Sponsored by:

Advice requested: 07 turbo vs 09 C2S

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2009, 07:34 AM
dD/dt
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice requested: 07 turbo vs 09 C2S

I'd like input, especially from people who have driven both. I need a daily driver. The car will get about 25k miles a year, and I'll probably sell it after 4-5 years. This means it will have >100k, and will be more or less "run out" in terms of resale.

So, the leftover 09 C2S with trunk money comes in right in the ballpark of an 07 CPO 997TT. A few thousand less for the new one, but not much different.

Aside from the obvious ups and downs of each one, I think resale value may favor the turbo. I figure the NA car, at 5 years and 120k, has a resale in the $25,000 range. OTOH, it seems hard to find a later model turbo for much under $50,000, regardless of miles. Of course there are very few 993 and later turbos with this mileage, so who really knows?

Also, the GT2/GT3 mafia can relax, I'm not getting one of those for this kind of abusive driving. I'm really not concerned about handling at the limits. However, the roads around here are pretty hilly and twisty and I don't want to miss out on that fun.
Old 10-23-2009, 10:27 AM
todd.
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've actually owned the '07 Turbo, and I now have an '09 C2S CAB.
Nothing compares to the Turbo, the power is just incredible, makes the '09 C2S feel insignificant.

I'm sure some "track" guys will chime in about the Turbo not being nimble, or it's heavy, or doesn't handle or feel like a C2. Ignore them, you're not taking this car to the track. I'm sure Porsche didn't create the Turbo, their flagship car to be bashed by Rennlist "track" guys who make up a tiny, probably immeasurable percentage of Porsche owner's.

As a daily driver, and as an incredible car for the twisty roads, the Turbo will put a smile on your face everyday, especially as you drive to work and are amazed at how fast you'll be going after simply passing one car. The whine of the turbos is music to ears, the confidence of the Turbo is exhilarating. You will have one hell of a fun commute in the Turbo day after day. I'd have one now, but I must have a CAB, and hate the look of the Turbo CAB.

Last edited by todd.; 10-23-2009 at 05:46 PM.
Old 10-23-2009, 10:50 AM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

You might want to check with your insurance company. I found that my insurance company would not insure a turbo.
Old 10-23-2009, 10:54 AM
todd.
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Fahrer
You might want to check with your insurance company. I found that my insurance company would not insure a turbo.
WHAT??? Change insurance companies.
Old 10-23-2009, 11:28 AM
bbrc76
Advanced

Mind sharing which insurance company would not insure a turbo? Any recent negative history impacting your standing with them (i.e tickets / accidents)?
Old 10-23-2009, 11:28 AM
dD/dt
Racer

Originally Posted by todd.
I've actually owned the '07 Turbo, and I now have an '09 C2S CAB.
Nothing compares to the Turbo, the power is just incredible, makes the '09 C2S feel insignificant.

I sure some "track" guys will chime in about the Turbo not being nimble, or it's heavy, or doesn't handle or feel like a C2. Ignore them, you're not taking this car to the track. I'm sure Porsche didn't create the Turbo, their flagship car to be bashed by Rennlist "track" guys who make up a tiny, probably immeasurable percentage of Porsche owner's.

As a daily driver, and as an incredible car for the twisty roads, the Turbo will put a smile on your face everyday, especially as you drive to work and are amazed at how fast you'll be going after simply passing one car. The whine of the turbos is music to ears, the confidence of the Turbo is exhilarating. You will have one hell of a fun commute in the Turbo day after day. I'd have one now, but I must have a CAB, and hate the look of the Turbo CAB.
I think I have this figured out, until I think about the sound of the turbos spooling up. Drooool....

Originally Posted by Fahrer
Turbo is only $70 more per half than the NA. But good point, and you prompted me to call and find out.
Old 10-23-2009, 11:41 AM
CBnAT
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you considered the maintenance costs between the two over 100k miles? I don't know the difference, but might be worth looking into.
Old 10-23-2009, 12:00 PM
dD/dt
Racer

Originally Posted by CBnAT
Have you considered the maintenance costs between the two over 100k miles? I don't know the difference, but might be worth looking into.
That's what I'm hoping to get an idea on around here. I have a good indy mechanic close to home, and he will do all the routine maintenance on either. For the TT, I would only get a CPO.
Old 10-23-2009, 01:06 PM
George from MD
Drifting

Received 353 Likes on 209 Posts

If it's a daily driver I would definitely go for the 09. IMO it's got a lot going for it over the Turbo; it's new, you can essentially order or get what you want. It has a warranty that's going to last for a long time. Maintenance costs would be lower for certain. It has vastly upgraded electronics. I don't think it will depreciate any more than the Turbo- and maybe even less. While 993 turbos may be another story 996 turbos are pretty darned cheap now.

As to the power- can you really use or enjoy it on the street? Even a C2 without the S could get me in plenty of trouble.

Last edited by George from MD; 10-23-2009 at 04:11 PM.
Old 10-23-2009, 01:35 PM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,084 Likes on 621 Posts

Having owned both, I would strongly recommend the C2S. The Turbo was great, but it can only be enjoyed at speeds that will attract significant blue light attention . The C2S is a much nicer daily.
Old 10-23-2009, 01:42 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Go with the 09 C2S. It's FAR from insignificant and on-par with the 997.1 Turbo on the track (just spent another 2 days at Watkins Glen). You've answered your own questions in how you posed them to us. Years from now you will either be selling a 100k 09 C2S or a 125-150k 07 Turbo. I'm thinking the newer and lower mile NA C2S will do better for you.

The new DFI engine is amazing, as is the Gen 2 PASM suspension. Based on lap times at WGI in Instructor / Advanced, the car is overall quicker than 996 GT3s, equal to 997.1 Turbos and GT3s. Yes, in a drag race from a red light, the Turbo is going to get to the next light faster. But the overall lightness, balance, etc. of the new C2S is really something.
Old 10-23-2009, 02:07 PM
agdamis
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

For that kind of use I would buy a Cayenne.
Old 10-23-2009, 03:37 PM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by bbrc76
Mind sharing which insurance company would not insure a turbo? Any recent negative history impacting your standing with them (i.e tickets / accidents)?
Allstate. I do have a son living at home under 25 years old but no real problem with driving histories in the household ( one "mild" speeding ticket).
Old 10-23-2009, 05:09 PM
dD/dt
Racer

Originally Posted by George from MD
If it's a daily driver I would definitely go for the 09. IMO it's got a lot going for it over the Turbo; it's new, you can essentially order or get what you want. It has a warranty that's going to last for a long time. Maintenance costs would be lower for certain. It has vastly upgraded electronics. I don't think it will depreciate any more than the Turbo- and maybe even less. While 993 turbos may be another story 996 turbos are pretty darned cheap now.

As to the power- can you really use or enjoy it on the street? Even a C2 without the S could get me in plenty of trouble.
Good points. However, the CPO warranty would be more helpful to me, since it goes to 100k. I'm going to blow the 50k warranty from the factory in about 2 years and be on my own.

Is the turbo really more maintenance intensive?
Old 10-23-2009, 05:20 PM
ricster
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Honestly....I would buy a cheap car do put the miles on and destroy. But the question is the 09 vs the 07 TT.....NO COMPETITION:

07 TURBO....Why: Bulletproof motor...true dry sump...proven motor with no issues...turbo boost that a N/A cant quite deliver. I cant believe this is even a question.

Quick Reply: Advice requested: 07 turbo vs 09 C2S