Sponsored by:

Need Advice on FUN Daily Driver

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 02:56 PM
cole328
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Need Advice on FUN Daily Driver

Gents - Starting to think ahead, as the lease on my '08 997S comes due in around 6 months. I now have two kids under the age of four, and while this is primarily my personal daily driver, I need to grow up and get something that can more realistically provide four seats. Wife drives an Infiniti Q56, and while that has ample room, I don't want to have to use that all weekend long (i.e., it would be nice to have the ability to use my car on the weekends as well with the family).

So, since many of you likely have multiple cars (since it appears that those of us that use the p-car as a daily driver are in the minority), I would appreciate some insight into what are recommended DD sedans (or coupes). I am considering everything from BMW 750, 550 (or m5 if I can wait until next April somewhow), to Audi s5, to Maserati Quattroporte. I heard about the Aston Martin Rapide, and it looks awesome, but $>150K is out of the range. I'd like to be no more than $115K or so to have a reasonable lease payment (my partners and I run our cars through our business, so we have to lease).

Appreciate any thoughts
Old 03-24-2010, 03:07 PM
swajames
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Panamera. Its looks are arguably polarizing but the consensus is in and it's generally accepted to be the best car in the segment, better than the 750, Quattroporte and the Rapide (which will be way more than $150k).

You can get a well optioned Panamera within your budget and it's the car I'd get out of all those you list.
Old 03-24-2010, 03:09 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 393 Likes on 269 Posts

Panamera S - the choice is a no-brainer.
Old 03-24-2010, 03:16 PM
CamsPorsche
Race Car

Received 417 Likes on 174 Posts

I'll third that and say Panamera S!!! Plus the local Porsche dealer may be willing to throw a deal seeing as you'll be leasing another P-car from them.

I love the Panamera...here in Dubai there are a ton running around and some guys have already lowered and added nice wheel packages. Only in Dubai!
Old 03-24-2010, 03:38 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,372 Likes on 794 Posts

E63 mb. More ***** than the Pannie, same style of tranny, better looks, etc.
Old 03-24-2010, 04:02 PM
cole328
Three Wheelin'

I considered the Panamera, but after a test drive, kinda took it off the short list (See a prior post from me on the results of the test drive) Great looking car, amazing interior, drove wonderfully, etc. however, horrible visibility into that "porthole" of a rear view window, and tiny side mirrors. It was so bad, it was almost unsettling to me. Maybe one gets used to it, but I'm not sure.

As for the E63, I also considered that, but was turned off by the fact that for almost $100K, it looks, for all intent and purpose, exactly like an E350 (sans the quad exhaust). For a $40K premium, they should snazz that body style out IMHO
Old 03-24-2010, 04:03 PM
soverystout
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

If you negotiate well, you can get a Panamera Turbo for a good bit under $150K

Local dealer has a Panamera Turbo loaded with a ridiculous options list and it stickers for $150K.
Old 03-24-2010, 04:15 PM
Leigh2
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

How about an Audi S5??
We just bought a new S4 and I don't like it as much as our 06 S4 with the V8 but still a gorgeous and fast car and you can still get a manual. Relatively cheap too.
Personally I don't like the Panamera and my guess is that they will depreciate faster than a condom which will be reflected in the lease rate IMO.
Old 03-24-2010, 04:20 PM
cole328
Three Wheelin'

At rpesent, the S5 (possibly the 'vert) is on the top of the list. I loved the way it drove (quattro was sweet), and I dig the paddle shifters
Old 03-24-2010, 04:24 PM
mickfluff
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Default options, hope these help...

Hunting is half the fun! Hope these help...was going to note the Porsche but looks like your passing for noted reasons... here goes!

m5 as you suggested is a great car and great option....hard to beat on many levels. The m6 also has back seats... not 4 door by any means but does fit kids in the back much better then a 997....the m6 is a high perf car for its size and just in general.

e63 Wagon.... wrong on so many levels that it's perfect... The whole fact that it's wagon is the appeal. I see you noted no e63 but to me the wagon is just such a different unique car.... being a wagon and all. Talk about a sleeper...

CLS63 has great lines and a beast for a 4dr sedan....the CL 63 AMG coupe is a great ride as well with ample back seats and both front and rear windows go down for full open air!

If you want performance, don't mind a bit of a smaller car and American OK why not a Cadi? CTSV runs to 60 in near sub 4 seconds stock....found the interior to be not as bad as I thought...

If you go 7 series go B7 Alpina has the 4.4 SC engine ... rare car and up high has some legs....and like the classic Alpina styling.

Not sure you want two SUVs in the household...but Cayenne GTS is a great truck... stylish, roomy, some power and handling for a larger vehicle...had one on a short auto cross like set up and it was amazing what that truck could do...g55 is also a beast and option as an interesting people mover...

Last edited by mickfluff; 03-24-2010 at 04:41 PM.
Old 03-24-2010, 04:24 PM
GHills
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

cts v, audi s8 (hard to find used but an option)
Old 03-24-2010, 04:29 PM
cole328
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by GHills
cts v, audi s8 (hard to find used but an option)
HA, I just got done bashing (good naturedly, of course) the Vette and Chevy /GM in general.....You think I'd seriously ever consider a Caddie?
Old 03-24-2010, 04:32 PM
cole328
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by mickfluff
Hunting is half the fun! Hope these help...was going to note the Porsche but looks like your passing for noted reasons... here goes!

m5 as you suggested is a great car and great option....hard to beat on many levels. The m6 also has back seats and not a 4 door by any means but does fit kids in the back much better then a 997....

e63 Wagon.... wrong on so many levels that it's perfect... The whole fact that it's wagon is the appeal. I see you noted no e63 but to me the wagon is just such a different unique car.... being a wagon and all. Talk about a sleeper...

CLS63 has great lines and a beast for a 4dr sedan....the CL 63 AMG coupe is a great ride as well with ample back seats and both front and rear windows go down for full open air!

If you want performance, don't mind a bit of a smaller car and American OK why not a Cadi? CTSV runs to 60 in near sub 4 seconds stock....found the interior to be not as bad as I thought...

If you go 7 series go B7 Alpina has the 4.4 SC engine ... rare car and up high has some legs....and like the classic Alpina styling.

Not sure you want two SUVs in the household...but Cayenne GTS is a great truck... stylish, roomy, some power and handling for a larger vehicle...had one on a short auto cross like set up and it was amazing what that truck could do...g55 is also a beast and option as an interesting people mover...

Interesting choices Mick...my dentist has the Alpina and swears by it seems like a damn hard car to find though, and I am concerned about lease rates. At this point, I'm intrigued by the M5 for sure (I had an E46 M3 and loved it), but the dang thing is likely over a year away from US arrival I also would like something that fits some adults in the back (I know, I'm picky), because when we go out on date night with other couples, would be nice to take MY car, and show it off, as opposed to the wife's truck) oh well, choices choices choices
Old 03-24-2010, 04:41 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 249 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by cole328
Gents - Starting to think ahead, as the lease on my '08 997S comes due in around 6 months. I now have two kids under the age of four, and while this is primarily my personal daily driver, I need to grow up and get something that can more realistically provide four seats. Wife drives an Infiniti Q56, and while that has ample room, I don't want to have to use that all weekend long (i.e., it would be nice to have the ability to use my car on the weekends as well with the family).

So, since many of you likely have multiple cars (since it appears that those of us that use the p-car as a daily driver are in the minority), I would appreciate some insight into what are recommended DD sedans (or coupes). I am considering everything from BMW 750, 550 (or m5 if I can wait until next April somewhow), to Audi s5, to Maserati Quattroporte. I heard about the Aston Martin Rapide, and it looks awesome, but $>150K is out of the range. I'd like to be no more than $115K or so to have a reasonable lease payment (my partners and I run our cars through our business, so we have to lease).

Appreciate any thoughts
The Maserati Q. Comes out real well in 3 or 4 big coupe (correction: make that sedan) shoot out in recent (this month or last month) issue of UK published Top Gear or Evo magazine or even Car. I'm at work and can't do a quick of the mag title.

The Vantage Rapide does well, but costs way more. The Panamera doesn't fare so well, especially in side bar that covers what it is like to spend lots of time in the rear seat.

The drivers didn't like the Panamera that much either. IIRC, the Panamera comes in a 3rd or 4th. Not a good showing for the Porsche.

Sincerely,

Macster.

Last edited by Macster; 03-24-2010 at 04:42 PM. Reason: Added correction.
Old 03-24-2010, 04:44 PM
mickfluff
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Default half the fun!

I have found time and time again half the fun is exploring the options! Enjoy your search....

Originally Posted by cole328
Interesting choices Mick...my dentist has the Alpina and swears by it seems like a damn hard car to find though, and I am concerned about lease rates. At this point, I'm intrigued by the M5 for sure (I had an E46 M3 and loved it), but the dang thing is likely over a year away from US arrival I also would like something that fits some adults in the back (I know, I'm picky), because when we go out on date night with other couples, would be nice to take MY car, and show it off, as opposed to the wife's truck) oh well, choices choices choices

Quick Reply: Need Advice on FUN Daily Driver