Sponsored by:

Spoiler Issue Need advise

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2010, 02:03 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 126 Posts

There you go! Yes. Sometimes it will go up earlier when engine temps demand it. Wow! 140ºF is getting up there.
Old 09-26-2010, 04:33 PM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Received 133 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
There you go! Yes. Sometimes it will go up earlier when engine temps demand it. Wow! 140ºF is getting up there.

I wonder and would assume, that if one would keep the tail up at all times, it would keep the engine bay and subsequently the engine cooler. Almost like running a cooler thermostat.
Old 09-26-2010, 05:02 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 393 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by SARGEPUG
I wonder and would assume, that if one would keep the tail up at all times, it would keep the engine bay and subsequently the engine cooler. Almost like running a cooler thermostat.
I do not think the raised spoiler cools the engine that much, although it may cool it marginally. I think it primarily cools the ancillaries, composite/plastic intake, coolant reservoir, and such.
Old 05-14-2011, 10:30 PM
GuyIncognito
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

bumping this thread instead of starting another.

today I was washing the 997, and raised the spoiler manually to clean the edges around the spoiler (yes I'm mildly OCD).

when it was raising, it made that horrible groaning noise.

some have mentioned spraying silicone lubricant will solve the problem; but where to spray? is there a diagram, anyone have some pics of their repair, etc?

TIA!
Old 05-15-2011, 12:45 AM
fgv1it
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Dartmouth
I've only owned my 07 4 cab for a couple months and have been bothered as to if my spoiler is raising up when I'm going 70+ mph. You really can't see it when sitting in the car driving. Then yesterday I manually raised it in the driveway and it went up sounding like an old squeaky door. So now I'm asking all of you, how do I know if the spoiler is engaging while driving? Do I have to have somebody follow me to tell me if it went up? What should I do to quiet that squeak? Silicone spray on the arms that raise it or some other lube?
There is a warning that appears on the dash if the spoiler does NOT deploy (go up) as designed. If you do not see anything unusual on the display, it means the spoiler is working as designed, and it's up.
Old 05-15-2011, 02:25 AM
Vancouver-BC
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I hit 120 km/h I see a flashing circle around the 120, does this mean the spoiler is not employing or is this tied to some speed warning.
Old 05-15-2011, 12:53 PM
cpbmd
Rennlist Member

Received 214 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by Vancouver-BC
When I hit 120 km/h I see a flashing circle around the 120, does this mean the spoiler is not employing or is this tied to some speed warning.
That is the speed warning that can be set by you at any speed you desire. I have mine set at 70mph. You can toggle through the various options using the lower arm on the left of the steering column. Look at the manual for the exact directions although I think it is pretty much self explanatory once you start playing with it.
Old 05-15-2011, 02:43 PM
Vancouver-BC
Instructor

Thanks for the information.

Michael
Old 05-15-2011, 04:32 PM
solrac6262
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I had the same squeaky problem, stealer replaced motor under warranty
Old 05-15-2011, 09:42 PM
Dartmouth
Burning Brakes

Received 120 Likes on 65 Posts

Well I started this post and maybe I can help someone with the spoiler as I fixed my own. I used silicone spray and what I did was spray the hydrolic steel piston over and over walking back into the car, raising and lowering. Slowly and with each saturating spray of silicone it got a little quieter and quieter until finally it went up and down smoothly without any noise. It takes patience and persistence but keep spraying they two cylinders that raise and lower the spoiler. Hope you have the success I did.
Old 05-15-2011, 10:14 PM
GuyIncognito
Rennlist Member

Well I started this post and maybe I can help someone with the spoiler as I fixed my own. I used silicone spray and what I did was spray the hydrolic steel piston over and over walking back into the car, raising and lowering. Slowly and with each saturating spray of silicone it got a little quieter and quieter until finally it went up and down smoothly without any noise. It takes patience and persistence but keep spraying they two cylinders that raise and lower the spoiler. Hope you have the success I did.
thanks, that's what I was looking for! I'll give it a shot.
Old 05-16-2011, 11:26 AM
cpbmd
Rennlist Member

Received 214 Likes on 102 Posts

Thanks for the information. My spoiler is a little noisy too. I am going to give silicone a shot.
Old 05-16-2011, 11:28 AM
Kuhan
Racer

Mine is also noisy although I didn't notice it until I was standing behind the car a popped it to clean. I never hear anything when driving...

So what kind of silicone are we to use?
Old 05-16-2011, 11:03 PM
Dartmouth
Burning Brakes

Received 120 Likes on 65 Posts

Just a standard silicone mechanical spray will be fine. Don't be afraid to saturate it and continue to raise it and lower it a few times after each application. The idea here is to get the parts to be smooth and lubricated when raising all the way from the highest point open to completely closed. So spray generously,raise up and down, up and down four or more times, lubricate again generously, and again up and down over and over. It will eventually be without any noise at all.
Old 05-23-2011, 10:57 PM
GuyIncognito
Rennlist Member

Just a standard silicone mechanical spray will be fine. Don't be afraid to saturate it and continue to raise it and lower it a few times after each application. The idea here is to get the parts to be smooth and lubricated when raising all the way from the highest point open to completely closed. So spray generously,raise up and down, up and down four or more times, lubricate again generously, and again up and down over and over. It will eventually be without any noise at all.
I did this fix today, worked like a charm. thanks!

Quick Reply: Spoiler Issue Need advise