Sponsored by:

coolant low really low!!! burning?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 11:56 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 126 Posts

80% of the time it is the cap, alone, causing the problems. I learned on Rennlist years ago about the problems with these silly caps, and for several years the dealership simply blew it off, never bothering to replace the cap. They finally did after much prodding--and it solved the problem of always having a low level on the coolant.
Old 07-09-2010, 12:52 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 249 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by utkinpol
I only went to NH track for DE so far - are DE rules all the same on all tracks or do some tracks require complete flash of coolant off to be replaced with water? I know club racing rules require it - what about DEs?
I don't do DE's or track my car so I can't answer with any authority.

Those that do the above on a regular basis like just distilled water and water wetter cause if a coolant leak develops it is not as dangerous with just water/water wetter as it is with anti-freeze.

There was a post or two on the GT2/GT3 sections about guys losing the car when a coolant line fitting broke and dumped coolant on the car's tire or in one case dumped coolant on the track and a following car hit the stuff and the driver lost control and the accident killed a ride along instructor.

But you'll have to check with the most restrictive track you visit and see what's required and go with that.

I don't know how well water and water wetter protects the engine cooling system aganst freezing so you'll have to consider if you drive year 'round to after track season ends switching back to anti-freeze/water. Also, I'm not sure how well water and water wetter is for the pump seals.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 07-15-2010, 05:19 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

On my 09 I had a very slight coolant leak that I only noticed :1) because the level went down slowly and 2) when changing the oil, I noticed a few drops of coolant collected on the bottom of the engine near the point of 'dripping off'.

The problem in my case was a gasket in/around the water pump that was faulty. That fix required the dealer to pull a lot of stuff off to get to the and replace that $1 part.
Old 07-23-2010, 06:44 PM
akim47
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just ran into the same issue today. I was driving to work, and all of a sudden the low coolant warning light went off (to my surprise). I just had the car topped off 3K miles ago when I was in for an oil change. I'm going to check the top after work to see if there is any residue/deposits. Hopefully this will be the culprit. The first thought that ran though my mind was head gasket which would be a nightmare. I hope this is not the case, because overall the car runs strong. Unfortunately, my car is just out of warranty with 32K miles and all expenses will be borne by me.
Old 07-24-2010, 04:00 PM
GullwingSL
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is the Porsche OEM coolant meant to be diluted, or is it to be used straight out of the container?
Old 07-25-2010, 02:00 AM
Jay Jones
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GullwingSL
Is the Porsche OEM coolant meant to be diluted, or is it to be used straight out of the container?
Don't pour it straight from the container! Please read your through your manual for precise directions. It should be 50/50. I used distilled water, others go a different direction. If you do a search, you will come up with plenty of threads discussing the topic.

Jay

Quick Reply: coolant low really low!!! burning?