Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SFO-FL-NYC - Recommendations Please

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 08:26 PM
nyca
Three Wheelin'

Received 732 Likes on 407 Posts

Buy a portable Sirius radio at best buy or costco on the west coast, get the free activation, return the unit for a refund when you get to NY.

Cross reference your waypoints on your selected route with this guy's reviewed locations:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/diners-dr...ves/index.html

Or buy his books on the topic - the guy has reviewed some of the best comfort food eateries across the USA.
Old 12-22-2009, 09:20 PM
LagunaDallas
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I-20 through Texas is total agony, and definitely no benefits over I-10. I take I-20 to I-10 a couple times a year going to CA and this summer found myself overcome with excitement when I came across a Starbucks in some BFE town. That should sum it up. I'd just power through it and take gota911's food recommendations. I can't think of anything of interest on either of those highways in the state other than some Hill Country scenery on I-10 outside of San Antonio and the Riverwalk (touristy but pretty) once you're in downtown S.A. It'll really make you appreciate Palm Beach when you get there, or even New Orleans for that matter.
Old 12-22-2009, 09:39 PM
tkids
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't help myself any longer as I watch this post. I would make your trip "Weather Dependent" and try this route. Start SF go either the coast all the way down to about Paso Robles and cut east to Barstow. Or if the weather is perfect go to Lake Tahoe, down to Mammoth Lakes and go through Death Valley. Then go I40 through Arizona(Weather Dependent) Flagstaff etc. Seligman Arizona has a great diner, "West Lilo Cafe" with wickedly bad for you Tuna melt along with everything else great! There are still great times trying to follow the old Route 66 (http://www.buy.com/retail/product.as...ingid=59609636) this book give decent route and descriptions. You can even find the original Pink Pavement in spots if you get crazy about it! Depending on your time I would try to stay off the interstates to see America, but if you must haul, drop down to Dallas on the 287 out of Amarillo. I have not done this route in years and don't know the roads are from Dallas to Shreveport to Mobile into Florida. Now, the stretch from Ok city to Tulsa off the toll road on Route 66 is the best, but this will be pulling you North. Make it fun and you will have to be part weatherman for this trip!

Ah the open road

Last edited by tkids; 01-05-2013 at 02:30 PM.
Old 12-22-2009, 10:48 PM
CtrUSA
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Like others I may question the relevance of the detour (or rather entire new trip, really), but that's not the question at hand. If the man wants to go from Cali to New York while going to Chicago first then Seattle then Key West (in that order) before headin to New York (via a detour through Corpus Christy of course), then so be it. There may be elements we're not aware of and if time and driving etc is no object, then why not?

I'm not going to help much before you get to Florida, I could give more advice on Europe than the rest of the US.

As far as Florida goes, I would go down the Golf of Mexico coast. If you're sight seeing, from the Tampa Area, Tarpon Spings could be fun if you can manage to be there for Epiphany (better get started now though!), Tampa might be worth a stop. You asked about food; Try Bern's steakhouse. Veggies grown organically by the restaurant; amazing steaks, killer desert room and the wine list.... If 2 nights in Tampa and for something different; perhaps the original Columbia.
Keep going south stopping in Saint Pete, St Pete beach, then Skyway bridge, then Anna Maria Island for low key what was Old Florida (10 years ago). Some parts of AMI are still old beach Florida. Beach Bistro (on the beach as you might have guessed from the name!) for dinner, and Rod and Reel Pier for BKF. There's a decent B&B on AMI, if interested I'll try to rack my brain to get the name (Harrington House I think)
Further South to Longboat Key, St Armand Circle, Sarasota (stop at Porsche Dealership?) - if dinner in Sarasote = Michael's on East
Fort Myers (don't know if Peter's La Cuisine is still in the area), then Naples w/ 5th Avenue... or is it street - lots to eat there.
Across the tip of Florida (Alligator Alley - airboat ride?)
Arrive Miami. I guess you have to go to Miami beach to check it out. I personally don't like the place at all, but that's personal taste. Coral Gables has great restaurants, stay at the Westin perhaps?
- Question; to Key or not to Key? If you do the Keys you have to go all the way to Key West
- Fort Lauderdale with a stay on Las Olas Blvd, canals, water taxi. I use to like the Riverside Hotel a lot but it may not be all that it once was anymore. Still, given the location I would still stay there.
- West Palm, A1A drive along the higway to see some of the mansions built (all of which are nearly empty 90% of the time!)
- From there I would head inland for some Old-Florida charm. Lake Wales with Bok Tower, an evening at Chalet Suzanne with dinner there, go through Winter Haven to see Cypress Gardens (the gardens not the park), then on to I4
- Orlando? Maybe yes, maybe not. If Yes, then I'd recommend Manuel's on 28th (reservations for table with view of Disney fireworks) or Coq au Vin or Antonio's
- Keep going toward Daytona and the lot. Take your pick. Don't like that area as much. Restaurant = the Cellar
- North toward Saint Augustine. Restaurants (lots) = Collage, Bistro de Leon, Casa Maya, Tasting Room (wine+tapas), Purple Olive. Stay at Saint George Inn or Casa Monica (which seems a bit more hit and miss, but I've been lucky)

Hope this helps... how long are you in FL for? :-)
Old 12-22-2009, 11:05 PM
brendo
Three Wheelin'

^ Golf of Mexico? are you brining your sticks? pun intended, to be sure :-)

portable satellite radios start at $70 for the unit http://shop.xmradio.com/ of course, audio books are a nice companion as well

when in palm beach, go to the seafood bar at the Breakers. hell, stay at the Breakers too. it's wonderful.

edit: don't forget to time it with the 24 hrs of daytona Jan 30

Last edited by brendo; 12-22-2009 at 11:08 PM. Reason: forgot about the 24 hrs
Old 12-23-2009, 07:41 PM
FI Flyer
Racer

I have driven west from New York and back for pleasure twice in the late fall. Last fall, I did my daughter a favor by driving her car out to San Francisco. That was a nice trip too.

This one isn't for pleasure. My daughter is moving back to New York (which makes me very happy) and, as I mentioned, there is a pregnancy involved which makes it impossible for her to make the drive herself.

The timing is not optional. The car has nowhere to stay in San Francisco after the end of January.

So I have volunteered to drive the car east at the worst time of the year. And I have to drive it by a southern route to avoid the perils of driving west over the mountains and across the plains. The fact that I can take advantage of that (southern) route to visit friends in Palm Beach (with whom I will be staying) is a big plus since it gives me another reason to stay south and also breaks a long and boring trip. Of course, I still have to get from the south to NYC and I feel most comfortable doing that on I95.

In short, this is not a pleasure trip. I don't like the route but I like the alternatives less. My hope is that this thread will help me make a bad trip as good as possible.

That said, I'd like to thank everyone (including the critics) for your comments and suggestion. I have learned a lot and am taking notes.
Old 12-23-2009, 07:50 PM
todd.
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Have a safe trip, you'll have the thought of your daughter living nearby again to motivate you.
Old 12-23-2009, 08:22 PM
fgv1it
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Have a safe trip. Despite my dislike of I10, I will be traveling on it in the opposite direction towards the end of January. You are moving your daughter from San Francisco to NY, and I'll be moving my family from Houston to California (Palm Desert). I'll be thinking of you as I travel west on that boring road... and sympathizing.
Old 12-23-2009, 09:12 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

perhaps a hot blond in a red Ferrari 308 will drive by and offer some entertainment! ("holiday roooad...")

while in El Paso stop by the Luchese factory and get some custom made boots!
If you can make a slight detour to Austin try Uchi or Hudson's on the Bend.
In Houston try Goode BBQ company or if youre daring, try the Men's club of Houston. The Food is very good!
good luck!
Old 12-24-2009, 09:45 AM
FI Flyer
Racer

Originally Posted by kosmo
perhaps a hot blond in a red Ferrari 308 will drive by and offer some entertainment! ("holiday roooad...") !
Alas, I will be driving my daughter's black Subaru Outback.
Old 12-24-2009, 12:19 PM
FI Flyer
Racer

Originally Posted by todd.
Have a safe trip, you'll have the thought of your daughter living nearby again to motivate you.
Indeed. So true.

Quick Reply: SFO-FL-NYC - Recommendations Please