Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changing Oil Before Sitting All Winter

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 11:34 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

Stabilized fuel. Change the oil. Plug in battery maintainer.

No, the car cannot be driven during an Ottawa winter without winter tires. I got stuck in my driveway 2 years ago in 1/2 inch of snow after the tires got cold.
Old 09-22-2009, 07:11 AM
sws1
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, don't drive when there is now on the ground. There must be days when the roads are clear. If not, that's a place I must avoid in the winter.
Old 09-22-2009, 09:10 AM
J-F-O
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by russo
I wouldn't survive a winter without being able to drive the car. There are no dry sunny days in your winter?
Our dry sunny days in winter are about -20C. The tire rubber is hard as rock.

Actually in Québec, Canada there is a new law since last year. You have to have winter tires on all wheels from november 15 to end of march.

They found that this has an impact on safety and reducing accidents.
Old 09-22-2009, 09:24 AM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Fahrer
I am wondering......would it be better to stabilize the fuel for the winter and leave the old oil in the car? Does it make sense to wait until Spring and use the entire tank of stabilized fuel and then change the oil?
I have been storing my Porsches as I stated for years, with excellent results. They go into hibernation in late October, and I don't touch them (except to move them by hand 6 inches every month to further guard against any flatspotting) until late March or early April.

Again, new oil, full tank with stabilized fuel (run in a couple miles), tires filled to 58 PSI (nitrogen fill), Porsche battery maintainer and desiccators.

Come early Spring, they go out for a their typical 400 mile weekend run, and get a full tank of fresh fuel.
Old 09-22-2009, 10:29 AM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by No HTwo O
I have been storing my Porsches as I stated for years, with excellent results. They go into hibernation in late October, and I don't touch them (except to move them by hand 6 inches every month to further guard against any flatspotting) until late March or early April.

Again, new oil, full tank with stabilized fuel (run in a couple miles), tires filled to 58 PSI (nitrogen fill), Porsche battery maintainer and desiccators.

Come early Spring, they go out for a their typical 400 mile weekend run, and get a full tank of fresh fuel.
'sounds to me like the way to go.
Old 09-22-2009, 10:39 AM
No HTwo O
Banned

Originally Posted by Fahrer
'sounds to me like the way to go.
Fahrer, the best is that come every Spring, I have a "new" car! Because the +5 month absence allows the mind to forget all of the great sounds, scents, and sights!

The break does us good. Absence makes the heart grow fonder!
Old 09-23-2009, 12:07 PM
Festus
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In my case, it looks like I won't get the break in 2K miles on my 09C4S before I store it. (New Baby, gonna be out of town for a bit...). What is the thought on the pre-storage oil change if the car has only 1,500-1,800 miles on it. My going in plan was to get an oil change shortly after the break in was done... but I'm not that bright.

Last edited by Festus; 09-23-2009 at 01:37 PM.
Old 09-23-2009, 03:43 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Originally Posted by Festus
In my case, it looks like I won't get the break in 2K miles on my 09C4S before I store it. (New Baby, gonna be out of town for a bit...). What is the thought on the pre-storage oil change if the car has only 1,500-1,800 miles on it. My going in plan was to get an oil change shortly after the break in was done... but I'm not that bright.
I always do the first oil change about 1/2 way through the break-in period anyway. Cheap insurance. Change the oil early and before the winter hibernation.

Quick Reply: Changing Oil Before Sitting All Winter