Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ever been stopped by police and sent on your way because of your car?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2010, 04:26 PM
Caughtacab911
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ever been stopped by police and sent on your way because of your car?

OK, I'd like to pre-empt the inevitable and expected criticism for the actions that led to the experience I'm about to describe. We've all been there, or most of us anyway, and this was mine. I fully recognize that it might not have ended this way, but it did and lesson learned. Thanks for not reminding me never to, well, you know...

My wife and I were returning home from dinner at a local restaurant. It was a quiet Sunday night, about 9:00 pm. With 80-degree summer evening temps, the top was down. Our drive home was about 4 miles, 6-8 minutes in total, along main suburban roads and a route we've taken a thousand times. There were literally no other cars out on a quiet Sunday night.

We were halfway home and had just made a turn onto the main street that leads to our house. I was under the speed limit the entire time, driving quite normally. I pulled away from the turn when suddenly I see blue lights flashing across my rear view mirror, as our local law enforcement representative pulled up behind me. With the top down and nothing between you and those flashing LED blues, it creates a powerful visual impression. I thought, oh s--t, where did he come from? We had had several cocktails and I was certainly over the limit, which added to my concern. This did not look good...

He walks up to my side, towering over me and says "you really put the hammer down when you turned that corner, didn't you?" I thought, what the heck is he talking about? Damn sport exhaust! I muttered something and reached for my wallet. Instead of asking for my license and registration, he says next "Nice car. Does she [pointing to my wife] also have one of these?" I was taken aback by the question but I answered "no, she has an Audi, but I let her drive mine." He then said, "well I'm sure it's a lot of fun to drive. Take it easy and have a good night."

Considerations: I do live in the town and my taxes pay his salary. I also think he was just idling in a small parking lot I passed just waiting for someone to come along to give him something to do. But having stopped me, he had me dead to rights. If I had been in a Camry I don't think it would have ended well. I have to believe the car saved my a-- that night.

Add that to the list of great things about Porsches.

Has anyone had a similar experience?

Gene
Old 07-10-2010, 05:05 PM
winkingchef
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice story. However, Drinking+driving=bad.

I did get pulled over in San Carlos twice by bored cops checking to see if I was drunk (just changing lanes frequently to get through a block of momos on El Camino).

Both times, the cop did spend a few extra minutes talking to me and you could tell his eyes were on the car. The GF thought he was being a jerk holding us up, but I knew better.
Old 07-10-2010, 05:22 PM
nosubt2
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Got out of ticket

Yes, I had a similair story, except I was guilty of speeding. I was doing 50 in a 30.
Coming home after a BRICK IN, I was in the S, one mile from the house.
Cop was waiting in the bottom of a dip in the road in the dark. Turned on the lights before I got to him. Valentine went off as his lights came on.
I pulled on to a well light side street and waited for him.
His first words were, " nice car".
He asked for my license, registration and insurance card. Took them and went back to his car.
Came back, gave me my papers and said " I am letting you off with a warning ticket because you have a nice looking car"
What is a BRICK IN, we take several cars, bypass the rev limiter on the ECU, put a brick on the gas pedal and bet on how long it goes before it blows up.
We do it every Friday the 13th.
Old 07-10-2010, 05:35 PM
Alfaguy2
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am a police sergeant and so can't really be driving too wildly. I was only ever stopped once when out of town for a routine check. I never say I am a policeman when stopped as it does not seem appropriate. I noticed my car got more scurtiny than the others stopped at the same time looking for faults, road tax, insurance etc. Envy perhaps?

I myself love to stop rare luxury cars but of course don't go out of my way to do so. I rarely find anything amiss on them. 911's of any age are a rare sight on Irish roads but if I stopped one for speeding for instance (never stopped a 911 in 27 years) I don't think just because its a p car would be enough to let it go without a ticket.
Old 07-10-2010, 05:45 PM
niner niner seven
Racer

pretty funny story, i have been pulled over for speeding and let go with no ticket, but never for no reason. i have also been followed closely but i just pull over into a gas station and let them pass by.

in all seriousness, i am very afraid of even having a single drink and then getting into the 997. you were very lucky he didnt nail you on a DUI. not really worth it.

Old 07-10-2010, 06:15 PM
PHDX2
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by niner niner seven
...you were very lucky he didnt nail you on a DUI.
Very true!

...not really worth it.
And how!
Old 07-10-2010, 06:48 PM
Kuhan
Racer

He probably pulled you over since you got his attention and then he's going to check if you have anything else worth worrying about (no front plate/expired tax etc). After he gave you a quick look he probably had nothing to book you for other than making a loud noise!

Alternative is that he was talking to you to see if you slur. Asking someone for their license/regisration is a silent affair and require you not to say anything. He's making small talk to get you talking and see if you have been drinking. If he suspected anything, he probably would have taken it further but I guess he did not.

You got lucky - not because of the car you drive.
Old 07-10-2010, 07:25 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 126 Posts

I never heard of that sort of pulling over business until I got my first Porsche--in 1974. Less than a week of ownership and I was directed into one of those spot state inspection things that they throw up in a hurry. they just wanted to talk about the car! After I got this low-profile blue car I got pulled over 4 times in the space of about a month--I had not been pulled over for years prior to that. (Nothing was wrong, so off I went). One time I was pulled over on the freeway with the cruise control set at 65 mph -- actual 63 mph. The traffic was virtually non existent. (Time was about 2 am, however). He stopped me I assume to see if I had been drinking. I was just returning from a friend's house with no drinking at all. Apparently at that time of night and with someone going precisely the speed limit or lower they immediately suspect drinking as a factor. (Non-drinkers speed, while drivers who have been drinking want to maintain a low profile by staying UNDER the limit). I was sort of pissed at him as some 4-door Japanese thing was in the left lane clearly going about 75 mph and he just ignored that one. I thought he confused me with that with his radar (which I detected immediately with my V1). Of course, he let me go.
Old 07-10-2010, 07:47 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Several Times:

when the cop comes up to the window, they always think i stole the car (I'm only 24), then once they see that everything is in my name they are really nice and let me on my way.... I've only gotten 2 tickets in the porsche and they were at the same time because i did something stupid... luckily i got out of both of them because of a relationship with the DA..

dont get me wrong, im not a "stupid driver" ive been driving nearly a decade and never gotten in a wreck or caused a wreck or anything of the sort... i just enjoy driving a little faster than others at times, never in heavy traffic/etc..

probably say i have been pulled over 20x in life... ticketed each time when i had civic/s2000/G35coupe/Mitsubishi... when i got my first porsche i got pulled over but no tickets.. when i got second porsche pulled over several times with 2 tickets that were dismissed...

so end notes, buy a porsche... (i personall think its a higher end car thing.... like they feel you'll just get a lawyer anyways and get your way out... or they just respect the car???)
Old 07-10-2010, 08:15 PM
Alstoy
Burning Brakes

My town has a lot of nice cars, so the local police don't really care that much about a Porsche. But, I have gotten off with two warnings this year. They were on the same stretch of road and the last police officer said that the third time may not be so lucky for me.
Old 07-10-2010, 09:25 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

This happened a number of years ago, probabably late '80's when I still had my '84 Carrera 3.2 and it really stuck in my mind.

Before they did all the freeway work around here on US 101, there was a 90 degree sweeper leading to a freeway on-ramp. It was really fun to come off that turn in 3rd gear and put the hammer down to accelerate onto the freeway, listening to the song of that aircooled flat six exhaust. As I merged onto the near empty freeway at about 75-80 I saw the red light in my rear view mirror. The officer had been in the right lane, and hidden from my view. I knew I was screwed. I pulled over, put both hands on the steering wheel and waited for judgement.

The CHP came to the right side of the car and motioned for me to roll down the window. He knelt down and asked, "License please. Do you know how fast you were going?" I responded with something lame like, "Sorry sir, I was just accelerating as quickly as possible to merge safely". Amazingly, the officer replied, "Well, I wish my cruiser accelerated like that. Why don't you take it a little easier and have a good evening". I thanked him as he handed back my license and sent me on my way.

I caught a lucky break with a another car guy who I honestly believe was impressed with my Porsche. A happy ending for me!
Old 07-10-2010, 09:37 PM
niner niner seven
Racer

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
This happened a number of years ago, probabably late '80's when I still had my '84 Carrera 3.2 and it really stuck in my mind.

Before they did all the freeway work around here on US 101, there was a 90 degree sweeper leading to a freeway on-ramp. It was really fun to come off that turn in 3rd gear and put the hammer down to accelerate onto the freeway, listening to the song of that aircooled flat six exhaust. As I merged onto the near empty freeway at about 75-80 I saw the red light in my rear view mirror. The officer had been in the right lane, and hidden from my view. I knew I was screwed. I pulled over, put both hands on the steering wheel and waited for judgement.

The CHP came to the right side of the car and motioned for me to roll down the window. He knelt down and asked, "License please. Do you know how fast you were going?" I responded with something lame like, "Sorry sir, I was just accelerating as quickly as possible to merge safely". Amazingly, the officer replied, "Well, I wish my cruiser accelerated like that. Why don't you take it a little easier and have a good evening". I thanked him as he handed back my license and sent me on my way.

I caught a lucky break with a another car guy who I honestly believe was impressed with my Porsche. A happy ending for me!
good story, "put the hammer down" pretty hilarious

uncertain re. "happy ending" tho.
Old 07-10-2010, 09:54 PM
mossjn
Advanced

Had almost identical issue as OP. 1am, local, a few drinks, top down and he commented favorably about the car in detail, actually asked how fast it can go and then, after checking license and registration back in his car, said "the last thing you probably need is a ticket tonight". I agreed with him and he left it as a warning. Unbelievable. Thought I died and went to heaven.

Now I do have the license plate frame with" KA 4993" which I received from a former CHP and is evidently the radio frequency that CHP's communicate on. I have a hard time not believing that this was the key to success........
Old 07-10-2010, 10:05 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

good story, "put the hammer down" pretty hilarious

uncertain re. "happy ending" tho.
Hey, a little poetic license. Cut me some slack. It was a happy ending for me in that I left without a ticket. But as a menace to society, did I deserve one, sure. I was still in my thirties. With age comes reserve.
Old 07-10-2010, 10:54 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,487 Likes on 2,271 Posts

4x

1: exit 280 near edgewood. at bottom of exit i saw cop. i stoped then slowly pulled off with sharkey exhaust in my orange RS. he turned around stopped me..... "were you trying to taunt me with the loud exhaust?".... "no, officer"... i was let go

2. 880S early morning. pulled over. he looked at my 996c4s, nice car. take it easy (it was 7am, no car on fwy, i was 8mph over speed limit with CC on)

3. 680S near walnut creek. in my BSR race car, full of graphics no window pouring rain. we exchg'd words on if the car was street legal or not. 100db or so. was ok with it and asked where to have a car build like that.

4. 680N near walnut creek white 9gt3 with white roll bar. he followed me for 10 miles, i had CC on 5mph over. after stopping me, he asked where to get such a roll bar and if i built it myself.

Quick Reply: Ever been stopped by police and sent on your way because of your car?