Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which CTEK battery charger? And installation issues.

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 07:59 PM
FI Flyer
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Which CTEK battery charger? And installation issues.

I need a replacement for my Porsche Dual-Mode Battery Charger. I made a note that it is really made by CTEK and I recall reading that it can be ordered on ebay but I did not make a note of the model number of the unit. Can someone help?

I live in New York and have to park in a garage with attendants (what would be called valet parking in the rest of America.) Fortunately -- and possibly because I am generous at Christmas -- they park my car near one of the few electric outlets and have let me put a battery charger fastened to one of the overhead pipes with the wire to my car lighter dangling down. Alas, a new employee did not get the message and drove off with the plug still in the car. Something had to give and the wire to the car pulled out of the charger unit. So it is time of a new charger.

I had the Porsche Dual-Mode Battery Charger. Should I get the same thing or can I save some money by getting the same unit without the Porsche label?

Can someone think of a way to prevent a repetition of this unfortunate situation? Ideally, I would like something like the magnetic plug on the side of my Apple laptop that pops free when the cord is stressed as when someone trips on the cord.
Old 03-26-2010, 08:21 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by FI Flyer
I need a replacement for my Porsche Dual-Mode Battery Charger. I made a note that it is really made by CTEK and I recall reading that it can be ordered on ebay but I did not make a note of the model number of the unit. Can someone help?

I live in New York and have to park in a garage with attendants (what would be called valet parking in the rest of America.) Fortunately -- and possibly because I am generous at Christmas -- they park my car near one of the few electric outlets and have let me put a battery charger fastened to one of the overhead pipes with the wire to my car lighter dangling down. Alas, a new employee did not get the message and drove off with the plug still in the car. Something had to give and the wire to the car pulled out of the charger unit. So it is time of a new charger.

I had the Porsche Dual-Mode Battery Charger. Should I get the same thing or can I save some money by getting the same unit without the Porsche label?

Can someone think of a way to prevent a repetition of this unfortunate situation? Ideally, I would like something like the magnetic plug on the side of my Apple laptop that pops free when the cord is stressed as when someone trips on the cord.
I have both the CTEK model 3300 and the 7002. The 3300 is similar in design to the Porsche charger at about 1/2 the price (+/- $55 on Amazon) while the 7002 offers more features (supply mode, both float and pulse maintenance charging, higher capacity) for about $110. Both models come with a storage bag and 2 fused connectors; one has terminal clamps and the other has eyelets that can be "permanently" attached to the battery. There is no cigarette lighter connecter included but one is available.

One advantage of the direct battery connection is that if you forget and pull away with charger connected, the quick connect plug just pops apart without the cable getting pinched in the door or window or having a plug yanked out of a lighter socket. (Ask me how I know). I leave my hood ajar so as not to pinch the supply cord, but I have a private garage. Don't know how that would work out in your valet parking situation.

In any event, I highly recommend either model.

Model 7002http://www.amazon.com/CTEK-Multi-700...9645749&sr=8-1

Model 3300http://www.amazon.com/CTEK-Multi-Sma...9645866&sr=1-1

Cig lighter adaptorhttp://www.amazon.com/CTEK-56-263-Co...=pd_sim_auto_1
Old 03-26-2010, 10:18 PM
BostonDuce
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Another vote for the CTEK 7002. I just used it to recondition a large battery that was refusing to take a charge from my other chargers.

I have also have the Ctek Porsche model and Deltran Battery Tender, but the 7002 is much more versitile.

You can also use it as a power source to keep memory settings should you disconnect your battery.

It does have a "quick connect" plug from the main lead to the battery connectors (either alligator, direct terminal, or optional cigarette lighter), but mine 'click' lock into place. Don't know how long they would last if forced apart.

Anchor an extension cord to your overhead pipe, secure the power cord to your battery charger so that just the plug extends out of the truck, and file/lube the extension cord/battery charger power cord plug until it slips apart easily-instant breakaway without any damage.

BD
Old 03-26-2010, 10:48 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by BostonDuce
It does have a "quick connect" plug from the main lead to the battery connectors (either alligator, direct terminal, or optional cigarette lighter), but mine 'click' lock into place. Don't know how long they would last if forced apart.

BD
I agree, it's not something you would want to have happen on a regular basis. But despite the click lock feature, I can attest that the connector will come apart at least once, without damage, in a scenario where you back out of the garage to wash the car, but forget to disconnect the plug.
Old 03-26-2010, 11:14 PM
FI Flyer
Racer

The realities of my garage require that the charger plug into the cigarette lighter in the center console. I am not the person who parks the car (which may have to be moved occasionally to permit another car to be moved.) I am very lucky to be able to have my car parked in a semi-fixed location near an electrical plug. But bad things happen and having an attendant forget to unplug the wire is one of them it seems.

With all of the above in mind, I would like to do what I can to mitigate the damage if the car is moved with the plug in the lighter socket.
Old 03-27-2010, 12:37 AM
tejoe
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FI Flyer
The realities of my garage require that the charger

With all of the above in mind, I would like to do what I can to mitigate the damage if the car is moved with the plug in the lighter socket.
If nothing else cut the supply line from the charger 4-5 feet from the lighter insert and install a couple of loose fitting 12V male/female connectors that will be the weak point in the line.
Old 03-28-2010, 02:54 PM
Paul S.
Pro

Received 70 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
I agree, it's not something you would want to have happen on a regular basis. But despite the click lock feature, I can attest that the connector will come apart at least once, without damage, in a scenario where you back out of the garage to wash the car, but forget to disconnect the plug.
I don't mean an offense, but I have to wonder what y'all (I live in Texas now but am a "damn Yankee") are doing or not doing that taking off with the battery maintainer still plugged in is a problem. My Club Coupe has been on a Porsche Battery Maintainer for its entire life, which is going on 4 1/2 years. Never once have I taken off with the maintainer still hooked up. Of course, mine is connected to the cigarette lighter and runs out the driver's door. Perhaps you should try it that way, as I don't know how you would ever forget, if the cord is crossing the driver's footwell and going out the driver's door.

Seems a whole lot easier than going straight to the battery, leaving the hood partially unlatched, running an over head extension cord, ect...

You're not going to harm the door seals by closing on the battery maintainer cord, if that's the reason why you're avoiding the cigarette lighter hook up.

Just a thought.
Old 03-28-2010, 05:00 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul S.
I don't mean an offense, but I have to wonder what y'all (I live in Texas now but am a "damn Yankee") are doing or not doing that taking off with the battery maintainer still plugged in is a problem. My Club Coupe has been on a Porsche Battery Maintainer for its entire life, which is going on 4 1/2 years. Never once have I taken off with the maintainer still hooked up. Of course, mine is connected to the cigarette lighter and runs out the driver's door. Perhaps you should try it that way, as I don't know how you would ever forget, if the cord is crossing the driver's footwell and going out the driver's door.

Seems a whole lot easier than going straight to the battery, leaving the hood partially unlatched, running an over head extension cord, ect...

You're not going to harm the door seals by closing on the battery maintainer cord, if that's the reason why you're avoiding the cigarette lighter hook up.

Just a thought.
OK, that was really funny.

Could not agree more.
Old 03-28-2010, 07:49 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Just a thought.

Well, the CTEK 7002, which is much more versatile and with discount, cheaper than the lesser CTEK model with the Porsche logo on it, came with a quick connect cable for the battery and not a cigarette lighter plug, although I could have gotten one if I wanted. My hood is unlatched anyway since I keep my cover on the car in the garage and put it in the trunk when I leave, and I don't like to constantly latch and unlatch the hood. It's actually convenient to open the hood, store the cover, and disconnect the charger, more so than reaching into the car or having to close the door on the charger cord. Also, I don't need an overhead extension cord; I have an outlet right next to my car

I pulled out of the garage with the charger connected once; I wouldn't classify that as a problem like the OP was having with his valet parking. Thanks for the thought, but I think I've got this handled. And no offense taken; I enjoyed that folksy Texas "y'all" thing.
Old 03-28-2010, 11:16 PM
FI Flyer
Racer

I don't mean an offense, but I have to wonder what y'all (I live in Texas now but am a "damn Yankee") are doing or not doing that taking off with the battery maintainer still plugged in is a problem.
Alas, the price that I pay for living in Manhattan is that I must turn my car over to the attendants in my garage to park (and occasionally move.) It is dark in the garage and -- I don't know how -- they have managed to drive with the plug still in the center console lighter far enough to pull the wire out of the charger. I like to think that I would do better if it were just me in a private garage but that is not my reality. So the issue is how best to cope with the reality of my situation.

Quick Reply: Which CTEK battery charger? And installation issues.