Sponsored by:

TORQUE???

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 09:09 PM
hockeyguy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SARGEPUG
I don't want to sell the S yet, I love the car, just exploring my options. Car is crazy fast, I am just not used to having to throttle a car to achieve it. I am a little of a torque *****!
Ok, you say the car is crazy fast, but you don't want to have to throttle the car as much to achieve it.

I have a suggestion: instead of spending $30K in engine mods or moving up to a TT, why don't you spend just $250 instead for a SPRINT BOOSTER. (You attach it to the accelerator pedal, and perhaps you get exactly what you want, and just maybe you're DONE).

Last edited by hockeyguy; 07-22-2010 at 09:36 PM.
Old 07-23-2010, 07:45 AM
1Carnut
Pro

Received 75 Likes on 47 Posts

I also have a moded Gallardo (lots of stuff done and converted to rwd), and that car is not a tq monster either, though like the 997 is has its sweet spots. Most tuners go for hp (it is easier to acheive), and adding hp does not do much until higher rpms. I am not sure you can find this info on this board, but in some cases exhaust changes have actually dropped tq to add hp, there are different opinions on this but back pressure plays a role. Yes my car is way over the top, but I wanted something made for me. I had almost every part of the chasis remade in lightweight materials, since weight loss was my first goal, power was second. Believe me, my car has its moments, even after 3 years after the rebuild it still needs adjustments now and then. I have been doing this type of stuff to cars for over 35 years, and I offer this advise, either go big or do nothing when it comes to a 997.

I hear ya, but what you did sounds way too exessive to me anyway. I'm not looking for that. I would like somehow to get the tq, at least equal to the stock hp.
Old 07-23-2010, 11:48 AM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Received 133 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 1Carnut
I also have a moded Gallardo (lots of stuff done and converted to rwd), and that car is not a tq monster either, though like the 997 is has its sweet spots. Most tuners go for hp (it is easier to acheive), and adding hp does not do much until higher rpms. I am not sure you can find this info on this board, but in some cases exhaust changes have actually dropped tq to add hp, there are different opinions on this but back pressure plays a role. Yes my car is way over the top, but I wanted something made for me. I had almost every part of the chasis remade in lightweight materials, since weight loss was my first goal, power was second. Believe me, my car has its moments, even after 3 years after the rebuild it still needs adjustments now and then. I have been doing this type of stuff to cars for over 35 years, and I offer this advise, either go big or do nothing when it comes to a 997.
Looks like I will prob stay unmodded, cause I really don't want to compromise my warranty nor spend $30k on a RUF package for moderate tq gains. I think I am driving the car in a muscle car fashion and that could be the issue. Having supercharged Roush mustangs for 8 years leading up to this purchase could be the culprit. The last one being 540hp/540tq. I am used to barely using 1st, due to it's violent nature. Then living in 2nd and 3rd at moderate rpms, cause you have gobs of power there and the V8 is not a rever anyway. I have to adjust my driving style to experiance the full potential of the S. I will let the clutch out at a higer rpm off of the start and live in the upper spectrum of the RPM range through out. I will transform from an American muscle head to a refined European! haha
Old 07-23-2010, 12:20 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts

Looks like I will prob stay unmodded, cause I really don't want to compromise my warranty nor spend $30k on a RUF package for moderate tq gains. I think I am driving the car in a muscle car fashion and that could be the issue. Having supercharged Roush mustangs for 8 years leading up to this purchase could be the culprit. The last one being 540hp/540tq. I am used to barely using 1st, due to it's violent nature. Then living in 2nd and 3rd at moderate rpms, cause you have gobs of power there and the V8 is not a rever anyway. I have to adjust my driving style to experiance the full potential of the S. I will let the clutch out at a higer rpm off of the start and live in the upper spectrum of the RPM range through out. I will transform from an American muscle head to a refined European! haha
+1.

Wow, it took 4 pages before you came to your senses?

Learn how to enjoy this car, and if at some point you still had the urge for more torque down low, go shopping for a 997 TT!
Old 07-23-2010, 01:27 PM
rvklein
Racer

A TPC turbo kit is in order. 520hp 450lb/ft of torque. It's 100% bolt on. No internal engine mods. It's not going to void your warranty. 10 grand and happy customers all over the world.
Old 07-23-2010, 01:36 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rvklein
A TPC turbo kit is in order. 520hp 450lb/ft of torque. It's 100% bolt on. No internal engine mods. It's not going to void your warranty. 10 grand and happy customers all over the world.
Really? I LOVE to see what happens if you put the kit on and go to the dealer for an IMS failure!

Porsche has denied claims on chipped cars and over-reved cars, do you think they're just gonna warrnty a car with a 520 HP kit on a 355HP engine?!
Old 07-23-2010, 02:38 PM
rvklein
Racer

He doesn't have an IMS. ;P

If Porsche is confident that the increased HP contributed to an engine failure then sure he'd run into a problem but the warranty isn't unilatterally voided.

From what I hear TPC hasn't had any significant engine problems from their turbo charges caymans or 997s.
Old 07-23-2010, 02:49 PM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Please elaborate! More details!!
Old 07-23-2010, 02:55 PM
rvklein
Racer

http://www.tpcracing.com/products/TP...996-Turbo-Kit/

Videos, dyno's and stuff. They are in MD so it's not even that bad a drive to have them do the install.
Old 07-23-2010, 03:03 PM
cbzzoom

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's not going to void your warranty.
eh.. yeah, good luck with that!
Old 07-23-2010, 03:13 PM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

http://www.tpcracing.com/products/TP...996-Turbo-Kit/

Videos, dyno's and stuff. They are in MD so it's not even that bad a drive to have them do the install.
Thanks, Was just looking and the .2 system us not out yet. Where did you see the warranty info?
Old 07-23-2010, 03:21 PM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Originally Posted by alexb76
+1.

Wow, it took 4 pages before you came to your senses?

Learn how to enjoy this car, and if at some point you still had the urge for more torque down low, go shopping for a 997 TT!
haha, always knew it, just didn't want to have to change my driving style. If the car had more power down low, I wouldn't have to. However, when you get the RPMs 5k and beyond, it's a wonderful thing!
Old 07-23-2010, 03:23 PM
rvklein
Racer

Ah that's right. Forgot they don't have the .2 system yet. Maybe you'll volunteer to pilot it? My comment re: warranty was my opinion that PCNA wasn't going to gobally void your warranty due to a bolt on mod.
Old 07-23-2010, 03:42 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

He doesn't have an IMS. ;P

If Porsche is confident that the increased HP contributed to an engine failure then sure he'd run into a problem but the warranty isn't unilatterally voided.

From what I hear TPC hasn't had any significant engine problems from their turbo charges caymans or 997s.
I thought your ordered that for yourself.

As I said, ANY major engine upgrade voids your engine warranty. There's even reports of warranty denial due to aftermarket exhaust. A Turbo kit is A MAJOR upgrade!
Old 07-23-2010, 04:07 PM
rvklein
Racer

Legally (magnuson moss act) the auto maker is cannot deny warranty coverage unless they can show that the after market modification contributed to the failure

Quick Reply: TORQUE???