Sponsored by:

DME scan - feedback appreciated

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 02:09 PM
Sandalwood
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DME scan - feedback appreciated

I posted yesterday about a CPO car I'm looking to purchase. I finally received the service history and CPO inforation including the DME scan:

Number of ignitions at speed> maximum speed, range 1= 190 (542.4 h)
Number of ignitions at speed> maximum speed, range 2= 35 (510.3 h)
Number of ignitions at speed> maximum speed, range 3= 5 (510.3 h)
Number of ignitions at speed> maximum speed, range 4= 1 (290.9 h)
Number of ignitions at speed> maximum speed, range 5= 1 (290.9 h)
Number of ignitions at speed> maximum speed, range 6= 0

Operating hours 592.6

This car has all of the options that I want and I think the price is decent (not fantastic) but I have plenty of time and patience to find the right car. I've seen worse DME scans but I would prefer to have no issues. And yes, this is a newly CPO'd car from the dealer.

Any thoughts on this information before I spend any more time or money?

Thank you.
Old 03-15-2010, 02:14 PM
ajayabb
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Ignitions in range 4 and 5 could be a problem for you down the road. The car may be fine, but warranty could be considered void by Porsche if problems were to arise. Keep looking and save yourself some potential headaches
Old 03-15-2010, 02:26 PM
swajames
Racer

Range 5 having one single ignition and Range 4 also having one single ignition point to a glitch in the DME - we've seen a few lately where the DME reports contain data that can't logically be correct and I think you may have one here where this is also the case.

I would not walk from this car purely based on this DME - I strikes me as a bogus reading. More to the point, even if it were genuine the R4 and R5 happened a while back and if the dealer will CPO the car it suggests they don't see it as an issue. What is their take on this?
Old 03-15-2010, 04:39 PM
Sandalwood
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by swajames
What is their take on this?
They basically said that it points to a missed shift some time ago so no worries. I've checked with my local dealer and the shop performing the PPI and both had the same reaction.

Thank you both for your help.
Old 03-15-2010, 04:43 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Keep a copy of the DME readout and make it part of the sale documentation. Have the dealer take a fresh DME reading on the date of the sale and make sure they date that document as proof that you bought the car with those readings.

As James said above, it appears that Porsche is considering the Range 4 and 5 values to be a glitch, otherwise they would not CPO the car.
Old 03-15-2010, 05:37 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 250 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by Sandalwood
They basically said that it points to a missed shift some time ago so no worries. I've checked with my local dealer and the shop performing the PPI and both had the same reaction.

Thank you both for your help.
What gota911 says. I'll second that and add get whatever dealer tells you in writing.

Dealer says no worries now but if something goes horribly wrong the dealer's memory may be faulty...

Remember: CPO means certified *probably* ok.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 03-15-2010, 05:44 PM
Sandalwood
Rennlist Member

Gota911 and Macster: Thank you for your input. I agree that the DME/CPO information should (and will) be part of the documentation. I have email traffic as well. I didn't mean to sound so flippant about the issue - it does concern me. I'm having a PPI performed this afternoon and they will run another DME scan for comparative purposes.

Quick Reply: DME scan - feedback appreciated