Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would you buy a "collision" car?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2010, 09:34 PM
batty
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Would you buy a "collision" car?

Hi Rennlisters. An independent dealer in my area just posted a 2005 Carrera S with 41,000 miles for $40k. Well, with a price like that you know it has to have issues and well it does. It has a collision in its past and a new GT3 front end to prove it. THe dealer has a note from the supposedly Porsche certified body shop claiming that as far as frame damage "there are no worries". Another flag would be 4 owners, though the claim the first two are the same guy, who leased and then bought it out.

Apples to apples, of course it would be better off to buy a non-issued, CPO'd car but that would run me roughly $10,000 more and stretches my comfort zone. I'd be happy trading in my 2001 base boxster for a 06-07 Cayman S for high thirties, but this seemed a chance to get into a 997S for close to the same money. Am I a fool to even be considering it? I suppose if I have to ask I already should know the answer.

Seal grey, adaptive sport seats, Carrera S wheels, Sport Chrono w PSE!!, heated seats, high end bose, full leather...

A last comparison point, Danbury Porsche has a CPO'ed 2005 launch car, black loaded with options though no PSE for $49 with 35,000 miles. I prefer black to Seal Grey though if were Atlas that would be another story. Problem is that's on the other side of the country so there's an extra $1200 just to ship it.

Would you consider saving $10 grand and buying a car that's been in a collision? Thanks in advance everybody!
Old 01-24-2010, 09:45 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 229 Likes on 125 Posts

Actually, do a bit more shopping. I would avoid an 05 anyway for being the first year's production, but the price you cite is no bargain.

Try not to be stretching to get into a 997. Be patient. Wait 6 months if you have to. A local friend got a low-mileage S 2006 coupe for $50,000 a YEAR ago.
Old 01-24-2010, 11:53 PM
sbpsu354
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd pass on a car that's been in a collision. There's too many of these cars on the market, so I'd keep looking.
Old 01-25-2010, 12:19 AM
DJ23
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Actually, do a bit more shopping. I would avoid an 05 anyway for being the first year's production, but the price you cite is no bargain.

Try not to be stretching to get into a 997. Be patient. Wait 6 months if you have to. A local friend got a low-mileage S 2006 coupe for $50,000 a YEAR ago.
I would agree with Dan. Given the high miles, past history and several owners, let this one go by. If you're going to purchase a used 997S, make sure it has the cleanest history possible, is CPO'd and comes with a warranty. Prices are continuing to fall on early 997's. So be patient do your home work and you will find the best car, with lower miles for a better valued price. I happened to have a 2005 Cab with no issues. But Dan is correct, some of the early launch cars did have an issue or two. Go with a 2006 and above.

Jay

Last edited by DJ23; 01-26-2010 at 12:54 AM.
Old 01-25-2010, 12:27 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by batty
Hi Rennlisters. An independent dealer in my area just posted a 2005 Carrera S with 41,000 miles for $40k. Well, with a price like that you know it has to have issues and well it does. It has a collision in its past and a new GT3 front end to prove it. THe dealer has a note from the supposedly Porsche certified body shop claiming that as far as frame damage "there are no worries". Another flag would be 4 owners, though the claim the first two are the same guy, who leased and then bought it out.

Apples to apples, of course it would be better off to buy a non-issued, CPO'd car but that would run me roughly $10,000 more and stretches my comfort zone. I'd be happy trading in my 2001 base boxster for a 06-07 Cayman S for high thirties, but this seemed a chance to get into a 997S for close to the same money. Am I a fool to even be considering it? I suppose if I have to ask I already should know the answer.

Seal grey, adaptive sport seats, Carrera S wheels, Sport Chrono w PSE!!, heated seats, high end bose, full leather...

A last comparison point, Danbury Porsche has a CPO'ed 2005 launch car, black loaded with options though no PSE for $49 with 35,000 miles. I prefer black to Seal Grey though if were Atlas that would be another story. Problem is that's on the other side of the country so there's an extra $1200 just to ship it.

Would you consider saving $10 grand and buying a car that's been in a collision? Thanks in advance everybody!
Cars that have suffered major collsion damage are to be avoided. While some are fixed properly most are not. If you have access to resources that you can depend upon to tell the difference between one fixed right and one not fixed right then maybe even a car that has suffered major damage would be ok.

By "new GT3 front end" if you mean a new front tub grafted on run away. If the font bumper cover damaged and replaced with a GT3 bumper cover that's something else.

BTW, there are no Porsche certified body shops. Porsche created a Porsche Approved Collision Center program which set forth requirements for a shop to qualify. Many shops do qualify and are awaiting final certification from Porsche but for some reason my info is Porsche has not closed the loop. One body shop owner -- last July -- told me he has been waiting for a year for Porsche to schedule the training classes that are needed before certification granted.

If you want to expend the time and money have the car taken to a qualified shop for a thorough check out, a PPI. Could be the damage was superficial -- involving body panels and non-structural components -- and if the inspection can't find any evidence of shoddy repairs then the car was indeed fixed by a shop that knows its business. I'd have car put on alignment rack and have a knowledgable alignment tech check to see how much adjustment was necessary to bring the wheels into alignment. One requirement by Porsche is the car's alignment settings can't be used to make up for a poorly straightened car. A good Porsche service department tech can spot a car that has had its adjustment used up for this purpose.

Also, have the tech remove the front bumper cover and look underneath. Many repairs look good on the outside but the body shop techs are notorious for not dong well with the mechanicals. Porsche requires the mechanical work be done by a Porsche tech but many body shops do this in house to save money and increase profits.

A bit of a sloppy repair under the bumper cover may not be sufficient reason to reject the car but you need to adjust the price downward to pay to have the hardware put right.

But before you go this far, you need to thoroughly inspect the car yourself to see if you can find any signs of poor repair. If you do save your PPI money and move on.

OTOH, if you find the car well repaired and can get a good price...

But you have to work harder to determine what kind of damage the car suffered and then more work to know if the car's been repaired properly. Makes used car shopping more work. If you get a good car for a good price you'll work for the money you save.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 01-25-2010, 06:09 AM
At Law
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very good comments by the guys above.

I would be very cautious purchasing a Porsche that has had
significant accident history. Major body work/accident history
greatly reduces the value of these cars.

Plus, as mentioned, that is a higher mile car and is a 2005.
A few early model '05's had a few issues--like most early
production new models.

Snoop around a bit for a late model, pristine, late build '05 or '06
and spend a few more bucks. It will be well worth the investment
in the future. You will get more money for the car come resale
time when you find a nice, one or two owner, low mile, cherry
car. In addition, you will have a LOT fewer headaches while
you own the car.

It's just like women. Enjoy the search and don't settle.
Old 01-25-2010, 12:41 PM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 190 Likes on 107 Posts

Just......don't.....do.....it

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Old 01-25-2010, 02:05 PM
Ucube
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by sbpsu354
I'd pass on a car that's been in a collision. There's too many of these cars on the market, so I'd keep looking.
+1

With so many of these cars available, why settle for one with a storied past?
Old 01-25-2010, 03:31 PM
medtech
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, for what it's worth, mine has a history of minor "frame Damage". I know that all the repairs were done through the dealer and a top notch shop. The frame was straightened on a Porsche approved jig.

I thought the car would never be the same, but in actuality it is as good as new. I have put 26k miles on it since then and there are no alignment issues, no uneven tire wear, nothing.

I have 100% faith that a Pcar w/ repairs done properly is a great car. You just need all the specifics and a thorough PPI.

Unfortunately (for me) most folks are scared off by this, and even though I have an excellent car, it is difficult to sell it w/ that kind of history.
Old 01-25-2010, 03:35 PM
_Nathan
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The only way I would consider buying a car that had been in a collision is if I were able to inspect the damage before it had been repaired.
Old 01-25-2010, 05:03 PM
Palmbeacher
Banned

Originally Posted by batty
Hi Rennlisters. An independent dealer in my area just posted a 2005 Carrera S with 41,000 miles for $40k.

A last comparison point, Danbury Porsche has a CPO'ed 2005 launch car, black loaded with options though no PSE for $49 with 35,000 miles.
As a comparison point, I bought my '05 non-S (December '04 build, so not a "launch"), black/sand full leather, pwr seats, b-xenons, 19" S wheels + a few minor options, <21,000 miles, CPO for $46K...in February of '09. I know an S goes for more money, but I think both of those cars are overpriced.

BTW, one year into my CPO I've had zero issues with the car. It was twelve grand cheaper than a comparably-equipped '06 at the same dealer at the time I bought it, so in the far-fetched chance the engine blows and neither the CPO nor the aftermarket warranty I intend to purchase when it expires pays for it, the money I saved buying an '05 will go toward a bullet-proof Jake Raby motor and I'll drive it until the doors rot off.
Old 01-25-2010, 05:09 PM
PHX 911
Official Rennlist Snake Slayer
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I bought a car that had a "dirty" Carfax. I called the seller whom explained the type of accident it was in, and had full records of the repair. I called the body shop where the work was done, and it was a very high end shop. The accident was minor, and the shop said the front 1/4 didn't need replacing, but the owner insisted because he didn't want any bondo on the car.
Bottom line - do as thorough an investigation as you can, but I wouldn't say don't ever by a car that's been in an accident.
Old 01-25-2010, 08:38 PM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

batty, where are you located?
Old 01-25-2010, 08:55 PM
Deansdream
Three Wheelin'

Received 462 Likes on 208 Posts

I just had to renew my track insurance, and KBB figured my '06 S w/39k miles and no collision damage is only worth 41k! If that's anywhere near accurate, the price is way too high, putting aside the damage issues.
Old 01-25-2010, 09:51 PM
aero997c2s
Rennlist Member

Maybe check this one out.. It's been in a collison also, but it looks great!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsc...fCarsQ5fTrucks

Quick Reply: Would you buy a "collision" car?