Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

911 badge and heated seats, that's it.
Old 04-30-2010, 11:35 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 126 Posts

This is a very useful thread for soon to be new 997 owners. We had several threads like this about 4 years ago when the 997 was new and when nearly everyone on Rennlist 997 was a "waiter." We would all post our options lists and discuss the pros and cons of the various options. I suspect that I spent an additional $15K or so thanks to the inputs of the 997 Forum membership.

Things that are useful to know are what options should be ordered up front from Porsche, versus which can be retrofitted quite easily later.

Also, many of the early members posted photos of the various options as equipped in their rides. This finally put a look to what we were trying to build. Sadly, the dealerships and their sales staffs are simply incapable of staying abreast of the 997 options. There are just too many. When I ordered my car in August 2005 (and again as late as Feb/Mar 06) for a Jun 06 delivery in Europe there were 65 pages of options for the 997 cars. Today that list is even longer!

Obviously, everyone has different needs or wants, as well as a different environment in which they will be operating their vehicle. This forum gives everyone the opportunity to judge the options up front and often even see them before they order. Many of us had to be the guinea pigs for certain options.

Today, I am soon going to reach my 4th year of 997 ownership. I presently have just a hair over 46,000 miles on my 06 car. I'm very thankful to the 997 Forum of the Rennlist for helping me to sort out the wheat from the chaff on these cars, while helping Porsche AG make the 997 the most popular "911" in the history of that model.

My list:

997 S Cabriolet 6-speed
98 Non-Metallic Paint to Sample (3AS Blue Turquoise) Türkis Blau
06 Natural Leather Brown
CDZ Gear Lever Trim Leather
CUC Painted Model Desig Rear Lid
CZD Interior Light Cover Leather
M6H Brown Floor Mats
P01L Adaptive Sports Sts Lthr Int
V9 Black Top
XCZ Sport Shifter
XLF Sport Exhaust System
XMP Lthr Sun Visors Lighted Mirror
XMZ Rear Center Console - Leather
XRR 19" Carrera Sport wheel
XSB Sport Seat Backs in Leather
XTV Door Finishers Lthr
267 Self Dimming Mirrors
342 Heated Front Seats
451 Makassar Str Whl Multifctn
446 Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
450 Ceramic Composite Brakes-PCCB
482 TPMS
498 Delete Model Designation
509 Fire Extinguisher
550 Hard Top
640 Sport Chrono Package Plus
672 Extended Nav Module
680 Bose High End Sound Package
692 Remote CD Changer
801 Makassar Package
TD5 Tourist Delivery

P.S. There will soon be a new MY10 Blue Turquoise Cabriolet (with natural brown interior) but on the East Coast this time. That happened because of the forum--enhanced communications!
Old 05-01-2010, 12:42 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

On the brake issue, I agree, that you may have something wrong. I have had iron on the TT, and PCCBs
on both GT3s and now iron on the PDK. These brakes are brilliant. Between the PDK and the last
GT3 I had an 09 AMG and Mercedes brakes are no where near the quality of even the 97 TTs big reds.
These new Irons on the PDK are brilliant. I have had all these brakes on the track and I cant get the irons to fade as you may hear compared to the PCCBs. On the 996 GT3 I thought the ABS came in too early.
But the last two 911s are/were.

As far as changes I miss the aero package. I would also like to try a cobalt blue/ the stone grey interior I have now. The least hard interior to take care of.
Full leather wouldnt be bad. IF I got the cobalt I would
go with PCCBs
Old 05-01-2010, 02:22 AM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 799 Likes on 548 Posts

Originally Posted by robbonds
+1
i added pse and tint the same week i bought it..also ordered new rims..lovein it..i enjoy washing her..good quality time with the car...cooling seats is my number 1 small option...its a must for a cab livin in florida
We have similar tastes. In addition to PSE, I'd consider rims. I do like the 997.2S rims but wouldnt say no to a nice set of HRE's. Lets see how the year plays out .. I really like your cab - thats a keeper.
Old 05-01-2010, 01:41 PM
Wills
Advanced

White
Black wheels
Bucket seats
Sport PASM
Sport chrono
Alcantara lid/steering wheel/gear shift

Infact I'm going spec it now and see how much!
Old 05-01-2010, 03:25 PM
cbzzoom

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm surprised how many people are saying PSE. IMO that's easy to add after the fact and there are tons of aftermarket exhausts to choose from too.
Old 05-01-2010, 03:44 PM
Handoogies
Banned

Pccb and tire pressure monitor
Old 05-01-2010, 03:53 PM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,010 Likes on 718 Posts

Originally Posted by cbzzoom
I'm surprised how many people are saying PSE. IMO that's easy to add after the fact and there are tons of aftermarket exhausts to choose from too.
Isn't PSE next to $4K to add once the car has been built? Whatever it is I always wondered too about the fixation on PSE as if it's the only exhaust option. I've learned from other threads now that it IS the only option for a lot of guys. Anything aftermarket is a non-starter for them. If it's not a P-part it doesn't get near their car.

Other than that I would never order the rear wiper. I've never used it and I hate the looks of it. Finally removed it a month ago.
Old 05-02-2010, 06:08 PM
Bruce R
Rennlist Member

Received 463 Likes on 183 Posts

As delivered new, I bought used:

Non-Metallic Paint to Sample
Black Mats – Porsche lettering
Bi-Xenon Headlamp Package
Leather Sport Seats
Self-Dimming Mirrors
Heated Front Seats
19" Carrera Classic Wheel
PASM
TPMS
Delete Model Designation
Fire Extinguisher
Sport Chrono Package Plus
Bose High End Sound Package

EXCLUSIVE OPTIONS
Headlight Cleaner Cover Exterior Color
Painted Model Designation Rear Lid
Instrument Dials Carrara White
Rear Center Console – Carbon
Carbon Steering Wheel Multi-function
Carbon Package

I'm going to have my seat backs painted and I've already "Gundo'd" the exhaust, which seems to rev better and sounds infinitely better than stock. I've added iPod and BT compatibility, which was not available in 20006.

I think the SC is a waste and would have loved full leather.
PASM was the biggest surprise, I love it.
I get a lot of compliments on the "Painted Model Designation Rear Lid" - weird I thought?
Attached Images  
Old 05-02-2010, 06:50 PM
kauai_diver
Straight to Video
Rennlist Member

PCCB - if I could have afforded it at the time. Was difficult rationalizing 8 grand for brakes.
SAT radio - but only if they had both Sirius and XM support.
Old 05-02-2010, 08:54 PM
jakes dad
Racer

Originally Posted by mdrums
Driven many hiperf cars and Porsche brakes are at the top. That post really baffles me.

I agree.... They work better than any car I ever owned... By a country mile
Old 05-02-2010, 10:22 PM
jakes dad
Racer

Car would be black (no metallic) with natural brown leather interior........
Old 05-03-2010, 02:03 AM
w00tPORSCHE
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 60 Posts

Thank you Rennlist. Got the car on the lot exactly the way I wanted. Just will add the PDK shifter console in leather and I am done. Would have been nice to have a heated steering wheel but I use goatskin driving gloves when it is cold, so not really an issue. Natural leather is just unbelievable and worth the premium price if one's car is a keeper IMO.
Old 05-03-2010, 05:35 AM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Nugget
If you prefer brakes with a strong initial "bite" the Porsche iron brakes can be unsettling. You do have to really mean it if you want to stop. The PCCBs have a sharp initial bite that creates the false impression that they're braking harder and stronger. At slow, parking lot speeds the difference is dramatic. At real car speeds it's not noticeable.

I really like the nuanced feel and progressive pedal of the iron brakes, though. They perform admirably on the street and on the track even with stock pads. I don't relate at all to the complaints that they lack feel -- that hasn't been my experience at all.
Honestly, that's not an objection that would have occurred to me, and I share your preference, Nugget. I gladly forswore that "initial bite" when I gave up drum brakes for discs back in 1965. I suppose I can see how people with fewer memories of cold drums locking up might enjoy it.

On the broader question of our brakes being adequate without jumping for the ceramics, this is one of those rare cases where I will turn to Car and Driver to summarize my own view:

CD, April 2010: [...] Our GT3 stopped from 70 mph in 145 feet. Most cars couldn’t match that if they hit a parked dump truck first.
Fair enough.

Gary

Last edited by simsgw; 05-03-2010 at 09:13 PM. Reason: fix typo.
Old 05-11-2010, 01:49 PM
996FourEss
Instructor

Sports car brakes vs luxo car brakes. Whenever I have any first time driver in the car I always tell them they have to watch the brakes because if they are trying to stop by pushing it as hard as what they are used to they will feel like the car is not stopping. All about having progressive barakes that are not hypo overservoed for the initial bite.

Quick Reply: What would you change?