Sponsored by:

What don't you like about your 997?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 09:00 PM
_Nathan
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Alfaguy2
...The one thing I think I would change if I could would be the white dials on the dash. To me they would look better with a black background. I have seen a few 997's with black dials and immediately I just went 'wow that's nice'...
I don't like white instrument dials either, that's why I got the optional black instrument dials (no charge option).

Originally Posted by Ucube
The left bolster, specifically. It doesn't seem to help no matter how carefully and gently I get in/out.
When getting into the car I always grab the door sill with my left hand and lift myself into the seat so I don't slide over the left bolster. Seems to be working because after 2 years they still look like new. I also am careful to not drive with my wallet in my back pocket as that left a permanent dent in the drivers seat of my previous car.
Old 06-16-2010, 09:08 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ucube
The left bolster, specifically. It doesn't seem to help no matter how carefully and gently I get in/out.
Put your left hand on the bolster first and then back your rear into the seat. You should lower your butt into the seat in such a way as to not touch and slide across the back of your left hand with your pants pocket. Sounds awkward but it isn't and it does prevent that sort of wear. Try it.
Old 06-16-2010, 09:10 PM
rpalomo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

negatives- too heavy, looks like a tuttle without a fixed wing and lip, too many of them out there, leather seats fade and look even while so young, hate the PCM (pioneer is better), manual transmission feels sticky and long, stinky smell all the time (like tires), expensive but not sure why (im being dumb cuz i kind of know why)

positives- even if it feels heavy, its pretty quick, great performance ( although a lot of new cars for way cheaper can compete), love the purr of the engine especially when i gun it, people always give the car compliments, comfortable for everday
Old 06-16-2010, 09:11 PM
beachview
Instructor

+1000 on body creak/groan

Does anyone have an explanation for this? I thought it was just me...but I usually get it when entering exiting driveways
Old 06-16-2010, 09:32 PM
FlyingFinn911
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts

I might be the only one but I dont think the standard brakes on the S have great feel. The pedal is a little soft even after bleeding. Maybe Im just used to a harder/race car brakes. Also, the creak from the back window which needs silicon spray every month or so drives me nuts.

Overall, its a great car though that puts a smile on my face everyday when I drive it.
Old 06-16-2010, 09:50 PM
fjpdds
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 14 Posts

$100K plus car and I have to travel with a quart of oil. It's a bit embarrassing when, say you are at a resort and passersby see you adding oil to your "fancy car". I have never owned a new vehicle that required that.
Old 06-16-2010, 10:01 PM
caddyshed
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The all too common squeak/rattle of the instrument pod. This should be an easy fix at the factory.
Old 06-16-2010, 10:14 PM
Pincomar
Advanced

This is my 4th car, so I recognise that I may be an addict.

Selecting Sport every trip is ridiculous (a PDK mandatory action). Why can't I program this?
In humid conditions, I hate the fog at the bottom of the windscreen (997.1 and 997.2) both do/did this.
Noise from Pirelli tyres (fixed in the last few weeks by moving to wonderful Michelin PS2s)
Speed limits?

Nothing else. Damned fine car that I drive every single day.

Mark.
Old 06-16-2010, 10:29 PM
Alstoy
Burning Brakes

Sunroof
Wart
Looks a lot faster than it really is
Could stand to go on a diet
And, yes the interior is cheap
Old 06-16-2010, 10:56 PM
Frank A.
Rennlist Member

1. Woefully outdated PCM/NAV
2. No bluetooth capability without a separate add-on unit
3. No Ipod/Iphone music integration without a separate add-on unit

Really, other than the weakness of these electronics, I love driving the car EVERY single day.

Regards,
Frank A.
Old 06-16-2010, 11:14 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

wart (because it's useless to me and on the dash)
@#$% wing
too many ugly switches on PCM (997.1)
no spare!
A little to busy and design-y in the interior (they used to be a lot more simple and clean)
Old 06-17-2010, 01:19 AM
At Law
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by _Nathan
I also am careful to not drive with my wallet in my back pocket as that left a permanent dent in the drivers seat of my previous car.
And I thought I was the only one who did this.
Old 06-17-2010, 01:23 AM
docfink
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Really no complaints. I don't think the PCM from the 997.1 cars is as bad as most are saying. The nav is quick and direct, even if not as modern as my wife's less intuitive but fancier nave in her '09 Highlander Hybrid.

I always read that, like most Mercedes cars, Porsches felt like they were made from a "block of steel". I don't think the body/chassis is as stiff as expected, and I drive the coupe. I swear my GTI's body structure seems more sound, with less frequency noise in the body over bumps,etc. Is this perception real?
Old 06-17-2010, 01:59 AM
asu_lee
Advanced

Originally Posted by Kuhan
Not having a lit up ring around the key hole - how the hell do you find that thing in the dark?
Am I the only one who finds this funny?
-Lee
Old 06-17-2010, 02:03 AM
cbzzoom

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by docfink
I always read that, like most Mercedes cars, Porsches felt like they were made from a "block of steel". I don't think the body/chassis is as stiff as expected, and I drive the coupe. I swear my GTI's body structure seems more sound, with less frequency noise in the body over bumps,etc. Is this perception real?
The GTI is hard to beat, it's a great solid car. I think the Porsche chassis is actually excellent, but all the cheapo plastic interior bits attached to it do squeak and groan and that creates a feeling of cheap flimsiness.

Quick Reply: What don't you like about your 997?