Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Next 911 interior

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 01:24 AM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Wow - that's the new PTK model - where you get both PDK and a full-on 6spd merged into one - buttons on the wheel, shifter on the console - ought to be a blast.
Old 09-23-2010, 01:27 AM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

No more E-brake handle mods I reckon...
Old 09-23-2010, 05:23 AM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by stevepow
Wow - that's the new PTK model - where you get both PDK and a full-on 6spd merged into one - buttons on the wheel, shifter on the console - ought to be a blast.
I highly doubt that... could be that wheels are being shared to confuse us, or take off from parts department on a 6-speed car... having said all that.. WHO KNOWS!
Old 09-23-2010, 11:43 AM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by alexb76
I highly doubt that... could be that wheels are being shared to confuse us, or take off from parts department on a 6-speed car... having said all that.. WHO KNOWS!
No, if they want to confuse us, they'll break out the schnaps.
Old 09-23-2010, 12:18 PM
sizquik
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Love it.. gimme more buttons!
Old 09-23-2010, 12:28 PM
nota_troll
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I hate the center stacks in our cars. This one is even worse. IMO the 996s have the right mix. A simple center console with the potential to remove the center stack (can't find a good pic).
Old 09-23-2010, 12:46 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by docfink
Check out leftlanenews.com

Very Panamera-like as anticipated, with traditional 911 gauge cluster. Looks like a real winner.
i do not think race car should have million of buttons around shiftstick. even if it is a PDK stick.
Old 09-23-2010, 01:06 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Here ya go. Gotta have the proper study material to make your decent critical analyses.

IMO, at least the chunky, "shoved-in-there" effect of the 997.1 PCM/AC/etc is gone. Looks a little more flowing.

Still too many buttons but it's gotta look like a testosterone-poisoned fighter jet to sell, right?

Now they've crossed the line where the bigger much more prominent shifter looks like a HUUUUGE joystick in there. Good for getting a good grip on! Should put some red buttons on it to get full effect. Next version - the shifter might be in the middle of the seat, between the legs where it's supposed to be?

911T interior attached for perspective, Ahhhhhhh..., THOSE were the clean and simple good old days!

LOL. Just having some fun. Kidding around.
Attached Images   
Old 09-23-2010, 01:35 PM
kkapoor
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think it looks great and am all for moving the interior forward in design. It's quite clear that Porsche is unifying the interior design language of all their cars. No need to live in the past.
Old 09-23-2010, 01:35 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by nota_troll
I hate the center stacks in our cars. This one is even worse. IMO the 996s have the right mix. A simple center console with the potential to remove the center stack (can't find a good pic).
I think this is what you're referring to. These are pics of the interior of my old 996. The lower part of the dash center console with the CD holder, storage bin etc was removed and replaced with a carpet piece. I believe the GT3's of that vintage had this "console delete" feature. It also mimics the open area under the dash in the older 911's.
Attached Images   
Old 09-23-2010, 02:09 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

The lines and layout of the dash look really nice. Porsche is finally updating their interiors to match the performance of their cars (better than the competition!) which is the way it should be. I'm not sure I like all the buttons though, that can't be easy to use when driving. There must be a happy medium to eliminate most of the buttons and only keep important things like windows, HVAC etc.
Old 09-23-2010, 03:25 PM
johnwb
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm glad we're past the 996 look.
The current solution is not simple physically, but it is more simple looking than the new. Oh well. I'm pretty sure we'll all want one.
Old 09-23-2010, 03:33 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by johnwb
I'm glad we're past the 996 look.
The current solution is not simple physically, but it is more simple looking than the new. Oh well. I'm pretty sure we'll all want one.
I agree. Much prefer my 997.2 interior to the old 996. OTOH, the more I see the new layout, if that's what it's going to be, the more I think I like it.
Old 09-23-2010, 04:01 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by LlBr
Here ya go. Gotta have the proper study material to make your decent critical analyses.

IMO, at least the chunky, "shoved-in-there" effect of the 997.1 PCM/AC/etc is gone. Looks a little more flowing.

Still too many buttons but it's gotta look like a testosterone-poisoned fighter jet to sell, right?

911T interior attached for perspective, Ahhhhhhh..., THOSE were the clean and simple good old days!

Great way to look at them both...

I certainly like the sharp edges and straight lines around the air vents, very sporty, modern looking... I also like the angle of the NAV, Dashboard, and the materials and button colours...

but COME ONE, there's just WAY TOO MANY BUTTONS! WAY TOO MANY! It sure looks a lot like Audi. I actually suspect they might have moved the window up/down button here as I am not sure why one needs that many controls?!
Old 09-23-2010, 04:25 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 393 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by alexb76
Great way to look at them both...

Opinions will fall in two different camps - high visual entropy or simplicity. Guess where I fall?

Someone I know says that car design converges (in the limit) to the same solution, i.e., at some point all cars will look the same. We know that this interior migrates from the Panamera but in the sports car world the 991 is now approaching the look of MB and AM. I guess that convergence is coming, but I much prefer a simpler design, like the Exige - talk about minimalist.

Quick Reply: Next 911 interior