Sponsored by:

Dealer add-ons Q.

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 10:49 AM
mander
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Dealer add-ons Q.

My new C4S Arctic Silver w/Black will arrive soon. Will post pics when I have it. My question is the following. I got an email from my dealer yesterday asking if I wanted certain addons - see below. Usually I don't go for things like these but thought I would check with you all to see if I should reconsider. This is for a daily driver in the midwest. Car will be garaged at night but parked outside during the day. Thx.

"Upon arrival would you like any of the following accessories/packages added to the car:

1) Autobahn Speed Film: a clear urethane film that protects the front end from rock chips, scratches and other debris damaging the paint. $899
2) Paint Sealant/Interior Protection: seals the paint and protects it from any contaminants in addition to interior stain protectant from water and oil based stains. $699
3) Ceramic Window Laminate: a UV protecting laminate applied to glass in car to keep temperatures low during hot summer days. Very light tint, with ceramic particles which reduces UV transfer by 98%. $645"
Old 09-15-2009, 12:01 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

1 - Silver won't show rock chips as bad as Black for instance - have you ever had clear bra? I think on a black car, it is almost a must if you drive on the highway often or track. But some people hate the way it looks - and yes, you can see it if you look closely.

2 - sounds dubious to me - I'd have to know the details with that process and talk to some references.

3 - did you plan to do tint? maybe shop around and see if that is the best deal and the type tint you want.
Old 09-15-2009, 12:09 PM
Hauser_III
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I won't comment on the first two, but the $645 for ceramic tint is too high. Based on the price to install the ceramic tint that's in our two cars, with one-piece installation on all windows, you shouldn't pay more than $375-$450 for ceramic tint on a C4S. The tint in my C4S was installed 15 months ago, and I believe it was $355, but I'd have to go look that up to confirm. The Cayenne S just got done, and it was $535 for the entire car, including the sunroof.
Old 09-15-2009, 12:12 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 249 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by mander
My new C4S Arctic Silver w/Black will arrive soon. Will post pics when I have it. My question is the following. I got an email from my dealer yesterday asking if I wanted certain addons - see below. Usually I don't go for things like these but thought I would check with you all to see if I should reconsider. This is for a daily driver in the midwest. Car will be garaged at night but parked outside during the day. Thx.

"Upon arrival would you like any of the following accessories/packages added to the car:

1) Autobahn Speed Film: a clear urethane film that protects the front end from rock chips, scratches and other debris damaging the paint. $899
2) Paint Sealant/Interior Protection: seals the paint and protects it from any contaminants in addition to interior stain protectant from water and oil based stains. $699
3) Ceramic Window Laminate: a UV protecting laminate applied to glass in car to keep temperatures low during hot summer days. Very light tint, with ceramic particles which reduces UV transfer by 98%. $645"

(1) might be a good idea. Many owners go for the clear bra treatment. 3M is common but word is it discolors after a few years. There's another brand the name escapes me. But it comes highly recommended and the pieces are cut to fit before being applied to the car. In some places the film is applied to the car then cut to fit on the car. This can leave tiny cutter marks in the paint that is only noticable when the film is removed some years later.

(2) is unnecessary. Car comes with a very durable paint and clear coat that with proper treatment -- regular cleaning with proper cleaner and some application of wax once in a while -- and avoiding parking car under trees and under where birds roost/perch -- will last and last and still look as good as new.

(3) Matter of taste I guess. I've never liked window tinting but some like it and there can be some benefit for cutting down the amount of heat that makes it through the glass. You'll have to get some personal opinion based on experience with this window treatment. My concern is if the treatment actually does what it is supposed to do and how professional the installation is and how durable the coating is. I've seen older cars with window tinting that is failing and the car's glass looks horrible. About the only way to resurrect the glass is to replace it. Not cheap, which is why so many car owners I guess chose to live with it.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 09-15-2009, 12:14 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

1) ? That's up to you

2) Wax the car with Zaino or RejeX wax

3) Buy a 2-piece window shade from Walmart for about $8. Use this when parking outside.
Old 09-15-2009, 12:18 PM
yemenmocha
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

#2 sounds like a scam.

#1 & #3 are priced too high more than $200 each. A good tint, whether ceramic, nano, or metallic won't cost that much. Same for clear bra, which may or may not be worth it on a silver car that can hide some of those chips well.
Old 09-15-2009, 12:44 PM
todd.
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

All ways for the dealership to make money off you. Be smart, say NO to all.

#1- hate it, looks like crap, you can see the lines, takes away from beauty of paint job
#2- Buy the Porsche somewhere else if your dealer won't deliver it detailed, no protectant lasts, pure profit for dealer.
#3- Why
Old 09-15-2009, 01:12 PM
Da Hapa
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mander
1 - The installation/installer of a clear bra is way more important that the product itself. I paid slightly more than this for my full bumper wrap, front fenders, full hood, mirrors, A pillars, and area behind the rear wheels. 1.5 years and 8,500 miles later and my GT Silver paint, etc. still looks as good as new. I would def. do the clear bra again but would shop it to find a good installer. More likely than not the dealer is selling you a pre-cut bumper kit installed by someone who isn't that good.
2 - complete horse manure and a total waste of money. Ask the dealer why you need a paint sealer after you've got the clear bra. Any product, no matter how good, has to be re applied from time to time. You're far better off finding a good detailer or better yet buying good products and detailing the car itself. The so called "life time warranty" sold by these hucksters is only as good as the company selling them. And most of them are out of business or change names way too often to make the warranty worth a pint of pee.
3 - if you like the look of tinted windows, this is a great idea to keep your car cooler, and more importantly protect your leather, plastics, etc. But the price is way too high even in expensive S. CA.

Reads to me as if your dealer is definitely not doing you any favors but instead looking to pad their bottom line.
Old 09-15-2009, 03:00 PM
kingalien
Track Day

Location: 13-C2S; QLA & frequent-flier on the road and in the sky
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got the full clear bra installed. Worth every penny especially with the professional job that was done on mine.

As for the tint, that is too high as mentioned by others. Shop around.
Old 09-15-2009, 03:10 PM
larrytrk
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

Had the clear 1/2 bra installed on my Seal Gray 06, insisted on it for my black 09.
Worth every penny in my opinion, also!
Included, mirrors ,headlights and fog lights.
Old 09-16-2009, 01:29 PM
mander
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Thanks all. Opted for none of the above. Should have the car on Tuesday.
Old 09-16-2009, 01:54 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 126 Posts

Seems high for all of those. My dealership offered me factory air in each tire. I said, no thanks.

Quick Reply: Dealer add-ons Q.