Sponsored by:

TORQUE???

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 10:35 AM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Received 133 Likes on 86 Posts
Default TORQUE???

What less expensive way is their to get more torque, than installing a RUF supercharger? The car is currently very fast, but I feel needs to be driven aggressively for max performance. This is simply due to the nature of it's powerband, with all the max numbers being above 5k. I do not have many opportunities to wind her out and would like more power down low in the rev range, which is where I am a majority of the time. It also doesn't help, that I always had supercharged V8 Roush Mustangs leading up to this, the last one having hp/tq of 540/540. The 911 runs circles around it overall , but I would like some more grunt down low. To complicate matters further, I really don't want to compromise the factory warrenty either. Any suggestions?
Old 07-20-2010, 10:48 AM
camhabib
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think it's just the nature of the beast. You could try adding a chip or possibly something with the exhaust (more resistance = greater low end torque overall less hp, less resistance = greater high end torque overall higher hp, so I've been informed and experienced). Best bet may just be to ride her in a lower gear tho.
Old 07-20-2010, 10:52 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,372 Likes on 794 Posts

my best bet:

buy a 198x mercedes benz diesel S class. It will cost about the same as a chip from a reputable manufacturer, but after driving that for a while, your car will feel like a torque monster.
Old 07-20-2010, 11:13 AM
RollingArt
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Swap a Chevy V-8 into that bitch.

Then you'll have the best of both worlds.

Phil
Old 07-20-2010, 11:15 AM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts

If you really want a Porsche with lots of Torque, you should trade your car for a Turbo, LOTS of torque all over the rev range. You can probably trade-in your car at par with a 997.1 Turbo, that's what I would do if I needed more torque out of 911.
Old 07-20-2010, 11:44 AM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Why not just jump into your E550 whenever you need more torque?

Seriously, I don't think you'll be able to get enough increase out of the C2S to make a big difference (without impacting the warranty), which leaves the TT option as perhaps the best choice if you really need more in a Porsche.
Old 07-20-2010, 12:21 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts

I think you need to to a test drive of a 911 TT, if you're a Torque guy, you may end-up coming home with one!
Old 07-20-2010, 01:10 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 229 Likes on 125 Posts

Having been a Porsche customer for many decades, I have found today's engines to have significantly more torque than ever before--and it's because of the larger displacement. If you feel that you have a shortage of torque around 2500 rpm then you clearly bought the wrong car.
Old 07-20-2010, 01:28 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Just learn to get on the power earlier. If you're not WOT by the apex you're doing it wrong.
Old 07-20-2010, 02:29 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 393 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Having been a Porsche customer for many decades, I have found today's engines to have significantly more torque than ever before--and it's because of the larger displacement. If you feel that you have a shortage of torque around 2500 rpm then you clearly bought the wrong car.
Yes.
Old 07-20-2010, 02:31 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Nugget
Just learn to get on the power earlier. If you're not WOT by the apex you're doing it wrong.
On the 997 S (at least my 997.2S - same as the OP's) spirited driving on demanding twisty mountain roads is done mid-range on the tach, rarely exceeding 5k. Same driving required to be far higher on the tach on the 996 generation.
Old 07-20-2010, 03:51 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
On the 997 S (at least my 997.2S - same as the OP's) spirited driving on demanding twisty mountain roads is done mid-range on the tach, rarely exceeding 5k. Same driving required to be far higher on the tach on the 996 generation.
I understand what you are saying but not why it is in reply to my post.
Old 07-20-2010, 08:33 PM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Received 133 Likes on 86 Posts

I am not unhappy w/ the car in the least! I actaully dumped my 1 of 151, 08' Roush P51A Mustang http://www.roushperformance.com/mustang_p51.shtml, cause I could not find myself wanting to give up what little time I have to drive a toy, in any other seat than my 911. I was so enamored w/ the overall feel and perforance of the car, that it was all over w/ the stang, as much of a great all around performer it is. I can probably more that break even on the sale of the car, since it had a $100k sticker and I landed it for just under $80k cash. To boot, it only has 2,800 on the clock. I added the PSE and short throw myself , all w/ a 25% discount on parts and labor, but I don't want to sell it. I love the car! I also would never buy a used TT or used anything for that matter. Nothing is perfect and for me the only "inperfection" is the lack of torque out of the gate. I could / should have went for the TT, but I just didn't. Maybe a RUF conversion is in the future. It will make the car very unique since I have 3 residences in extremely affluent areas. Westchester, Manhattan and Hamptons. So Porsches of all make and model are abundant. I also have a connection w/ this model since it is my first Carerra, so instead of dumping it for a TT, I actually would prefer to RUF Supercharge it for the 25k and put on a Ruf Aero kit, within a year or so.

Last edited by SARGEPUG; 07-20-2010 at 09:11 PM.
Old 07-20-2010, 09:08 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Nugget
I understand what you are saying but not why it is in reply to my post.
My posting mistake.
Old 07-20-2010, 09:15 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by SARGEPUG
I am not unhappy w/ the car in the least! I actaully dumped my 1 of 151, 08' Roush P51A Mustang http://www.roushperformance.com/mustang_p51.shtml, cause I could not find myself wanting to give up what little time I have to drive a toy, in any other seat than my 911. I was so enamored w/ the overall feel and perforance of the car, that it was all over w/ the stang, as much of a great all around performer it is. I can probably more that break even on the sale of the car, since it had a $100k sticker and I landed it for just under $80k cash. To boot, it only has 2,800 on the clock. I added the PSE and short throw myself , all w/ a 25% discount on parts and labor, but I don't want to sell it. I love the car! I also would never buy a used TT or used anything for that matter. Nothing is perfect and for me the only "inperfection" is the lack of torque out of the gate. I could / should have went for the TT, but I just didn't. Maybe a RUF conversion is in the future. It will make the car very unique since I have 3 residences in extremely affluent areas. Westchester, Manhattan and Hamptons. So Porsches of all make and model are abundant. I also have a connection w/ this model since it is my first Carerra, so instead of dumping in for a TT, I actually would prefer to RUF Supercharge it for the 25k, when I feel the time is right.
I know torque. I drove LS3 C6s. The 997.2S does not lack torque. These cars are not about jack-rabbit smoking (but not moving) starts. They are all about smoothness, linear fast progression and enormous grip and traction. Have you considered a PSDS course?

Quick Reply: TORQUE???