Sponsored by:

Clear bra experience

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 01:55 PM
TooSixy
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Clear bra experience

I am new to clear bra protection; have never done it to my cars in the past but am thinking about doing it to protect my new C2S.

If you have a moment, please share your experience with clear bra on your car (e.g.: what brand works best, advantages, disadvantages, etc.) Should I just get the bumper and mirrors protected, or should I go all the way (hood, bumper, mirrors, fenders, headlights)?

I've learned a lot from this forum, so thanks go to you guys for sharing.

TIA.
Old 10-12-2009, 02:00 PM
todd.
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You might want to search this one, there's a lot of opinoins already documented.
Old 10-12-2009, 02:30 PM
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 196 Likes on 131 Posts

My .02 cents....dont do it. Never seen one yet that looked good with that **** on. Kinda like buying a new couch and laying clear plastic on it.
Old 10-12-2009, 02:30 PM
JoeShark
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

Try a search but a couple of thoughts based on my experience:

- must have a very reputable shop do this. very important. bad shop = nightmare. I had Premier in No. Cal. do my car and I could not be happier. Absolutely perfect.

- do the whole hood. I can't stand the line across the hood if you only do half. also, lots of rocks seem to fly up and hit the upper part of the hood so you really need protection up there.

- I went full hoood, fenders, bumper, and side mirrors and I'd do it over again in a heartbeat.
Old 10-12-2009, 02:34 PM
larrytrk
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

Had partial hood and fenders, etc. headlights, fogs and mirrors on both my 06S seal gray and my new 09S Black..Looks good and protects.
Old 10-12-2009, 02:46 PM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I have it on my truck, cayman cabriolet and Audi. It does the job. Last install, I had a guy come to my house and do the work. Worked out quite well!
Old 10-12-2009, 02:49 PM
uvgaal
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by points
My .02 cents....dont do it. Never seen one yet that looked good with that **** on. Kinda like buying a new couch and laying clear plastic on it.
Could not agree more. clear bra = gay
Old 10-12-2009, 02:58 PM
GullwingSL
Track Day

Proper installation is the most important factor - find someone who is experienced (preferably with 997 installations) and will take the time. Makes keeping a black car clean and looking good even more challenging, but shouldn't be that bad on your aqua blue.
Old 10-12-2009, 02:59 PM
wwilliams88
Drifting

Received 244 Likes on 148 Posts

I went with Venture Shield instead of 3m. Did the full hood, front bumper, fenders, and mirrors. For the headlights, a good plastic cleaner , such as Plexus should suffice (works for me). Had the install done in February this year and the clear bra still looks like new.
Living in Florida, you know the impact that love bugs and other insects can have on your paint job. I also don't cring anymore when approaching gravel and dump trucks with the debris they shed as they travel down the road.
Old 10-12-2009, 03:25 PM
RH512
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JoeShark

- must have a very reputable shop do this. very important. bad shop = nightmare. I had Premier in No. Cal. do my car and I could not be happier. Absolutely perfect.

- do the whole hood. I can't stand the line across the hood if you only do half. also, lots of rocks seem to fly up and hit the upper part of the hood so you really need protection up there.

- I went full hoood, fenders, bumper, and side mirrors and I'd do it over again in a heartbeat.
+1
Picked up car, taped entire front of car with blue tape, went directly to Detailing Dynamics. Shop is immaculate as was the job.

Be careful of roving freelancers.
Old 10-12-2009, 03:48 PM
TooSixy
Racer

Thanks very much for your insights! Much appreciated.
Old 10-12-2009, 03:50 PM
TooSixy
Racer

Originally Posted by wwilliams88
I went with Venture Shield instead of 3m. Did the full hood, front bumper, fenders, and mirrors. For the headlights, a good plastic cleaner , such as Plexus should suffice (works for me). Had the install done in February this year and the clear bra still looks like new.
Living in Florida, you know the impact that love bugs and other insects can have on your paint job. I also don't cring anymore when approaching gravel and dump trucks with the debris they shed as they travel down the road.
Did you do the clear bra for the headlights as well?

You're absolutely right about the love bugs, hate them, but can't stay away from them.
Old 10-12-2009, 03:51 PM
SY-997
Instructor

Originally Posted by JoeShark

+1 on all points. Also, I haven't tracked my car yet, but it seems some guys have found it useful to mitigate damage caused by track debris.
Old 10-12-2009, 03:56 PM
E55AMG
Rennlist Member

Received 647 Likes on 328 Posts

Originally Posted by RH512
+1
Picked up car, taped entire front of car with blue tape, went directly to Detailing Dynamics. Shop is immaculate as was the job.

Be careful of roving freelancers.
They did mine as well and they are the best. Even with that "lousy" 3M product. No orange peel and barely visible - and I have half hood. you need to look to see the line.

as others said focus on the installer.
Old 10-12-2009, 04:01 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

i think of it liek the new couch argument..

i took my side pieces off 5 at the dealership while they looked on saying "WTH"... they suck. they yellow.. anything gets on em it never comes off..

i guess its good if you tons of highway miles but id rather have some bug damage then a clearbra imo.

Quick Reply: Clear bra experience