Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is this normal?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2010, 10:05 PM
Kuhan
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here in humid Houston, I usually get condensation on the outside of the window right where the vents blow. It's hugely annoying but I have yet to find a good remedy...
Old 10-04-2010, 07:07 PM
BobbyB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Kuhan - super humid - no ideas at all

Mike - Hmmm. when I turn on the defroster the AC goes off and the compressor stops working (check your manual). Once you turn off the defroster, the AC comes back on. This doesn't mean that all airflow away from the windows stop, just that there is no AC when in defrost mode. Without the compressor working you will not dehumidify - you can test this my turning on the A/C and then hit the defrost. Also at 36 -37 deg F, the compressor will not run, even if the AC (auto) lamp is lit. This is the way the systems are designed, which is why to the OP, I would think that this a normal condition.
Old 10-04-2010, 09:36 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by BobbyB
Mike - Hmmm. when I turn on the defroster the AC goes off and the compressor stops working (check your manual). Once you turn off the defroster, the AC comes back on. This doesn't mean that all airflow away from the windows stop, just that there is no AC when in defrost mode. Without the compressor working you will not dehumidify - you can test this my turning on the A/C and then hit the defrost. Also at 36 -37 deg F, the compressor will not run, even if the AC (auto) lamp is lit. This is the way the systems are designed, which is why to the OP, I would think that this a normal condition.
Bobby, don't know what to say. I've read the manual; there's nothing there that says that the AC doesn't work with the defroster, only that it will shut off under "exteme load" and at temps < 37 deg F. Maybe you can point to the specific section/page you're referring to.

I just went out and tried this again, engine running:

1. Pushed AC off switch manually; AC is off. indicator light turns on showing AC is in economy mode. Front fan for condensor is off. Compressor is off. Defroster is off

2. Engaged defroster; interior fan goes to high and air is directed to windshield; indicator light on "AC off " switch goes out. Front fan for condensor comes on. Compressor comes on.

3. Disengage defroster; light on "AC off" button comes back on. Front condensor fan goes off. Compressor disengages.

I can't explain why we're getting different results. My car is a 2009 Carrera S which has Auto climate control as standard. Does your car have a different climate system?
Old 10-04-2010, 11:20 PM
BobbyB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Mike, I think we are saying the same thing overall. I believe we have similar systems, mine came with Auto Climate standard also. However I noticed that you said you have a AC off button. I don't, I have to power down my fan to turn off the AC manually.

I went out to my car to duplicate what you've described, here is what I came up with.

It's your #2, where the confusion comes in. When the defroster is on, for those few minutes, the compressor is not condensing, fan however is running. At this time only hot air comes out. Similar to setting the AC on auto mode during the winter, you get conditioned air, hot or warm but no condensing. Because it is not condensing or cooling, no cold air comes out, which is why I state that the AC is pretty much not working while in defrost mode.

At any rate, a good discussion. PS - just left So Cal 113 F last week -needed AC for sure
Old 10-05-2010, 03:33 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by BobbyB
Mike, I think we are saying the same thing overall. I believe we have similar systems, mine came with Auto Climate standard also. However I noticed that you said you have a AC off button. I don't, I have to power down my fan to turn off the AC manually.

I went out to my car to duplicate what you've described, here is what I came up with.

It's your #2, where the confusion comes in. When the defroster is on, for those few minutes, the compressor is not condensing, fan however is running. At this time only hot air comes out. Similar to setting the AC on auto mode during the winter, you get conditioned air, hot or warm but no condensing. Because it is not condensing or cooling, no cold air comes out, which is why I state that the AC is pretty much not working while in defrost mode.

At any rate, a good discussion. PS - just left So Cal 113 F last week -needed AC for sure
Ok, we'll leave it at that.

You picked an interesting time to be in LA. All time hottest temps there, for any date. Up here in NorCal we set records for this time of year; only got to 104 where I am.

Quick Reply: Is this normal?