Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Death of the Sports Car? - MSN article today

Almost interesting article today on MSN Autos today:

http://editorial.autos.msn.com/artic...mentid=1144616
Old 06-05-2010, 12:57 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 393 Likes on 269 Posts

It is another puff piece with trivial time/recession-related reasoning. What will kill the sports car is the heavy hand of the government regulatory agencies.
Old 06-05-2010, 01:05 PM
BobbyB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

interesting
Old 06-05-2010, 01:16 PM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

Many sporty cars died in the 1990s. It was a tough time and which clearly led Porsche to start looking to get into SUVs..... for survival. Porsche is much better off during such times under the VW umbrella. If you look at the numbers the Porsche sports cars sales are don and it is the new 4 door sedan that bumpud up the sales. Porsche knows it needs to bring in a lower cost model ( than the Boxster). My guess is that the 911 will move up market and get really expensive while the Boxster and new modle bring the brand to more people. Hopefully they can give up the sedans and SUVs and leave that stuff to VW and Audi.
Old 06-05-2010, 01:52 PM
Alstoy
Burning Brakes

I agree with Adias that the article is not that great. Remember when gas prices started going up and everyone sold their SUVs? I just saw a Lambo that the owner sold for a Jeep because he felt guilty. I wish I could find a really guilty GT3 owner. People are just as ficle selling their cars as they are buying them.
Old 06-05-2010, 02:55 PM
HotLap
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for posting...common sense that higher end luxury items take a hit during recessionary times...I don't really buy that high end sports cars are going away though. On the contrary, seems manufacturers are adding more and more hp/better handling to their entry level "sporty" autos which the public seems to be accepting which in turn is going to keep the pressure on the higher end folks to keep improving, adding hp, etc. - which is going to maintain interest and so on. I was having my truck serviced at my LFD and they had just gotten in thier 1st 2011 Mustang GT "5.0". Conservatively rated at 412hp and rated 0-60 at 4.1 seconds with Brembo brakes/track package available...only a Mustang - but lot's of performace bang for the buck! Seems like the sky's the limit these days
Old 06-05-2010, 03:56 PM
Gj325
Pro

Originally Posted by Alstoy
I agree with Adias that the article is not that great. Remember when gas prices started going up and everyone sold their SUVs? I just saw a Lambo that the owner sold for a Jeep because he felt guilty. I wish I could find a really guilty GT3 owner. People are just as ficle selling their cars as they are buying them.
People who sell something because the fell guilty. Boo Hoo cry me a river. I dont understand feeling guilty for anything unless it is against the law or immoral. This is a media driven feeling being pushed by Libs.

They (Libs) have a larger carbon foot print than most of us. Hey I am all for anyone wanting to keep planet cleanerYou want to save energy turn the AC up heat down use energy saving light bulbs water saving devices etc. Buy a better gas milage car for your DD if thats what you want to do. Never feel guilty because you worked hard or were lucky in life. No matter how rich good looking you are you will die. You only here for a short time on this earth. You will not do anything to mother earth that she cant fix. Even the oil spill will one day be history it may take time but the earth will adapt. WE wont we will die. So drive your Porsche, Lambo Hummer what ever you want. Sports Cars will never die off they may sell less. Someone will still make them. If you think I am wrong Put the top down on a 911 Cab or any type sports car take a drive thru town see how many people stare, point, smile, wave.. They all want one if they had the means they would have one. Now maybe someone in a smart car might give you a ugly look. But tell the truth how many times you seen one of those matchboxes did you say to yourself damn I want one of those or did you just Laugh?
Old 06-05-2010, 04:50 PM
tpenta
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

The financials will change. The need for speed will never go away. We may have a few more years of depression and perhaps some more consolidation in the industry. But I am pretty sure that 30 years from now, there will still be fast means of transportation around...

If this situation means lower prices all around, I don't think it's a bad thing. For example, why should a Cayman be worth $60k?

-T
Old 06-05-2010, 05:43 PM
jpcourt
Burning Brakes

all I can say is I am doing my part to keep sales up
Old 06-05-2010, 06:06 PM
niner niner seven
Racer

I am uncertain. the 997 has been the best selling 911 ever - right through the worst recession of its 50 year life span.
Old 06-05-2010, 06:39 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 126 Posts

Total crap. The last car to be on the roads decades and decades from now--will be a sports car! The other boring vehicles will be long gone on some dust heap as we propel ourselves through mag-levs and other seriously high tech devices. For the sure joy of wind in your face driving--the sports car will be around when fuel is $100 a gallon and only the rich will be driving their weekend "oil machines."
Old 06-05-2010, 09:34 PM
nyca
Drifting

Received 821 Likes on 460 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
It is another puff piece with trivial time/recession-related reasoning. What will kill the sports car is the heavy hand of the government regulatory agencies.
Yup.

And that's coming, Porsche may be out of the US market in 2016 unless they get a waiver to join the VW CAFE fleet.
Old 06-05-2010, 10:00 PM
Alstoy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Gj325
If you think I am wrong Put the top down on a 911 Cab or any type sports car take a drive thru town see how many people stare, point, smile, wave..
Funny you say that. I was driving my kid to school the other morning. As we were driving through the neighbourhood there were the usual kids waiting for the bus. I saw a group of boys, probably about 10-12 years old. I told my kid to keep an eye on them, because I used to stare at Porsches when I was that age. As we passed by the kids were all staring, but one had this huge grin and both thumbs up. I knew this was the future Porsche owner in the crowd. That's why I drive the car-I'm helping to keep the dream alive.

Cheers
Old 06-06-2010, 01:28 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 126 Posts

If you think I am wrong Put the top down on a 911 Cab or any type sports car take a drive thru town see how many people stare, point, smile, wave.

Thankfully I can still do that and in this town no one notices.
Old 06-06-2010, 02:34 AM
Gj325
Pro

Originally Posted by Edgy01
If you think I am wrong Put the top down on a 911 Cab or any type sports car take a drive thru town see how many people stare, point, smile, wave.

Thankfully I can still do that and in this town no one notices.
True but you live in Cab. Heaven but I don't see how anyone would not notice you in your car. That color should be a chiropractors dream. It should turn heads clean out of socket. I know mine would take turn if I ever saw you drive down I 40 in TN.

Quick Reply: Death of the Sports Car? - MSN article today