Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice requested: 07 turbo vs 09 C2S

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2009, 05:51 PM
blk on blk
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I think if the 09 C2S had PDK I would take it over the turbo no questions asked. If not then I think I would go for the turbo.
Old 10-23-2009, 06:07 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 126 Posts

Porsche marketing is alive and well. Don't be misled into thinking of the 997 Turbo as the "flagship" anything. It's just another model. For simplicity and daily fun,--the 2WD cars are terrific. I drove a turbo for over ten years and while fun, have found the simple 2WD 997 to be more than adequate for having a great time. Why carry around extra weight if it really can't be used? I've been over 180 mph in my 'lowly' 997S cab but would fear that a turbo would put me into the category of 'throw away the key' with the domestic politzei.
Old 10-23-2009, 06:58 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

I have had a TT and Two GT3s. My vote right now is the 09 C2S. Its the best daily I have ever had.
Turbo would be fine if you could get the same warranty. But the level of the C2S is outstanding. I was just blown (not by waste gates) away.
Old 10-23-2009, 07:38 PM
luisimo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why not pick the one that has the options that you care for? Power is nice but I when I was searching for my car I made sure that it had the options that I wanted. Navigation, Bluetooth, full leader, type of wheels, chrono, pasm, etc.

I am always amaze of people hunting for the best deal. This is not the right car when searching for a bargain.
Old 10-23-2009, 09:31 PM
Overdraft
Rennlist Member

Received 383 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by ricster
Honestly....I would buy a cheap car do put the miles on and destroy. But the question is the 09 vs the 07 TT.....NO COMPETITION:

07 TURBO....Why: Bulletproof motor...true dry sump...proven motor with no issues...turbo boost that a N/A cant quite deliver. I cant believe this is even a question.

+1....
Old 10-23-2009, 09:38 PM
kauai_diver
Straight to Video
Rennlist Member

'09 997.2 S without a doubt
Old 10-23-2009, 11:04 PM
JmanCLS55
Instructor

I've an 09 C4S and it's a nice DD but the TT is a complete different BEAST. Im addicted to POWER!
Old 10-23-2009, 11:38 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 799 Likes on 548 Posts

I went through the same decision and got the 09 C2S with PDK. Its truly a great car. I love it. I have a second car but find i really hardly have a use for it. The C2S is really versatile. It can be stiffened (spasm sport) but can be driven in normal too - very comfortable. You can put it in automatic normal and its docile. Alternatively you can put it in sport auto or just go manual (which i seem to do a lot). Its an awesome car. Its not turbo quick but its really quick. 0-60 in 4.1 and its hard to really use all its capabilities on the street.
Old 10-24-2009, 12:16 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

If you dont see how a C2S compares with the TT I am guessing you have never driven the C2S with PDK.
I was in EXACTLY the same position about 9 months ago. I was hunting down a TT. I didnt even CONSIDER the C2S as an option. The only reason I even tested one is because of the PDK. Once we got into the test drive every little event blew my socks off. I had just come out of the 997.1 GT3 so I know what the higher performance 911s are about. Before in the late 90's and the 2000's the differences between the 911 and the TT were HUGE!!! Now the lines are blurred. The C2S is as fast as my TT and my 996 GT3. Whats really cool is it has all the goodies I liked in my AMG. Nav Ipod bluetooth etc etc.
What you have to ask your self is "Self, do you want a TT that you have no idea how it was treated or a Brand new 911 that YOU break in and YOU are the first owner?"
As far as the motor the 07 TT has the "bullet proof" 964 dry sump. The New 10 TT will have the new 9A1. This is the same 3.8 motor thats in the 09 C2S. I didnt believe the "integrated Dry Sump" in the 996. But the 9A1 motor has multiple oil pumps to pick ups to provide oil at any orientation. It is a well designed motor. As an engineer I am pretty impressed with this design. It has 40% less parts. The 2010 TT motor will be the same base motor with blowers. If its good enough for the next TT, it certainly is good enough normally aspirated.
Old 10-24-2009, 12:17 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Oh and BTW one mag got 3.8 out of it in the 0-60 test.
Old 10-24-2009, 09:31 AM
prg
Pro

Personally, on the street I find it more fun to drive a "slow" car fast than a "fast" car slowly. (Not that a C2s is dog slow). I've owned a modded 996tt and a 997gt3rs before my current 09 997 c2s pdk. The c2s I can toss around and use the throttle without going to jail. The gearbox is great for both play and mindless driving. It sold me on the C2s as a daily driver.
Old 10-24-2009, 03:39 PM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 277 Posts

I would get the turbo personally, as there are deals to be had - it's more car for the money and farther down the depreciation curve. AWD durability and maintenance would be worth looking into with that kind of mileage per year.
Old 10-24-2009, 03:48 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 405 Likes on 210 Posts

For a DD, I think either one is a great choice. The cars are however very different to drive. The power of the turbo is a real rush but the refined handling of a 997.2 C2S is also a huge plus. While I don't want to start another 2 vs 4 epic thread, you might want to consider the AWD if the car is a DD where there is lots of snow.
Another factor in the DD thing is the e-amenities that the 09 plus cars offer. I have to say that I take full advantage of the iPod and the bluetooth to my iPhone. The touchscreen NAV etc in the 09 plus cars is also wonderful.
Decisions, decisions.
Old 10-24-2009, 08:06 PM
dD/dt
Racer

A lot of great points and I'm not sure that I'm much closer to a decision. I really need to fish in the turbo forum to find out if anyone's putting this many miles on one, and how they hold up.

To respond to a couple of points in no particular order:

It will be a DD but I have the Land Cruiser for the snow and bad weather days. In fact, days like today where it just pours and I've driven 100+ miles rounding at hospitals, I'd just drive the LC anyway. Even the little 330i is less fun today. For the p-car I'll probably pick up a second set of wheels to mount from November to April in case I find the surprise inch of snow when I head home from work. Any snow or salt on the road, the p-car stays home.

The Cayennes are nice, but the goal is to get the vehicle that best suits me and my driving. I spend and average of 1-1.5 hrs a day in the car, and seldom have a drive longer than 45 minutes. My other choices are actually:

2007-08 BMW M5
2007-08 SL550
2002-05 Acura NSX

I'm getting a 6-speed, not the PDK. Personal preference. I cling to antequated technology. If I didn't, I wouldn't buy a car with the engine in the back anyway.

There is a good argument that I shouldn't drive something like this, considering the mileage I drive, and that I'm just destroying the value. On the flip side, I will be deriving more enjoyment, and certainly getting more miles, per dollar of depreciation on this car than almost anyone on the forum. Anyway, I figure an 09 C2S in 2014 will be worth $25k with 100,000 miles or $38k with 18,000. If my mission were to squeeze every quarter, I'd buy a 3 year old Corolla. If I get a 997, in for a penny, in for a pound.

I've already bought something cheaper in the form of the BMW. It does everything right, but it isn't a 911.

Much as I hate to say it, some of the little conveniences of the new one might sway me that direction. Like ventilated seats, bluetooth, and the ipod adaptor.
Old 10-24-2009, 08:35 PM
dhud
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What the heck, you mentioned the NSX, so I'll throw in my two cents worth. I have owned four turbo's with the latest being a 2007 Turbo. For me, as a daily driver and driving on the street for fun, I found I was driving my '01 NSX more often than the Turbo because it was more fun and useable than the Turbo. The Turbo is an awesome beast of a car and it will whip about anything out there. However, on city streets as a daily driver, it was over kill. Now don't get me wrong, you can easliy use it as a daily driver but you will probably never even come close to tapping its potential. After drivng many different vehicles, I have presently settled on and have been very pleased with an '09 911 C4S. For me, it is an absolute blast to drive. It has the added advantage of Ipod intergration. BlueTooth, touch screen nav, etc, etc. All crap on a track car but as a daily driver, I admit, it is nice to have. At the time I purchased the C4S, there was another '07 Turbo for less money, but I still went with the C4S. Either way you go, I don't think you will regret your choice. But having owned a '07 Turbo, '05 C2S, '01 NSX, and now a '09 C4S, it sounds like we have similar taste. I would go for the '09 C2S. But power corrupts, put me behind the wheel of a 2010 Turbo with PDK and paddle shifters and who knows!

Quick Reply: Advice requested: 07 turbo vs 09 C2S