Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

South Bay / Torrance, California Mechanic?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 02:44 PM
Racedriver
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default South Bay / Torrance, California Mechanic?

I'm looking for a good independent mechanic in the South Bay / Torrance / Palos Verdes area for basic oil changes and brakes. I've searched threads and some older ones recommended Callas. Couldn't find anything more recent. Any recommendations? Thanks!
Old 07-25-2010, 04:59 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Callas isn't cheap but he's one of the best.
Old 07-26-2010, 12:34 AM
INCONEL
Intermediate

Kenny at Auto Werkstatt is great and has a PIWIS. I've also heard that Robert at Dutch Treat is very knowledgeable and fair with his pricing.

Callas is known to be great, but you're not going to save much $$ over the dealer. Highly recommend him for more significant services. They just did an LN Engineering IMS upgrade on my buddy's 996.
Old 07-30-2010, 09:35 PM
Harmony Jim
Intermediate

Default SouthBay/Torrance, California Mechanic

I can't disagree with SinisterSC more. Tony and the guys at Callas are FAR less money than any dealer you will find. My Porsche dealer charges $180/hr. vs Callas which charges a little over half that much per hour. I sure would call that less!! The guys worked on my 2000 996 Carrera Cabriolet recently installing a LN Engineering bearing retrofit kit, as well as a new clutch plate, and an oil/filter change. I can POSITIVELY assure you that it was massively cheaper than my dealer would have charged. The work was well done, the shop is immaculate, the tools are all the current (read expensive) factory versions, and the mechanics are neat, very well trained and amazingly friendly. I can't imagine going anywhere else after my experience with Tony and his crew at Callas Rennsport in Torrance, CA. I looked long and hard to locate a shop to work on my car, and when you see the racing history of this shop, the amazing collection of technical manuals, the level of training and knowledge, you just won't find any shop, anywhere, at any price that will begin to compare. Don't just take my word, give Tony or Tom a call and talk with them - you will soon agree with all the above!!
Old 07-31-2010, 01:57 AM
akim47
Racer

my vote for Tony. He's an awesome resource and is very helpful. He's a true Porsche guy.

Quick Reply: South Bay / Torrance, California Mechanic?