Sponsored by:

VW to axe Cayenne and Panamera

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2009, 03:43 AM
andrewk34
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VW to axe Cayenne and Panamera

This may be of some interest: VW to axe Porsche Cayenne and Panamera after merger (Rumor).

articles:

http://www.autoobserver.com/2009/08/...-takeover.html

http://www.ferrarivsporsche.com/pors...er-merger.html
Old 09-18-2009, 07:51 AM
svinaik
Advanced

if it is true, then it is most unfortunate and short sighted. Cayenne has been a great success story... much more than Tourag and panamera will have it's own unique space, if allowed to live.

I guess the professional jealousy can not be overcome
Old 09-18-2009, 08:20 AM
Matt(inMA)
Not in MA anymore
Rennlist Member

Received 225 Likes on 114 Posts

Will never happen....at least not in the near future... too much invested in the platforms (VW and Audi share the pepper platform) and too much success for the pepper (outsells VW and Audi).... too soon to tell with the Panamera...

Matt
Old 09-18-2009, 10:35 AM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

When Porsche was a stand alone company, it needed to diversify its offerings to stay alive. The Cayenne and Panamera would definitely help with this ( and the Cayenne certainly did). But, these vehicles definitely dilute the brand ( in particular, the SUV). As part of a larger company, the economic arguments for offering those vehicles become weaker. When people think of Porsche , the 911 should come to mind and, perhaps the Boxster/Caymann.....not SUVs. VW is taking the right approach. They can offer more powerful/sportier versions of the Q7 and Toureg which should take up some of the slack from the lost Porsche SUV sales. Really, the only substantial difference between these vehicles are the engines, and suspensions. Other than that, it's basically the same stuff with differnt styling.
Old 09-18-2009, 11:49 AM
richc
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good news. Hopefully Porsche will build sport cars and build them better without these distractions.
Old 09-18-2009, 12:05 PM
Sadiq
Pro

lolz. never gonna happen.
Old 09-18-2009, 12:20 PM
Orangebubblegum
AutoX

Until they start taking interior bits and sharing them with the 911.

The article also mentions the successor to the CGT. Imagine, bits and bobs from Lamborghini and the R8 making it into the car.

Here in the Gulf, the Toureg is seen as a moms car for those who cant afford a Cayenne and the Q7 has terrible resale value, its not even worth trying to offload one, might as well drive it till it dies.

The Panamera has grown on me, but I dont enjoy having my ********* taken away from me. The S version is $28,000 than in the US and the Turbo is $38,000 more than in the US. Whether this is an upper management decision or dealers fixing the prices, I dont know, but Im not that desperate for one.
Old 09-18-2009, 12:31 PM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 190 Likes on 107 Posts

This was mentioned weeks ago. Key thing to remember is 7 years is a very long time, things change.

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Old 09-18-2009, 01:08 PM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Fahrer
Really, the only substantial difference between these vehicles are the engines, and suspensions. Other than that, it's basically the same stuff with differnt styling.
You're right, but I consider the engine and suspension to be the most important part of a car. So to me, the Cayenne and Tourag are totally different to each other.

For those who disagree, you may view a GT3 to be a C2S with a body kit and with just a different engine and suspension...
Old 09-18-2009, 01:19 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by andrewk34
This may be of some interest: VW to axe Porsche Cayenne and Panamera after merger (Rumor).

articles:

http://www.autoobserver.com/2009/08/...-takeover.html

http://www.ferrarivsporsche.com/pors...er-merger.html
Stuff written to sell auto rags - that's all I can make of it. That or a rumor generated by a competitor.
Old 09-18-2009, 01:38 PM
brendo
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Targa Tim
You're right, but I consider the engine and suspension to be the most important part of a car. So to me, the Cayenne and Tourag are totally different to each other.

For those who disagree, you may view a GT3 to be a C2S with a body kit and with just a different engine and suspension...
excellent POV!
Old 09-18-2009, 01:59 PM
Leader
Rennlist Member

Received 511 Likes on 160 Posts

VW is not a poorly run or stupid company.
For them to take control of the most profitable (per unit) auto maker on the planet (Porsche) and announce the discontinuation of its best-selling model (Cayenne)...does that make sense?
Since its debut as a 2004 model, the Cayenne has accounted for more than 50% of all Porsches sold worldwide. It literally saved the company.
The original article came from England's "Car" magazine. It's speculation.
And not very good speculation, either.
Old 09-18-2009, 02:08 PM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

VW is a very well run company. Even this year they are making a heck of a lot of money. They continue to expand their world market share and their products ( including VW brands) command premium prices almost everywhere.
Old 09-18-2009, 02:31 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 126 Posts

Those who write for Car magazine come from the same stock who brought you the Vauxhall automobile, and Lucas electrics. Do you really think they know what's best for the most profitable automobile company in the world?

No one would ever announce (or suggest) the elimination of a model (Panamera) even before it had a chance to launch itself upon the world.

VW, as does Porsche, needs the Cayenne and the Panamera to broaden their lines. It doesn't dilute the sports car lines at all. (Where do people come up with this stuff?)
Old 09-18-2009, 02:51 PM
agdamis
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

If memory serves when the Cayenne first came out, a Touareg was brought over to the Porsche engineers, they laughed until they cried and kept just the frame the same. So no the Cayenne is not a rebadge. Although I was against a Porsche SUV at first (diluting the blood line and all) I now am on board, they did a great job and have made it a true world beater. Now I find it hard to believe that they would get rid of such a hot selling car regardless of the Q7 or Touareg.

Now ofcourse Piech is such a pompous *** that anything is possible.

In my humble opinion "well run" stands the test of time ie Porsche, BMW, Mercedes Ferrari. VW is showing signs of life, as they have been making interesting and good cars for no more than 5 years.

Ask me again in 2020.

In the mean time God help Porsche!

I'm out.

Quick Reply: VW to axe Cayenne and Panamera