Tesla Ride

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 05:37 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
245 miles of driving range...
That isn't that bad. What do you get on your car before you need to refuel? I get between 270 and 370 depending on the car I drive and how much I've pushed the tank.

The difference is in the fuel stop. For gas engines, its a quick pour into the tank -done. With an electric charge, it takes more time. There is no mandate that the recharge must take place in the same location every time.
Old 08-03-2010, 05:42 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by RF5BPilot
One of the big concerns is the performance of lithium batteries in cold weather. icruze -- have you had the car long enough to see how it does in bitter cold Chicago winters? Or does it stay inside in the really bad weather?
With the amount of drivers on this board alone that garage their Porsche once the rain or snow starts for fear of water spots, sand, and 70's era steel sliding down the road at them on bald tires, of course the tiny carbon fiber battery operated car will stay in a heated garage until the next summer.
Old 08-03-2010, 06:57 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 393 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by Minok
That isn't that bad. What do you get on your car before you need to refuel? I get between 270 and 370 depending on the car I drive and how much I've pushed the tank.

The difference is in the fuel stop. For gas engines, its a quick pour into the tank -done. With an electric charge, it takes more time. There is no mandate that the recharge must take place in the same location every time.
I do long road trips - often 500/600 miles in one day. I can refuel in 5 minutes. I would not wait 3 hours to recharge, I would not wait even 30 minutes. I need an unlimited range car.
Old 08-03-2010, 07:14 PM
KBS911
Rennlist Member

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts

The big "miss" in electrics is the carbon footprint required to produce and then charge these beasts. Making batteries is a very dirty business. Shipping components back and forth over the oceans to integration during final assembly requires an incredible amount of good old carbon based fuel. Shift now to recharge power. The U.S hasn't exactly embraced nuclear power generation so that means reliance on fossil fuel based electric power generation. There are currently concerns over the energy required to recharge and power our computers, i-pods and multitude of battery powered "gadgets". Throw electric powered transportation into the mix and you truly have an eco minded devotee's nightmare of unsustainable global energy consumption.
Old 08-03-2010, 07:32 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by KBS911
The big "miss" in electrics is the carbon footprint required to produce and then charge these beasts. Making batteries is a very dirty business. Shipping components back and forth over the oceans to integration during final assembly requires an incredible amount of good old carbon based fuel. Shift now to recharge power. The U.S hasn't exactly embraced nuclear power generation so that means reliance on fossil fuel based electric power generation. There are currently concerns over the energy required to recharge and power our computers, i-pods and multitude of battery powered "gadgets". Throw electric powered transportation into the mix and you truly have an eco minded devotee's nightmare of unsustainable global energy consumption.
Old 08-03-2010, 09:11 PM
nyca
Three Wheelin'

Received 742 Likes on 415 Posts

Most US electricity is generated from coal. So these plug in cars shift the transportation fuel demand to coal from oil.
Old 08-03-2010, 09:35 PM
Leader
Rennlist Member

Received 511 Likes on 160 Posts

icruze - Thanks for the first-hand report and "fact checking" on the Tesla.
It's amazing, but probably not surprising, how much misinformation is being circulated about the car.
I apologize for regurgitating some of the B.S.
Old 08-04-2010, 12:32 AM
icruze
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^^No problem. There is also some misinformation on "greeness" of electric cars posted above, but as I said before, I have no interest in being a poster boy for the green movement so I'll just leave it at that.

Car is not for everyone, but unlike Adias most people don't drive 200+ miles a day so it is truly the only practical electric out there. Obviously the cost limits its appeal, but the new sedan they'll be coming out with (Model S, see below) will be about half the price and have a better range.

Oh, one other negative of the Tesla is that it inspires mediocre rap videos: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7UzE...layer_embedded
Old 08-04-2010, 06:30 AM
GVA-SFO
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

@ KBS911 wrote:
The big "miss" in electrics is the carbon footprint required to produce and then charge these beasts.
Well, you can search for any tiny particles of CO2 all over of whatever productions, but do not forget one thing: a gasoline engine have a maximum theoretical efficiency ratio of about 25%, and this, ..at the optimal temp, with the optimal rpm, at the optimal load, and, etc..

So, in average, if you get 15% for real, this is just beautiful.
We can say that one quart of premium 91 is about equal to 10kWh, but when you feed a gasoline engine with one quart of gasoline, not much more than 1.5 kWh is used to accelerate your car, the rest, i.e.: 8.5kWh, does NOTHING else than warming up the planet.
(Also, not forgetting that, when you touch the brakes, the kinetic energy accumulated with this “15%”, ..just go ALL in heat too !!)

Should I add now that a good electric motor can have an efficiency ratio that is close to 99% ??

Well, do not get me wrong, I'm not against gasoline cars, I drive 911 as daily car, and this, since 26 years non stop, but, at least, I get the feeling of what's happen in the "engine" !
Or: As drivers of gasoline based cars, ..I think we should leave the production of batteries in peace, out of critics that looks like mosquitos next to an elephant.

This been said, THANKS A LOT to icruze to have taken the time to post his Tesla feeling for us.
I have not driven a Tesla yet, while living at less than 10 miles of Tesla of Menlo Park, ..and being invited to drive one. I want to do that, and just want to keep a good time for this, as, beside P cars, I also love the Tesla.
I'm pretty sure I will not buy a Roaster, but, ..to my eyes, the Series "S" looks absolutely beautiful !
Old 08-04-2010, 11:08 AM
Leader
Rennlist Member

Received 511 Likes on 160 Posts

The "S" exterior looks like a nice marriage of Jaguar and Aston-Martin styling.
Like those wheels, too.
Old 08-04-2010, 01:53 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by GVA-SFO
@ KBS911 wrote:

Well, you can search for any tiny particles of CO2 all over of whatever productions, but do not forget one thing: a gasoline engine have a maximum theoretical efficiency ratio of about 25%, and this, ..at the optimal temp, with the optimal rpm, at the optimal load, and, etc..

So, in average, if you get 15% for real, this is just beautiful.
We can say that one quart of premium 91 is about equal to 10kWh, but when you feed a gasoline engine with one quart of gasoline, not much more than 1.5 kWh is used to accelerate your car, the rest, i.e.: 8.5kWh, does NOTHING else than warming up the planet.
(Also, not forgetting that, when you touch the brakes, the kinetic energy accumulated with this “15%”, ..just go ALL in heat too !!)

Should I add now that a good electric motor can have an efficiency ratio that is close to 99% ??

Well, do not get me wrong, I'm not against gasoline cars, I drive 911 as daily car, and this, since 26 years non stop, but, at least, I get the feeling of what's happen in the "engine" !
Or: As drivers of gasoline based cars, ..I think we should leave the production of batteries in peace, out of critics that looks like mosquitos next to an elephant.

This been said, THANKS A LOT to icruze to have taken the time to post his Tesla feeling for us.
I have not driven a Tesla yet, while living at less than 10 miles of Tesla of Menlo Park, ..and being invited to drive one. I want to do that, and just want to keep a good time for this, as, beside P cars, I also love the Tesla.
I'm pretty sure I will not buy a Roaster, but, ..to my eyes, the Series "S" looks absolutely beautiful !
Just 2 points:

ICEs are far more efficient that 15%.
Electric motors are far less efficient (far less) than 99%.
Old 08-04-2010, 02:37 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Just 2 points:

ICEs are far more efficient that 15%.
Electric motors are far less efficient (far less) than 99%.
I did a search on this subject; there is a lot of information out there. Not to get in a p*ssing match but the numbers quoted by GVA-SFO appear to be pretty much in the ballpark. According to a number of annotated sources, the efficiency of the average internal combustion engine is in the range of 18-20% in terms of translating the energy stored in gasoline into motive power to the vehicle. OTOH, the average electric motor is 95% efficient at turning electrical energy to mechanical power. These facts don't seem to be too much in dispute, regardless of political bias either way. Obviously this relates only to the efficiency of the end product, not the relative cost of production of gasoline and electricity, although there are certainly inefficiencies in both. But on the face of it, it seems GVA-SFO's basic assumptions are valid.
Old 08-04-2010, 02:41 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
I did a search on this subject; there is a lot of information out there. Not to get in a p*ssing match but the numbers quoted by GVA-SFO appear to be pretty much in the ballpark. According to a number of annotated sources, the efficiency of the average internal combustion engine is in the range of 18-20% in terms of translating the energy stored in gasoline into motive power to the vehicle. OTOH, the average electric motor is 95% efficient at turning electrical energy to mechanical power. These facts don't seem to be too much in dispute, regardless of political bias either way. Obviously this relates only to the efficiency of the end product, not the relative cost of production of gasoline and electricity, although there are certainly inefficiencies in both. But on the face of it, it seems GVA-SFO's basic assumptions are valid.
You have to calculate the electric motor efficiency the same way you calculate the ICE efficiency, all the way to the coal/oil intrinsic energy firing up the electric powerplant...
Old 08-04-2010, 05:16 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

You have to calculate the electric motor efficiency the same way you calculate the ICE efficiency, all the way to the coal/oil intrinsic energy firing up the electric powerplant...
Of course. You'd have to include exploration, production facilities, transportation, storage, and many other costs. Although I'd bet that the total energy cost of producing a gallon of gasoline is as high or higher than the total cost of producing a quantity of electricity with equivelant energy content, I don't have the numbers to prove the point.

The 18-20% figure for the average ICE is a stand alone number; it doesn't include the costs of production for fuel any more than does the the 95% rating for the electric motor include the cost of producing electricity. The figures simply compare the relative inherent efficiency of the two motors, which I think was the point of the OP. In that respect, the electric motor is more than 4 times as efficient, which is a pretty big advantage to throw into the equation as part of the overall cost of production. Doesn't mean I'm giving up my ICE P car. FWIW, just simple facts.
Old 08-04-2010, 05:31 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Of course. You'd have to include exploration, production facilities, transportation, storage, and many other costs. Although I'd bet that the total energy cost of producing a gallon of gasoline is as high or higher than the total cost of producing a quantity of electricity with equivelant energy content, I don't have the numbers to prove the point.

The 18-20% figure for the average ICE is a stand alone number; it doesn't include the costs of production for fuel any more than does the the 95% rating for the electric motor include the cost of producing electricity. The figures simply compare the relative inherent efficiency of the two motors, which I think was the point of the OP. In that respect, the electric motor is more than 4 times as efficient, which is a pretty big advantage to throw into the equation as part of the overall cost of production. Doesn't mean I'm giving up my ICE P car. FWIW, just simple facts.
You are twisting my words. I commented on energy efficiency not production costs. You justified the 18-20% ICE efficiency saying "According to a number of annotated sources, the efficiency of the average internal combustion engine is in the range of 18-20% in terms of translating the energy stored in gasoline into motive power to the vehicle." I simply replied that you had to do the same analysis to compute the electrical motor total energy efficiency not just its electrical to mechanical efficiency. Apples to apples.

Quick Reply: Tesla Ride