Sponsored by:

"extended" warranty

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 01:15 PM
Spiffyjiff
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default "extended" warranty

this is directed specifcally to those who track and/or have modified cars. my '06 just went out of warranty and i was considering a 3rd party warranty thru my local dealer.

i know the little stuff breaking can be annoying and can add up to thousands, but my real fear is the drivetrain. however, since i track and have modified suspension, i am getting the feeling that it's a crap shoot as to whether a serious failure (read: blown engine) would even be covered. i called a couple diff dealers in my area, talked to the svc reps and most seem to have stories of adjusters denying certain claims, esp when track use/abuse is suspected. i also went so far as to call the 3rd party directly and talked to an adjuster who said, yes, on performance cars they most definitely scrutinize more harshly and "specifically look for reasons to deny the claim," even if the incident occurs on the street/under normal driving, and even if the failure wasnt the result of a modification.

does anyone have any first hand knowledge of this? or thoughts?
Old 09-17-2010, 01:19 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm curious as well. In 12 months I'll face the same situation with my GT3.
Old 09-17-2010, 01:46 PM
JFA65
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Curious 2! Warranty up in 24 months.
Old 09-17-2010, 02:23 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts

I've heard good things about Easy Care. I also recommend to only get a higher deductible warranty, to cover you for big repair (engine failure, tranny, diff, etc...), while you pay for smaller stuff yourself.
Old 09-17-2010, 02:30 PM
BoxsterG
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Honestly, based on my experiences, you answered your own question on this one. They will be looking for a way to deny the claim if they are aware that you track the car. However, if the warranty company isn't aware of you tracking the car, then they would cover it if the feel it is not something caused by such an event.

Good luck on this one!
Old 09-17-2010, 02:35 PM
chrisk1200
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I had a freind that bought a used 968 convertible. He immediately bough tan extended warranty for it. Soon the car developed some problems and he contacted the warranty co. They dodged him and when he finally got a hold of them they came up with a long list of reasons they wouldn't cover anything. That extended waranty wasn't worth crap. Be careful some of those companies really are BS.
Old 09-17-2010, 02:59 PM
sizquik
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a warranty on my S4 that had mods that was voided. The actual warranty was worth it and paid for itself 2X over but one time an inspector came out and saw I had a cat-back exhaust and non OEM shocks and springs and the warranty was subsequently voided.
Old 09-18-2010, 06:45 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 126 Posts

I purchased EasyCare when I picked up the car in the states. I would not say they are that "easy" necessarily, but they do give me some degree of piece of mind. As with all those companies, I believe that they will use every excuse in the book to attempt to disqualify your claim--so be cautious.

Quick Reply: "extended" warranty