Sponsored by:

Helmet recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2010, 08:38 AM
docfink
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Helmet recommendations

Trying to schedule my first DE and need a helmet. Anyone out there recommend a reasonably priced, comfortable helmet? Also, not having bought one before, I'd like to know where a good place to purchase one might be.

Thanks--
Old 07-10-2010, 09:37 AM
VGM911
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For a coupe, I think a 3/4 helmet is adequate, but you'll see most people wearing full face helmets regardless of coupe/convertible construction. For a convertible or a motorcycle, a full face helmet is the most prudent choice.

A full face helmet offers better protection from fire than a partially open helmet. Regardless of the helmet, get one that meets Snell 2005 requirements (SA2005). There will be helmets with an updated SA2010 designation, but I don't think that they're available yet.

Don't buy a motorcycle helmet for use in a car - it's lining is not required to meet the fireproof standards mentioned above.

Good luck.
Old 07-10-2010, 09:39 AM
rdstemler
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your helmet fit will depend upon your head. A particular brand may fit your friend and be very comfortable, but it may not fit you. Try lots and then get the one that fits snugly but has no "hot spots". You will have to wear it for a number of minutes to be able to tell!
Old 07-10-2010, 10:49 AM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by rdstemler
Your helmet fit will depend upon your head. A particular brand may fit your friend and be very comfortable, but it may not fit you. Try lots and then get the one that fits snugly but has no "hot spots". You will have to wear it for a number of minutes to be able to tell!
All great points, so if you can find a shop near you that offers you the chance to try helmets on, go there and do it. If not, saferacer, and ogracing are a couple of good sources. Simpson makes some very nice, moderately price helmets. I would recommend you go with a full face helmet, both for added impact protection, and also for fire protection. Neither are high likelihood events, but you would hate to be wishing you had bought a full face helmet...
Old 07-10-2010, 12:20 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Full face is so much safer and I highly suggest that. As far as fit goes it depends on your head shape. You really need to go try them on. I do suggest when trying then on make sure the fit is tight because they will conform to your head a little and losen up.
Old 07-10-2010, 01:34 PM
yemenmocha
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

WHich brand is it that tends to not take up as much headroom in the car? I thought one brand or two had a better profile, flatter top or something like that.
Old 07-10-2010, 02:05 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

David there should be some vendors selling helmets at the Rolex race next weekend in Millville.
Old 07-10-2010, 03:08 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts

As others said, you MUST try helmets to see which fits best. Note, that helmet should fit snug, loose helmet may feel comfortable but won't be as safe.

I HIGHLY recommend OMP helmets! A bit more money than Chinese made stuff, but well worth the cost! They are greatly built, light, and most can be had with extra accessories (different visos, HANS, etc).

I got this one, it's a GREAT helmet.
http://www.ompracing.it/detail.html?productcode=SC723
Old 07-10-2010, 09:26 PM
PasPar2
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

I just bought my first helmet (also gearing up for DE). You have to go to a store and try a few on... no way around it. The helmets sits completely differently then I imagined and the one I wanted (reviews/large opening for eye glass wearers) was not comfortable/didnt fit well. Ended up with a bell s2r in a size smaller then I thought I needed....
Old 07-10-2010, 09:37 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

I second the points made by other posters. The old saying goes something like "don't buy a cheap helmet unless you have a cheap head". Look for quality construction, light weight, and comfort. If you wear glasses or even sunglasses, some helmets just don't work very well. I have a Bell M3 Kevlar Pro series. It's relatively light and has room for my glasses. It's OK to buy online from a reputable dealer but make sure you try on the helmet you're interested in first.
Old 07-11-2010, 01:17 AM
docfink
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I appreciate all your comments and advice. I will attempt to try one on locally, but I don't know where I can do so easily. Also, while the NJ Motorsports Park isn't THAT far away, it's not exactly across the street either. I might have to do this online, but I'll keep up the search.
Old 07-11-2010, 04:34 AM
akim47
Racer

Based on recommendations from a few people, i picked up a very reasonably priced helmet from HJC.

http://www.hjc-motorsports.com/ar10.htm

My friend got me a really good deal, and I think it worked just fine for the couple events I went to.
Old 07-11-2010, 04:37 AM
akim47
Racer

also, to add, the more expensive stuff, according to my friend, isn't any "safer"... they can be made of lighterweight advanced materials, have better ventilation systems, and also be HANS compatible... i'm not a hardcore racer, so I don't ever envision using a hans system...
Old 07-11-2010, 12:44 PM
jason952
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

there is a good article about helmet options in this month's car and driver.

Also, www.ogracing.com will rent you a helmet for a weekend, then you can experiment without having to spend all the money at once....

JO
Old 07-11-2010, 01:51 PM
oMenRC51
Banned

Received 56 Likes on 31 Posts

I have used Arai helmets for all (dirty bike, roadracing motorcycles and DE PCar events) my motorsport needs. Arai is simply the best you can buy.

http://www.araiamericas.com/default....ts/auto/gp-6rc

Quick Reply: Helmet recommendations