Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My 10 seconds (or less) of exhiliration with launch control

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2010, 01:01 AM
LagunaDallas
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same experience here in both a Panamera and a standard Carrera cabrio. My '09 silver/black 6-speed C2S Cabrio and the white/black (the combo I wanted) '09 PDK C2 Cabrio were the only two my dealer had left with the $20K off MSRP deal. My car was on the showroom floor with a few miles. I had just abused the PDK car (with the encouragement of the salesman) and it had nearly 100 miles on it (I can't imagine how many times it had been 'launched'). Needless to say, I took the fresh 6-speed car sitting in the showroom.
Old 02-21-2010, 03:39 AM
simrohor
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am confused here.

Responses seem to encourage which behavior?

1. Abusing a new car.
2. Doing 70 mph on a city street?

Both?

I'll bite and say the OP has been irresponsible, twice.
Old 02-22-2010, 08:13 PM
jimjoe997
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

I was just looking for feedback on my dragstrip times with "launch". The car has 3000 miles on it now, so I assume a few launches are ok. It actually feels less abusive than you might imagine. But, I don't plan to make a habit of it!
Old 02-22-2010, 09:44 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 393 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by jimjoe997
I was just looking for feedback on my dragstrip times with "launch". The car has 3000 miles on it now, so I assume a few launches are ok. It actually feels less abusive than you might imagine. But, I don't plan to make a habit of it!
I see no point in jack rabbit starts. I have it in my car and I pass on it.
Old 02-22-2010, 10:23 PM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Sounds like somebody needs a T4S
Old 02-23-2010, 11:33 AM
MikeBat
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Seems like there is a conscious effort from the dealers to "wow" people with this feature.

Is it me or do you imagine the product presentation to the sales staff, and the presenter telling them "if you really want to sell these cars, do a launch control start."

I mean seriously, after you have done it once or twice for giggles... what is the purpose of it?
Old 02-23-2010, 11:50 AM
Optical TDI
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had it on a GTI a couple of years ago. Obviously not the same acceleration, but it was fun. However I only used it maybe 8 times in a one year period. Didn't like the idea of beating on the clutches.

Is it available in the 2010 Turbo? That would be quite exhilerating for certain.
Old 02-23-2010, 12:45 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 126 Posts

Am I missing something here? These are Porsches--the LAST car I would ever expect to use as a drag racer. With all that weight over the rear wheels, and rear wheels nearly the size of steamrollers, why would anyone EVER feel the need to bring their steamroller to a drag strip?

I guess I would attribute it to the newness of Porsche ownership. Over the decades, I have found that Porsche always stays ahead of engine power with wider and stickier tires (unlike BMW, and others of that ilk).

The art of driving a Porsche with maximum acceleration off the line should be practiced without resorting to some clutch-eating device, but rather with the careful application of one's own dancing upon the accelerator and clutch pedal. For example, by the time I am at 1 mph my clutch is fully engaged and I can then safely accelerate without any worry of clutch lining damage.
Old 02-23-2010, 01:21 PM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Received 133 Likes on 86 Posts

Funny to hear your locations for testing the car. I know very well exaclty every inch of pavement you are talking about. Not optimal for testing a 911 at all, but seems like you made the best of it. I have given it a go on the highway downtown as well (with other cars, my 911 will never see the city), sometimes you do get some distance in front of you to nail it, especially between 23rd st and Javits. What's up w/ the Fenway name, gotta go! Looks like the burial of Big Papi's shirt in the new stadium didn't have much effect! lol
Old 02-23-2010, 02:51 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Am I missing something here? These are Porsches--the LAST car I would ever expect to use as a drag racer. With all that weight over the rear wheels, and rear wheels nearly the size of steamrollers, why would anyone EVER feel the need to bring their steamroller to a drag strip?

I guess I would attribute it to the newness of Porsche ownership. Over the decades, I have found that Porsche always stays ahead of engine power with wider and stickier tires (unlike BMW, and others of that ilk).

The art of driving a Porsche with maximum acceleration off the line should be practiced without resorting to some clutch-eating device, but rather with the careful application of one's own dancing upon the accelerator and clutch pedal. For example, by the time I am at 1 mph my clutch is fully engaged and I can then safely accelerate without any worry of clutch lining damage.
I have seen many times how cup cars and GT3 cars jump start having starting RPMs above 5K. Rear end hops like a kangaroo and car rockets forward. They do it to warm up their hoosiers at first run. Nothing is wrong in particular with that considering you know what you do and how you do it. Worst you can do is to brake off a teeth in your 1st gear. That will be costly. Clutch is a tear and wear item anyway.
Old 02-23-2010, 03:02 PM
wsmknicks
Intermediate

Thumbs down

Nice. Driving around the upper West Side of Manhattan at 70 MPH. Go to a track if you want to drive like that.
Old 02-23-2010, 11:25 PM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Received 133 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by wsmknicks

Nice. Driving around the upper West Side of Manhattan at 70 MPH. Go to a track if you want to drive like that.
lol, are you from the city? 70 mph is not a big deal at all once you get above 57th st, no more lights exist and it's all up to what the driver is capable of during the day. At night, it's a breeze to rip up to the toll. Then it becomes a 2 line twisty thru the Bronx till you hit the saw mill or sprain in Yonkers.

Last edited by SARGEPUG; 02-24-2010 at 10:30 AM.
Old 02-23-2010, 11:35 PM
DJ23
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts

It is included in the 2010 Turbo but from what I've read is an added option mainly for the track. Repeated use could cause unusual wear to the engine. Be careful, especially on the street.

Jay
Old 02-24-2010, 01:22 PM
peterm
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

5k on my odo and Ive used the launch function twice- merely a gimmick has no functional purpose for daily driving. Seesm best as a sales tool.
Old 02-24-2010, 03:15 PM
wsmknicks
Intermediate

Originally Posted by SARGEPUG
lol, are you from the city? 70 mph is not a big deal at all once you get above 57th st, no more lights exist and it's all up to what the driver is capable of during the day. At night, it's a breeze to rip up to the toll. Then it becomes a 2 line twisty thru the Bronx till you hit the saw mill or sprain in Yonkers.
He was at 28th street. Nowhere near the toll plaza or the Bronx. Yes, I misspoke when I said upper west side. We're talking about 28th St @ 12th ave.

In any case, we're not talking about the Bronx River Parkway, etc. here - nice twistys indeed.

And why are you defending someone with "fenway" in his name / avatar

Quick Reply: My 10 seconds (or less) of exhiliration with launch control