Sponsored by:

new mod - heater core!

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 05:36 PM
akim47
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new mod - heater core!

my latest mod to my car is replacing the heater core.

a week ago, i turned on the defroster to be surprised by a blast of hot air (i'm used to cold AC coming on)... i left the heater on running at full blast to try to get the windows to defog... at the time i noticed (but did not think anything of it) a smell and noticed that the defroster left a residue on my winshield... this may have been a problem that was there but when i blasted the heater, it caused the problem to really manifest itself.

a couple of days later i received a "low coolant warning"... i was a bit concerned when I saw how much coolant/water i had to add to fill the resevoir. i then noticed water/coolant dripping from under the car. i took the car into my dealer who found that the coolant was dripping from the a/c drain tube and figured out it was the heater core. you can't really see the heater core from the bottom of the car. It's located under the plastic strip where the windshield wipers are and behind the battery.

my tech said that these usually never go bad, it was the first time the parts guy had ever ordered one... i just got hit with a bit of bad luck. he said it will be relatively easy to change. typically parts and labor on this would be $600-700ish if it was warranty work. i don't have any warranty on my car, so this is more the reason why it's a good idea to have your p-car covered... small parts and labor can add up quick!!! but oh well, i'm married to and love my car, and it's not the worst thing in the world... i paid for expedited shipping ($50!!!) on the part so i can get my car back tomorrow.

he commented that for the most part, the '06 997.1C2S is a really good car with not too many problematic issues. He was talking about the 997.2 cars and all the newer cars with DFI - they are getting tons of warranty claims for the high pressure fuel pump... we were also talking about cayennes and between the coolant tubes (plastic), coils and cardan shaft issues, they are a bit of a hassle to maintain... no one said these cars are cheap!!!
Old 07-27-2010, 06:42 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 393 Likes on 269 Posts

Just a note: to defog windows turn the AC on even in the Winter ( w/ the temp set to 68F). The condensation needs dry AC air to evaporate.
Old 07-27-2010, 07:37 PM
akim47
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sorry to ask a dumb question. but how do i get cold air to blow through the defroster? i tried to turn down the temp, but only hot air comes out. i searched old threads, and it says to do it manually. i tried pushing the up arrow, but it didnt work to well either.
Old 07-27-2010, 08:56 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 393 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by akim47
sorry to ask a dumb question. but how do i get cold air to blow through the defroster? i tried to turn down the temp, but only hot air comes out. i searched old threads, and it says to do it manually. i tried pushing the up arrow, but it didnt work to well either.
Turn the AC on.

Quick Reply: new mod - heater core!