Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ever been stopped by police and sent on your way because of your car?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2010, 11:34 PM
lumpy
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got pulled over (in a 993 turbo) on a rainy cool evening going less than 40 in a 35 mph zone. The butch female (think rosie and rosanne mix) police officer said I went around the corner too quickly...I responded by saying i was going less then 40 mph (no bs). She forcefully said the posted limit is 35mph. Interestingly, she was vanderbilit university cop in a dodger charger and armed. She returned with my papers and told me to watch my speed. I must admit I looked like crap with my 3 day beard and messy hair...maybe my new york plates in nashville bugged her too.
Old 07-11-2010, 12:57 PM
BobbyB
Addict
Rennlist Member

I was let go, with a warning. I was going about 45, top down, enjoying life. The problem, I was in a 30 MPH zone. The red lights hit me so I pulled over. When the cop came up he told me my speed and that I was over the limit . What could I say? But then he said "nice car, a Boxster isn't it?" When I replied, yes, he said, "I'm saving to get a Porsche, I bet they are fun" He then said "I'm going to let you go but don't forget the speed limit is 30, and my partner doesn't like Porsche's so he will not let you go. Have a great afternoon."
Old 07-11-2010, 01:40 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 393 Likes on 269 Posts

I am surprised that no one considered that event police harassment...
Old 07-11-2010, 01:43 PM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 326 Likes on 180 Posts

I haven't bee pulled over yet but one sunny day on the 680 / 24 merge in Walnut Creek I came out of a wide 90 degree sweep at about 70 mph in the fast lane. A little fast maybe but not crazy. I had my 3 year old twins in the back and my 12 year ol niece in the passenger seat. Anyway, I come out out of the turn and see a CHP in the far right 4 lanes over. He sees me and stomps on it, cuts across all lanes recklessly, and cuts in front of me and slams on the brakes. It's a 65 zone and he slows down to 55 mph and just stays there for a couple of minutes. I'm pissed but what can you do. Then out of nowhere he throws the lights on and cuts back across all lanes to the far right and exits the freeway. My little niece said "what's his problem?".
Old 07-11-2010, 01:45 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 393 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
4x

1: exit 280 near edgewood. at bottom of exit i saw cop. i stoped then slowly pulled off with sharkey exhaust in my orange RS. he turned around stopped me..... "were you trying to taunt me with the loud exhaust?".... "no, officer"... i was let go

2. 880S early morning. pulled over. he looked at my 996c4s, nice car. take it easy (it was 7am, no car on fwy, i was 8mph over speed limit with CC on)

3. 680S near walnut creek. in my BSR race car, full of graphics no window pouring rain. we exchg'd words on if the car was street legal or not. 100db or so. was ok with it and asked where to have a car build like that.

4. 680N near walnut creek white 9gt3 with white roll bar. he followed me for 10 miles, i had CC on 5mph over. after stopping me, he asked where to get such a roll bar and if i built it myself.
Police harassment? 1 and 3 are questionable, but 4 clearly.
Old 07-11-2010, 02:07 PM
cbzzoom

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Alfaguy2
I am a police sergeant and so can't really be driving too wildly. I was only ever stopped once when out of town for a routine check. I never say I am a policeman when stopped as it does not seem appropriate. I noticed my car got more scurtiny than the others stopped at the same time looking for faults, road tax, insurance etc. Envy perhaps?
Wow. Ireland is like a whole other world, I've never heard of a responsible attitude like this before, much respect for you, sir.

Where I grew up in Texas, the cops act like they're old-west sheriffs still, and in the small towns everybody knows each other. One of my friends was the son of the deputy sheriff, and he had a bored out Mustang that we would race all over town. Once in a while a cop would pull us over, but when he'd get up by window he'd just be like "oh, it's you, tone it down a little".

I knew another guy later in life who was an amateur car racer who joined the force specifically so that he could speed around city streets in his cruiser.

ps. as for the original post - no, but I have been stopped and given a ticket because of the Porsche twice when I was going right with the flow of traffic; everybody on the freeway does 5-10 mph over the limit, I was just cruising with the flow, boom a cop comes right over to me and picks me out of the group and gives me a ticket.
Old 07-12-2010, 07:41 PM
Caughtacab911
Instructor

Originally Posted by cbzzoom
ps. as for the original post - no, but I have been stopped and given a ticket because of the Porsche twice when I was going right with the flow of traffic; everybody on the freeway does 5-10 mph over the limit, I was just cruising with the flow, boom a cop comes right over to me and picks me out of the group and gives me a ticket.
That's reverse discrimination!
Old 07-12-2010, 08:36 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Hella-Buggin'
I haven't bee pulled over yet but one sunny day on the 680 / 24 merge in Walnut Creek I came out of a wide 90 degree sweep at about 70 mph in the fast lane. A little fast maybe but not crazy. I had my 3 year old twins in the back and my 12 year ol niece in the passenger seat. Anyway, I come out out of the turn and see a CHP in the far right 4 lanes over. He sees me and stomps on it, cuts across all lanes recklessly, and cuts in front of me and slams on the brakes. It's a 65 zone and he slows down to 55 mph and just stays there for a couple of minutes. I'm pissed but what can you do. Then out of nowhere he throws the lights on and cuts back across all lanes to the far right and exits the freeway. My little niece said "what's his problem?".
It's their vigilante DNA gone awry. I see crap like this a lot (fortunately not as a result of anything I'm doing but of others around me). Stuff like that DOES cause accidents needlessly. I have no idea what they are teaching law enforcement officials today, but it's not working.
Old 07-12-2010, 09:38 PM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Hella-Buggin'
Only 70 mph?! That's barely moving for that on-ramp (two cambered, gently sweeping lanes with left and right shoulders almost equally as wide).
Old 07-12-2010, 10:47 PM
niner niner seven
Racer

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Hey, a little poetic license. Cut me some slack. It was a happy ending for me in that I left without a ticket. But as a menace to society, did I deserve one, sure. I was still in my thirties. With age comes reserve.
i am just joking with you. smoken 997 you have.
Old 07-13-2010, 12:22 AM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 326 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by Tcc1999
Only 70 mph?! That's barely moving for that on-ramp (two cambered, gently sweeping lanes with left and right shoulders almost equally as wide).
I know, I did have my kids in the car I was being the cautious dad. Otherwise they dime me out to the wife. I was pretty appalled by the cops actions. He was ten times more likely to cause a wreck than I was.
Old 07-14-2010, 04:38 PM
aka_Sven
Advanced

No such luck in the P car yet. Only evidence I have points the other way, though it is not recent. In the 90's I had a Saab 900 turbo and still the impulsive spirit of youth. I got on a freeway at its beginning. There being absolutely no cars ahead and no ramps for a mile or so, I floored it up to 100. Then a 911 came up from behind. I was doing 110 when it passed me. At this point I noticed a CHP in hot pursuit of us. The 911 changed lanes and took a ramp onto another freeway. I eased off the throttle and for 2 seconds held my breath to see which one of us he would tackle. He followed the 911. May have been because he was in the lead, but also I expect the officer wanted to bag a P car.
Old 07-14-2010, 04:49 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Caughtacab911
OK, I'd like to pre-empt the inevitable and expected criticism for the actions that led to the experience I'm about to describe. We've all been there, or most of us anyway, and this was mine. I fully recognize that it might not have ended this way, but it did and lesson learned. Thanks for not reminding me never to, well, you know...
Has anyone had a similar experience?
Gene
there is state police and local town police. depending of how big town is and for how long you live there - local law enforcement is a part of community and they know pretty well who got what.
i drive past them quite often and we just exchange nods. i would not expect them to do any mischief against me and if they would - i would definitely visit our chief with WTF? question. but why would they? it`s a town business.

but on a masspike you can expect pretty much anything from state troopers, depending of their mood. i had some following me for 3-4 miles as I was driving on a cruise control 5mph over speed limit in a middle lane. just keep your calm no matter what happens...
Old 07-14-2010, 10:37 PM
Caughtacab911
Instructor

Originally Posted by utkinpol
just keep your calm no matter what happens...
Always good advice. It does work...

Gene
Old 07-15-2010, 01:25 PM
RollingArt
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Caughtacab911
Ever been stopped by police and sent on your way because of your car?
Gene
Nope.

Stopped once in the 997. Got a $500.00 ticket!

Phil

Quick Reply: Ever been stopped by police and sent on your way because of your car?