as sticky as the PS2. I do think the Bridgestones last longer: after 4000 miles and 2 days of track they still look pretty fresh.
The next tires for my 997 will be PS2.

Quick Reply: Recommendation for New Tires