Sponsored by:

Anyone really use the speedometer?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2010, 01:06 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RF5BPilot
I've thought way too much about this. My guess is that although the analog is relatively useless, Porschephiles would have screamed if they had eliminated the analog gauge -- it was left in for marketing purposes only. A vestige appendage.
Good observation.

Remember how 911 buyers supposedly went insane when the Boxster came out? It looked too similar.

Imagine what would happen if the 911 instrument cluster was "downgraded." See Boxster at center.

I personally like the original (on left), back when gauges were gauges!
Attached Images  
Old 07-31-2010, 02:47 PM
FI Flyer
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I seem to recall that about ten years ago, Cadillac came out with a their first digital speedometer. There was no analog display. It was apparently legal but it was awful.

It was totally annoying, constantly flicking up and down and back. I recall watching it as I was going to the airport in a limo. It seemed like the classic solution in search of a problem and I swore I'd never have one. Now, like most of the respondents to this thread, I rely on the digital display at the bottom of the tach and ignore the analog speedo.
Old 07-31-2010, 02:51 PM
PHDX2
Pro

Digital for me, as I almost never look at the analog speedometer.
Old 07-31-2010, 03:14 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 126 Posts

...and when gauges actually read out the CORRECT information. (Recall that the coolant temp gauge has been dumbed down to virtually useless).

Last edited by Edgy01; 07-31-2010 at 07:34 PM.
Old 07-31-2010, 03:17 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I can't see how anyone could use the analog speedometer. It's far too small and (at least for me) obscured by the steering wheel. The digital dash is much more useful. My only complaint is that it's laggy and that can sometimes be inconvenient on the track.

I rented a Jeep earlier this month that had the outside temperature on the dash in the same size, color, and position as the Porsche's digital speedometer. I can't count how many times I glanced down and had a moment of irrational panic "holy cow! I'm going 102!"
Old 07-31-2010, 03:21 PM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by FI Flyer
I seem to recall that about ten years ago, Cadillac came out with a their first digital speedometer. There was no analog display. It was apparently legal but it was awful.

It was totally annoying, constantly flicking up and down and back. I recall watching it as I was going to the airport in a limo. It seemed like the classic solution in search of a problem and I swore I'd never have one. Now, like most of the respondents to this thread, I rely on the digital display at the bottom of the tach and ignore the analog speedo.
Years ago my father in law had a 1983 Subaru witha a digital MPH and, believe it or not, a digital tach. Now that was really useless.... just a jumble of numbers.
Old 07-31-2010, 04:26 PM
TooSixy
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cviles
There's a host of NHTSA rules requiring the analog gauge as part of the car's safety equipment, accuracy of the odometer, etc. If Porsche could do away with it, I'd be happy to see it go and be replaced with other measurements, but government regulations change much slower than technology or consumer taste evolves.
Honda Civic and the old Nissan 300ZX both have digital speedometers.
Old 07-31-2010, 04:36 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TooSixy
S2000 too,
Old 08-01-2010, 06:33 PM
Paul S.
Pro

Received 66 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by cviles
There's a host of NHTSA rules requiring the analog gauge as part of the car's safety equipment, accuracy of the odometer, etc. If Porsche could do away with it, I'd be happy to see it go and be replaced with other measurements, but government regulations change much slower than technology or consumer taste evolves.
Are you sure about that--I had a 94 Corvette that had one speedometer and that was digital?

As for the analog speedo, on the Porsches it's worthless and I have never used it. Ironically on my Jetta Sportswagen TDI, it has an option to display a digital speedometer, which I turned off in favor of displaying fuel economy (the whole purpose of getting the diesel) because the analog speedo is readable.
Old 08-02-2010, 12:46 AM
_Nathan
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TooSixy
Lots of cars had them: http://www.doubleyoudigital.nl/~cars...dashboards.php
Old 08-02-2010, 11:20 AM
LlBr
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

This would be a nice find in hi res.
Attached Images  
Old 08-03-2010, 08:00 PM
useridchallenged
Instructor

Remember how the first gen 996 had the center instrument cluster organized like the 997? Then the second gen 996 (ca 2002?) moved the digital speedometer together with the analog speedometer? Ugh, I really thought that was a step backwards - I much prefer being able to see RPM and speed in the same instrument. Fortunately, in 2005 with the 997, Porsche went back to the same arrangement they had started off with.
Old 08-03-2010, 08:46 PM
akim47
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i may be wrong, but i think i saw a marketing pitch line talking about the 997 with the "traditional 5 gauge cluster"... in that sense, i'm fine with it - it's a tradition thing... just as i think it's cool and nostalgic that they've maintained the left side key for all these years. last time i checked, no one is participating in rally races where drivers have to run to their cars to start the race.

porsche is and always has been about their racing roots and heritage and i'm all for them keeping it...

that being said, i never look at the analog gauge. for that matter i don't really look at the digital one all that much either. i've set my limits for 85mph so the car dings at me to let me know to watch out for cops...
Old 08-03-2010, 08:51 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by akim47
i think i saw a marketing pitch line...
Good memory. From page 106 of the 997 brochure:

"The horizontal grouping of five round instruments is one of the classic features of the Porsche 911. On today's evolution, the spacing is wider, enabling easy access to all information"

Quick Reply: Anyone really use the speedometer?