Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VW to axe Cayenne and Panamera

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2009, 03:07 PM
chuckla
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

These "reports" are based on another article, which I have not read and thus can not judge whether it has an iota of credibility. But, this merger leaves Porsche open for all sorts of "corporate" decisions having much less to do with Porsche than with the overall benefits to VW as a whole. That said, I would be surprised if any of this rumor emanates from authoritative VW sources-after all, if buyers know these models will be sh*t canned in the near future, there isn't much incentive to buy them. Even if there is some sentiment at VW to narrow Porsche's product line, economic and market conditions can easily changes today's views. Still, it's an uncomfortable time for Porsche enthusiasts and loyalists.
Old 09-18-2009, 03:51 PM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

For me it would be fine if Porsche focussed on the 911 range, the Boxster/Caymann and any other sports or racing cars.
Old 09-18-2009, 06:01 PM
soltino
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A new pride leader kills the cubs.

tino
Old 09-19-2009, 05:20 PM
Mad Manx
Instructor

Originally Posted by richc
Good news. Hopefully Porsche will build sport cars and build them better without these distractions.
Completely agree.

The Cayenne has damaged Porsche's image as an exclusive sports and race car manufacturer. And, however good the Panamera might be, I'm not convinced it will enhance Porsche's sporting reputation. Far better that they are re-branded (IMO).
Old 09-20-2009, 02:27 PM
red89
Racer

There is no way that Porsche designed a V8 just for the Tuareg.
Old 09-20-2009, 10:47 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 249 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt(inMA)
Will never happen....at least not in the near future... too much invested in the platforms (VW and Audi share the pepper platform) and too much success for the pepper (outsells VW and Audi).... too soon to tell with the Panamera...

Matt
Define "near future". I came across an article that reports both the Cayenne and Panamera will be terminated at the end of their current model life, which was given to be 7 years.

I still think if this info accurate it is wrong. Who in their right mind would buy a Panamera now knowing it was going to be dead model line in just a few years? The car will have no resale value and value of lease returns will be horrible.

The ending of the Cayenne is just as odd. Porsche has sold a huge number of these vehicles and it seems to be a well-established model line now. What will VW/Audi do to make up this loss of vehicle sales?

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 09-20-2009, 11:36 PM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Mad Manx
Completely agree.

The Cayenne has damaged Porsche's image as an exclusive sports and race car manufacturer. And, however good the Panamera might be, I'm not convinced it will enhance Porsche's sporting reputation. Far better that they are re-branded (IMO).
+1
Old 09-20-2009, 11:40 PM
swajames
Racer

There's really nothing else in the current VW stable that directly competes with the Cayenne or Panamera and actually very little out there in the marketplace that does either. There's no cannibalization from the Cayenne or Panamera, so VW would be crazy to leave the segment untapped. Plenty of buyers are and were happy to pay the cost of a Cayenne Turbo, but very few of them would if the car had an Audi or VW badge on the hood. BMW is a step down market, and the Panamera's prime competition is, by and large, in the segment above. Porsche has these two segments locked down for now - VW would be well advised to leave things alone...
Old 09-22-2009, 02:59 PM
tincanman99
Instructor

Frankly who cares if they kill them off. Porsche is no longer an independent company and I think it dilutes their image. Where I live Cayenne's are a dime a dozen. And 90% of them are not Turbo's nor S's. They have the smaller wheels and are driven by soccer mom's. Sing me a song if you believe they are that much different than a Toureg. Oh yeah, I forgot the Toureg and Q7 have nicer interiors in them. The V6 motor in the Cayenne is from VW/Audi as are MANY other parts. The reason the profit margin on these is so high is because they share many parts with VW/Audi.

Just because someone owns a 911 doesnt mean they need a own a Porsche SUV. I think VW is smart to focus Porsche on what they used to be as opposed to what they are now. Porsche's ridiculous marketing linking the Cayenne to say the Spyders was asinine at best.

Wiedeking and company would rather sell you Porsche badged crap made in some Chinese factory and you get to pay for privilege of of having the Porsche name on it.

Porsche likes to tote their racing heritage everywhere they go but they have not been active in racing in some time. I say put up or shut up.
Old 09-22-2009, 08:36 PM
swajames
Racer

Originally Posted by Edgy01

Those who write for Car magazine come from the same stock who brought you the Vauxhall automobile, and Lucas electrics. Do you really think they know what's best for the most profitable automobile company in the world?
Those who write for Car magazine come from the same stock who bring us the very best motoring magazine there is in Evo, and the very best automotive TV programing in Top Gear (and to a lesser degree Fifth Gear). Car magazine is an excellent magazine in its own right.
Old 09-22-2009, 08:49 PM
J-F-O
Instructor

Originally Posted by Fahrer
For me it would be fine if Porsche focussed on the 911 range, the Boxster/Caymann and any other sports or racing cars.
Yes! What does the Porsche brand stand for? The answer to the question is probably the key. If it's sports cars then that's what they should offer.
Old 09-22-2009, 11:22 PM
John Velasco
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My fear is that VW will dilute the range even more. Think VW's concept Blue something something as an entry car and from there who knows!
Old 09-22-2009, 11:32 PM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

My first thought goes back to finishing the buy on our first Cayenne S (now on the third); while walking out of the showroom, they had a nicely equipped Toureg the sticker price of which was exactly half of the CS (34K vs. 68K). That's why I tend to doubt they would ditch it, too profitable.

Quick Reply: VW to axe Cayenne and Panamera