Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

911 vs. Ford F-150

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2009, 01:45 AM
TooSixy
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm sorry that happened to you but am glad you walked out in whole. Things can be replaced, human can't. I hope everything will work out well for you. Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 12-23-2009, 09:15 AM
LagunaDallas
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I see the airbag deployment...really glad you were able to walk away from this. I was in a nearly identical accident a few years ago and felt very lucky to escape without injury. And by the looks of where the accident happened, you were SO close to NorthPark to pick up that gift! I have great connections at Boardwalk in Plano if you need anything --- just PM me!
Old 12-23-2009, 10:00 AM
equiraptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by vman4639
Reminds of a time I was taking an exit ramp moderately fast and noticed a Pickup trying to keep up with me. I gently slowed to a normal speed. My wife was confused until I explained that high performance was as much about stopping fast as it was going fast, and that if I needed to stop he would not be able to (I know your situation is different - just reminded me ....)
So many people don't understand that. My little Miata is lightweight with great brakes and great tires. Its stopping distance is tiny. If I actually panic stop, most vehicles will need more than a 2 second gap, just because of how sharply the car can stop (60-0 is 112 feet on the OEM tires, and the tires I choose offer significantly more grip than OEM). I end up leaving rather large distances in front of me a lot of the time, just in the hopes that I can avoid a need to panic stop.

ZenMaster, that was a nasty hit. I'm glad to hear you're okay. If the car is totaled, do you think you'll look for another 911?
Old 12-23-2009, 11:03 AM
German_Saint
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just make sure that if it isn't totaled you at least walk away with $25k in cash as that car isn't worth anything down the road IMO. I'm not talking about the usability of the vehicle - as a few panels and parts and it may be just fine, but it's the down the road cost many let slide and then cannot go back to be made whole.

I'd start -new C4S - minus insurance value = x - multiply x2 - that should make you whole as long as you don't have any neck/back issues.

Good Luck -

PS - Preferred vendors aren't the best - IMO - I'd check around and find out who does the BEST work.
Old 12-23-2009, 11:06 AM
German_Saint
Former Vendor

It's no accident that the car looks as good as it does IMO _ Best built vehicles in the world.

All the ppl that I know that have been thru this situation have been made Porsche customers for life. As a Porsche rep told me one time. "These customers are very valuable and not easily replaceable - we'd like not to lose any if at all possible. "
Old 12-23-2009, 01:51 PM
ZenMaster
Intermediate

First of all - thanks to everyone for the kind thoughts and words. I don't know any of you personally but it's great to see a community of owners respond the way you have.

The car was towed to the body shop on Monday (Stuart's Paint and Body in Dallas) and I've been in contact with Stuart every day. He told me this morning that they got the car up on the lift and removed some of the shields. One of the master techs from Boardwalk to coming over to take a look at the engine and one of the senior adjusters from my insurance company is also going to view the car. When I talked to Stuart on Monday, he seemed fairly confident that the car would end up being totaled. He said he'll have an update for me this afternoon.

I don't really know if another 911 will be in my immediate future. This was my first Porsche and I absolutely loved driving it. I didn't much care for the monthly payment, though. My wife and I will figure out what's next and I'm not really in a hurry to decide, especially if I look for another 911.

Thanks again for your comments and I'll update again when I know more.
Old 12-23-2009, 02:06 PM
todd.
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ZenMaster
I don't really know if another 911 will be in my immediate future.
You'll make a month, maybe two before you are desperate to have another 911, if you don't get another immediately, assuming yours gets totaled.
Old 12-23-2009, 02:43 PM
spiderv6
Rennlist Member

Received 265 Likes on 137 Posts

Regarding shops.....a couple of years ago I ended up with a dinged quarter panel that I wanted replaced rather than repaired.......my insurance company asked me to go to the local Kia dealer which was a preferred shop for them!!

In the end I went to the same place as the local dealer used and was "relieved" to pull into that shop and see broken Porsche/BMW/Mercs everywhere (not a Kia in sight!).

These guys work miracles, and if it's fixable, you will never know it happened. Future value though is a whole other problem.....
Old 12-23-2009, 03:04 PM
SY-997
Instructor

+1 on the condolences - glad you emerged okay.

If the car is deemed totaled, make sure you educate your adjuster on all the options the car had, so that they are fully reflected in the insurer's valuation.

You may also find it a useful exercise as you start thinking about how you would want your next P-car configured.
Old 12-23-2009, 03:15 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 249 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by spiderv6
Regarding shops.....a couple of years ago I ended up with a dinged quarter panel that I wanted replaced rather than repaired.......my insurance company asked me to go to the local Kia dealer which was a preferred shop for them!!

In the end I went to the same place as the local dealer used and was "relieved" to pull into that shop and see broken Porsche/BMW/Mercs everywhere (not a Kia in sight!).

These guys work miracles, and if it's fixable, you will never know it happened. Future value though is a whole other problem.....
Similar story. Hit deer outside of Ely NV. Car towed to local body shop. Shop did not want to even touch the car. I could not have been in more agreement.

Called insurance company. It insisted (in violation of CA ins. rules/regs.) that it was only required to pay to have car towed to nearest one of its "preferred" shops. When I told ins. co. shop didn't want to repair car, was not qualified to repair car, I was told to take car to another body shop or radiator shop or even gas station and have temporary repairs made then drive car home. Wheel damaged. Tire damaged. Front hardware from bumper rubbing against tire. Radiator holed and coolant drained out. A/C inoperable. Headlight out. Unsafe even if radiator/cooling system could be band-aided.

When I informed ins. co. that this too was illegal -- Porsche does not consider a Porsche involved in an accident safe and road worthy until it has been checked out by dealership and its authorized tech -- ins. co. then said it would pay to have car towed 250 miles to LV NV to one its preferred shops. The best one, the best one, was at a GM dealership. The one body shop qualified to repair Porsches (and other high end cars) was not a preferred shop but my ins. co. refused my request to have car towed there. It also refused to have the car towed to another qualifed shop in Reno NV (about 300 miles away).

Since in CA ins. rules/regs. allow me to have car repaired at shop of my choice, I chose the body shop 600+ miles away back in my home town at a shop that was qualified to repair Porsches and which worked in concert with the local Porsche dealership to repair Porsches and a shop that had done the repairs on my Boxster and had advised me during my time I was dealing with my totaled Cayman S. My ins. co. refused to pay for any more than 250 miles of this tow.

I went ahead and had car towed anyhow, cause it ran up over $400 in storage fees sitting 2 days, 3 nights at yard car towed to in Ely NV, and was the storage fee was going to $60/day at midnight that night. That my ins. co. used its preferred shop BS to hamstring this shop's ability to do a proper repair caused me to then tow car another 30 miles to another body shop this body shop not constrained by any ties with my ins. co. and thus this shop was able, after 2 months to put the car back into its pre-collision condition. (And I and my body shop expert and several Porsche techs thoroughly inspected the car several times -- once removing the front bumper cover to get a good view of the mechanical repairs to the headlight, washer unit, vapor recovery system, etc.-- until all outstanding issues were resolved to the satisfaction of my experts/advisors and myself.)

I have may 3 or 4 instances of my ins. co. clearly acting in bad faith in its dealins on this matter. My ins. co. will pay dearly for its shoddy and illegal treatment of me.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 12-23-2009, 03:33 PM
Rambler358
Instructor

Originally Posted by Macster
I have may 3 or 4 instances of my ins. co. clearly acting in bad faith in its dealins on this matter. My ins. co. will pay dearly for its shoddy and illegal treatment of me.
Is there any chance you could tell (or PM) me who this insurance company is/was? I'm looking to change from AAA Insurance to something else.
Old 12-23-2009, 03:44 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 393 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by Rambler358
Is there any chance you could tell (or PM) me who this insurance company is/was? I'm looking to change from AAA Insurance to something else.
I never heard of any issues with AAA (CSAA).
Old 12-23-2009, 04:06 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Good news is that you're OK... and everybody else, too.

Bad news is that I'm gonna be sick just looking at those pics.

May the new car Porsche dealer and insurance company bless and comfort you in this time of loss.
Old 12-23-2009, 05:28 PM
At Law
Burning Brakes

Sorry to hear about your accident.

I would insist that the car be totalled. You don't want it
back and the resale value will be hurt significantly.

When you are working with the adjuster, state your position
right up front and start talking about a "loss of value" claim.

From the pictures, it appears the car has sustained significant
enough damages to the frame to warrant a "loss of value" claim.

Under a well published opinion in Georgia (State Farm Defendant),
a test was established to place a dollar figure to "loss of value."
Significant frame damage is a requirement.

Also, you won't last a month without another 911.
I'm going through withdrawals right now as mine sits
in the garage looking at 12 more inches of fresh snow.
Old 12-23-2009, 05:38 PM
997, esq
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rambler358
Macster, If you don't mind, I would also be interested in knowing (via PM) who the insurer is so that I can avoid them. What a PITA!

Quick Reply: 911 vs. Ford F-150