Sponsored by:

911 vs. Ford F-150

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2009, 08:06 PM
ZenMaster
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 911 vs. Ford F-150

Unfortunately, I think the F-150 came out ahead in this encounter.

Last week during lunch I was on my way to the mall to get a Christmas present for my wife when I was rear-ended by the aforementioned F-150. I was in the right lane when the car in front of me stopped abruptly. There was sufficient distance between our cars that I was able to stop in time without having to slam on the brakes, but when I checked my rear view mirror I realized that the truck behind me was quickly approaching and would not stop in time. I didn't hear any tires screeching so I'm not even sure he slowed down until he made contact.

My car came to rest in the far left lane of the highway (across three lanes) but somehow I was not hit by anyone else. I clipped the car in front of me - my right front vs. his left rear - but consider myself extremely lucky to have walked away from this one. I could have easily been seriously injured or killed if my car had been hit by another car as I got pushed across the highway or if I had been driven straight into the back of the car in front of me. You can see in one of the pictures that the front air bag deployed.

My car was towed to the body shop today to determine if it can be repaired or if the insurance company will consider it a total loss.
Attached Images    
Old 12-21-2009, 08:10 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 799 Likes on 548 Posts

That sux. Hope things turn out OK.

I was bumming today as I slightly scraped the bottom of my front bumper on a parking "thingy". I am not as upset after seeing this.
Old 12-21-2009, 08:16 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 402 Likes on 209 Posts

OMG, I am so sorry. Hope you're OK.
Old 12-21-2009, 08:17 PM
CHV
Instructor

Unhappy

OMG!!! That's HUGE damage to your car. He must not have slowed at all.

Glad you're alright.
Old 12-21-2009, 08:17 PM
jca3
Intermediate

Yowsa. Sorry about that little yuletide bummer. Looks like you might be better off if they total it, the repairs look substantial.
Old 12-21-2009, 08:20 PM
Jay Jones
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear about the accident, bummer. On a positive note, you were not injured and the Porsche can be repaired or replaced.

Don't let it spoil your X-mas, it will all work out for the best!
Old 12-21-2009, 08:34 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 249 Likes on 220 Posts

Glad you're ok. 09 has not been kind to Porsches. My 02 Boxster rear-ended while at stoplight. Shoved into SUV stopped just ahead of my car. $6K damages to Boxster.

My 25 day old new Cayman S hit while waiting to turn right at light. Not even in intersection and other car came across 2 lanes of opposing traffic and smashed into car at left front wheel area. Both airbags deployed. (Had a passenger.). Car declared total loss but I kept salvage rights and sold it at auction for $20.7K. Insurance tried to tell me car only worth $6K to $17K.

Then in July this year in my "new' 03 Turbo hit a mule deer. Nearly 2 months later and $25K (roughly the amount my insurance company paid out and I'm having to sue it for some out of pocket expensives that it unjustly and illiegally denied me) I have car back as good as new.

With the prelims out of the way, with that kind of hit, I think you should strive to get car totaled.

There are several things to you can do. 1) Car must be repaired at a shop that is certified to repair Porches. To be certified it must have a Celette bench and know how to use it. Shop must use Standox, Spies-Hecker or Glasurit paint and paint systems.

Next in order to maintain existing warranty and have any warranty on new mechanicals replaced during repairs parts in place all parts used to repair car must be bought from PCNA. No used, re-manufacturered, or 3rd party parts. (And insurance company or body shop will try to use substandard parts.) Parts must be purchased from an authorized Porsche dealer. Lastly all mechanical parts and systems must be attended to by a certified Porsche tech.

The body shop will want to do as much mechanical work as possible but they are no good at it. Worse than no good, they are terrible. Off line I can tell you stories...

I had my Cayman S towed to dealership and had techs assist the various adjusters who came to look car over. One was clearly over his head and the other driver's insurance company sent out an "exotic" car adjuster. Techs clearly pointed out the seriousness of the damage and adjusters agreed car was total loss. (Est. repairs stopped at around $42K. I had just bought car 25 days earlier for $56K.)

By pressing for the right body shop to be used, the mechanical repairs done using factory new hardware and done at dealer by qualified tech, this will drive cost up to the point the car will be declared a total loss.

Even if it doesn't and repairs are done, at least you will get the car restored to its pre-collision condition.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 12-21-2009, 08:49 PM
go-C4S-injune
Instructor

OMG, I'm cringing in my chair looking at those pictures. I am glad you are OK and as others have mentioned, it's only a car, replaceable/repairable, etc. I hope best wishes for best outcome...

There was a Nor'easter over the wknd, and the roads were slick on the way in this morning, and this SUV almost rear-ended me as well. Thankfully, he stopped just in time. Whether it's because 911s are lower to the ground or they brake so much better than other cars that such close calls happen way too often. I guess I should just be one of those annoying drivers and leave a ton of space in front of me such that guys in a hurry or with plain lead foot just pass me on the left and go rear-end someone else.
Old 12-21-2009, 08:49 PM
Rambler358
Instructor

Originally Posted by Macster
There are several things to you can do. 1) Car must be repaired at a shop that is certified to repair Porches. To be certified it must have a Celette bench and know how to use it. Shop must use Standox, Spies-Hecker or Glasurit paint and paint systems.

Next in order to maintain existing warranty and have any warranty on new mechanicals replaced during repairs parts in place all parts used to repair car must be bought from PCNA. No used, re-manufacturered, or 3rd party parts. (And insurance company or body shop will try to use substandard parts.) Parts must be purchased from an authorized Porsche dealer. Lastly all mechanical parts and systems must be attended to by a certified Porsche tech.
Excellent, good to know info. Thanks.
Old 12-21-2009, 09:08 PM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 72 Posts

add me to the score. Thank goodness we were in the Cayenne GTS and not the C2S last Friday when stopped at a red light a Suberban decided ( as in the driver was texting) not to stop and plowed into the rear of our Cayenne. We were not hurt but his rate of speed caused his airbags to deploy. His insurance company is now trying to get us to accept a check for injury .... not a thing my generation does if not truly injured. I just want our Cayenne fixed. We were lucky to be in such a strong vehicle and with a factory trailer hitch. Total estimate for repairs on the GTS so far is $6000 but almost three weeks because of parts order. If we had been in the C2S it would have been longer and the Carrera would most likely been destroyed. Please tell your friends do not aim at Porsches we are not your enemies.
Old 12-21-2009, 09:10 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 126 Posts

Inattentive driving by the truck. All that mass can do an amazing amount of damage. So glad to hear that you walked away and it wasn't worse. These vehicles can take a severe beating--and are designed to sacrifice themselves to save the owner. That's the way it's supposed to be. I hope you get the right settlement.
Old 12-21-2009, 09:18 PM
Asquared
Nordschleife Master

Received 66 Likes on 39 Posts

Wow. That must have been a pretty good hit. Glad to hear everyone is ok. It could have been much worse.

With that much damage to the front and the rear, I think you would be better off getting a check.
Old 12-21-2009, 09:18 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Ow, that's awful. I guess you should just be glad it was just an F-150 and wasn't an F-350 Super Duty with a 1,000lb cast iron "brush guard" on the front. In Texas that's a realistic worry.

Some days it seems like over half the vehicles in the parking deck at my office tower in central Houston look like they're equipped to drive the Paris-Dakar rally.
Old 12-21-2009, 09:29 PM
zanwar
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fairly soon, you'll be driving a Porsche again. The other driver won't .

So I don't think the F-150 driver came out ahead.
Old 12-21-2009, 09:34 PM
ZenMaster
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Macster

The body shop will want to do as much mechanical work as possible but they are no good at it. Worse than no good, they are terrible. Off line I can tell you stories...

I had my Cayman S towed to dealership and had techs assist the various adjusters who came to look car over. One was clearly over his head and the other driver's insurance company sent out an "exotic" car adjuster. Techs clearly pointed out the seriousness of the damage and adjusters agreed car was total loss. (Est. repairs stopped at around $42K. I had just bought car 25 days earlier for $56K.)

By pressing for the right body shop to be used, the mechanical repairs done using factory new hardware and done at dealer by qualified tech, this will drive cost up to the point the car will be declared a total loss.

Even if it doesn't and repairs are done, at least you will get the car restored to its pre-collision condition.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Thanks for the information. My insurance specifies OEM parts upon replacement. In addition, the body shop the car was taken to was not only recommended by my dealership, it's on my insurance company's list of preferred vendors so they'll bill the insurance company directly and there should also not be any dispute over the estimate. Work is also guaranteed for as long as I own the car.

After the body shop disassembles the car, it's going to the dealership for any/all mechanical work per the owner of the body shop. I'm confident that if the car is able to be repaired that it will be done correctly and the car restored to its pre-accident condition.

However, I am in agreement that the car will likely end up being totaled after the estimates are added up. It's a shame, too - that was my first Porsche and I really liked it.

Quick Reply: 911 vs. Ford F-150