Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loud "clunk" when first launched this a.m.

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 04:43 PM
aka_Sven
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loud "clunk" when first launched this a.m.

Yesterday, I washed the beast and put it away in the garage a little bit wet - having used a chamois on the paint until dry, but I didn't dry the wheels or anywhere else, e.g., by driving it dry. This morning, when I released the clutch to exit my garage I heard and felt a clunk, like something giving way. It only happened that once. My first thought was the brake pads rusted to the rotors over night. But I drive this thing in the rain and it has never happened before, and it was less than 24 hours since I washed it. I would be grateful for any thoughts or sharing of similar experiences.
Old 04-26-2010, 04:48 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 229 Likes on 125 Posts

That was exactly the problem.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-turb...s-a-doozy.html

Do not put these things away wet. The longer the iron rotors sit they literally rust up and then you are essentially loading up the suspension to break it free. As I mentioned in my 997TT posting, I have never experienced this with PCCBs, but have with my old VW Vanagon when put away wet and then not driven for a few days.

Either drive them a bit or get serious with an air compressor in there.
Old 04-26-2010, 04:49 PM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

On two ocaasions my car crunched or clunked when backing out of my garage. Both times it was not after washing but simply cold for the drive the day before. It semed to come from the front left corner of the car. Not sure if it was the tire, brakes, suspension or steering.
Old 04-26-2010, 04:57 PM
aka_Sven
Advanced

Thanks! This forum is great, always teaching me something. Dan, that thread was very helpful and now I understand why this happened, and also why it hasn't happened when I've driven in the rain. In that case, I will have been using the brakes and they (and the tires) will be hot enough to dissipate any water. Next time I'll zoom around before putting it away.
Old 04-26-2010, 05:09 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by aka_Sven
Thanks! This forum is great, always teaching me something. Dan, that thread was very helpful and now I understand why this happened, and also why it hasn't happened when I've driven in the rain. In that case, I will have been using the brakes and they (and the tires) will be hot enough to dissipate any water. Next time I'll zoom around before putting it away.
Either that ^ or dry the rotors with an electric leaf blower.
Old 04-26-2010, 10:37 PM
pjl
Intermediate

My car did the same thing, but the circumstances were different. I was wading through stop-and-go traffic on an incline (downtown driving situation) after a long drive (~1 hour). Sometimes when I would release the brake pedal to engage the clutch, it felt like it wouldn't catch and then I heard/felt the clunk as though the brakes released the car/gave way.

This is a new car with 950 miles. I can't say for sure if it was the same phenomenon as the OP, but it felt like the brakes were clamping and wouldn't release. Don't know if anyone else has experienced this?
Old 04-27-2010, 12:08 PM
dallison28
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

same thing happens to me. it sounds a little different from the other cars when i do this, but it's normal.
Old 04-27-2010, 12:19 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by pjl
My car did the same thing, but the circumstances were different. I was wading through stop-and-go traffic on an incline (downtown driving situation) after a long drive (~1 hour). Sometimes when I would release the brake pedal to engage the clutch, it felt like it wouldn't catch and then I heard/felt the clunk as though the brakes released the car/gave way.

This is a new car with 950 miles. I can't say for sure if it was the same phenomenon as the OP, but it felt like the brakes were clamping and wouldn't release. Don't know if anyone else has experienced this?
A new car? PDK? Perhaps this is the hill-holding feature?

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 04-27-2010, 10:43 PM
pjl
Intermediate

Yeah, figured it out. I don't have PDK, but it was was the Drive-Off Assistant at work.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...assistant.html

Quick Reply: Loud "clunk" when first launched this a.m.