Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cyclists: Would a trunk-mounted bike work on a 997?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 06:52 PM
medtech
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

That is just WRONG...
Old 08-14-2009, 11:34 PM
ryem3
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a Thule Speedway rack and it sure looks like it would fit. However, the car is really low. I'm not sure a standard size race bike would fit on the back without dragging the wheels. Also, do you want the bumpers of the rack on YOUR rear trunk lid...
Old 08-15-2009, 01:09 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 393 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by mikey175
ADias,

Proper, why? In my mind, there is nothing proper about PAG's decision to hire Thule to private label a roof rack to mark up and sell thru dealers at an exorbitant price. Back to the original question, help me understand why the trunk mount won't work.

Thanks,

M
You obviously have an opinion and do not care for other opinions... even though you asked. I do not care if PAG sub-contracted the product to Thule. I care for the fact that they tested the product and recommend it. I would not mount clips on the rear cover and load it with a dynamic load without serious consideration, but it's up to you. You obviously already know.
Old 08-15-2009, 01:27 AM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

We use a rack on the hitch of a GX470 for bike duty - and while I'd love to drag the 911 along for the "car" portion of the outing, there is no way I want any contraption as cantankerous as a bicycle anywhere near my Porsche. Talk about flirting with disaster...
Old 08-15-2009, 07:21 AM
Hauser_III
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cole328
Is that really an issue? how often would any 911 driver, let alone a GT3 driver, want to carry a bike?
Twice every weekend, and once or twice during the week. Never had a problem.
Old 08-17-2009, 09:09 AM
mikey175
Racer

Originally Posted by Hauser_III
Twice every weekend, and once or twice during the week. Never had a problem.
Hauser,

Thank you. How do you get your bike there?
Old 08-17-2009, 09:12 AM
mikey175
Racer

Originally Posted by ryem3
I have a Thule Speedway rack and it sure looks like it would fit. However, the car is really low. I'm not sure a standard size race bike would fit on the back without dragging the wheels. Also, do you want the bumpers of the rack on YOUR rear trunk lid...
Ryem,

I think your last point is one of the most troublesome. The bottom feet of the rack will not rest on a true bumper. This would seem to throw off the weight distribution on a piece of the car that was not designed to carry a load (I think). Damaging my car or my bike....hmmm, so many choices.
Old 08-17-2009, 09:28 AM
mikey175
Racer

Originally Posted by ADias
You obviously have an opinion and do not care for other opinions... even though you asked. I do not care if PAG sub-contracted the product to Thule. I care for the fact that they tested the product and recommend it. I would not mount clips on the rear cover and load it with a dynamic load without serious consideration, but it's up to you. You obviously already know.
ADias,

I do have an opinion and it's probably the same as yours -- it is probably DUM to mount a trunk rack on the back of my car. The purpose of the OP was to solicit reasons WHY that would be dumb . My apologies if I offended. However, I don't consider what a manufacturer decides to sell as the solution set in what should be. Consider the number of mods that most RL'ers do to their cars using non-OEM components. To use your words, this is the "serious consideration" part, and the reason for the original post. I'm after the "why" here. I'd welcome your opinion if you have one. Thanks.
Old 08-17-2009, 09:30 AM
mikey175
Racer

Originally Posted by cole328
Ha Slacky's can typically be found lurking either a) in bars with darkened windows around 2:20 in the afternoon on most days, or b) standing in front of a home depot on a saturday morning.
Cole,

Many thanks again for those tips. The next time I want to do this, I will make sure to swing by one of the two and look for said slackies. I assume they will have badges or uniforms. If not, I will just ask around. Thanks again!

M
Old 08-17-2009, 11:58 AM
aron in toronto
Pro

Willwood makes a bumper mount bike carriers that mounts to their hitch system. I'm not sure how it compares in price to a roof top system but on of the advantages is that the exposed portion of the mount is easily removable. It does however require some modification to the rear bumperettes for installation.

http://www.willwoodsystem.com/index.htm
Old 08-17-2009, 01:39 PM
Ahmet
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

I wouldn't do a trunk mount on any car, particularly one that you'd drive hard at all...

I've been using the factory roof rack for some time on my 996 (identical to the 997), which will work on all 996/997s produced so far, with the only exception being the MKII 997 GT3 -which deleted the roof rack receivers for weight savings. I think the "trailer hitch" mounts are another viable option.

Anyway, say what you will but I think the factory rack system works great. I don't think there's excessive wind noise, and the bikes are firmly attached for any sort of driving, including well into the triple digit speeds, not to mention the very low loading height compared to most cars!

Here's my set up;

and here's a friend's GT3 also using the factory roof rack on a biking trip;
Old 08-17-2009, 02:32 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 393 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by mikey175
ADias,

I do have an opinion and it's probably the same as yours -- it is probably DUM to mount a trunk rack on the back of my car. The purpose of the OP was to solicit reasons WHY that would be dumb . My apologies if I offended. However, I don't consider what a manufacturer decides to sell as the solution set in what should be. Consider the number of mods that most RL'ers do to their cars using non-OEM components. To use your words, this is the "serious consideration" part, and the reason for the original post. I'm after the "why" here. I'd welcome your opinion if you have one. Thanks.
No offense taken. I still think that the OEM's roof solution is the one to go. See Ahmet's post above.
Old 08-17-2009, 02:57 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 126 Posts

Here's another system,--clean, so when not in use it doesn't stick out.

Can double for hauling racing wheels to an autocross!
Attached Images  
Old 08-17-2009, 03:18 PM
machina
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a hitch mount on my Yukon XL but these guys dont have a problem mounting a rack to their 356 & 360.

Also, notice the playboy sticker on the 360...classy
Attached Images   
Old 08-17-2009, 04:25 PM
cag64
Instructor

Yikes!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Cyclists: Would a trunk-mounted bike work on a 997?